General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tire recommendations ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:21 AM

Tire recommendations ??

I am planning on getting a set of 17" rims and tires for this spring and wanted some recommendations on tires. I have snow tires for winter so I am looking for a high performance summer tire. Please post any good experiences that you have had with different performance tires. Also anyone used the Kumho Ecsta MXs?? From the reviews at Tire Rack they seem to be a pretty good tire, much better than the Ecsta 712s which I have heard a lot of complaint about. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:32 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Toyo T1S
Old 12-31-2002, 06:32 AM
//M5'ver

Originally posted by bags533
Toyo T1S
wb

Old 12-31-2002, 06:43 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

There is a great new tire on the market. It is relatively cheap, too. Check it out here!!!

Seriously, there are a few threads on this in the last few days. Consensus: Sumitomo HTR+ and Dunlop SP Sport A2 are frontrunners for price and performance. Also, the RE 950 or RE 930 is a popular tire, but I can never remember which it is.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have to agree. I have these right now ... they stick like glue in the rain ... & I'm not exaggerating!

I bought a set of Bridgestone S-03's ... they have a much nicer tire pattern and are also supposed to be sticky ... but the tire wear rating is only 220 whereas the T1S is 280.

Originally posted by bags533
Toyo T1S
Old 12-31-2002, 11:23 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by phenryiv1
Seriously, there are a few threads on this in the last few days. Consensus: Sumitomo HTR+ and Dunlop SP Sport A2 are frontrunners for price and performance. Also, the RE 950 or RE 930 is a popular tire, but I can never remember which it is.

While those are all good tires, they are not summer performance tires...
Old 12-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by mzmtg

While those are all good tires, they are not summer performance tires...
I see the distinction. So he is looking for 3-season performance tires... :lightbulb:
Old 12-31-2002, 12:18 PM

As was pointed out I am looking for a High Performance Summer tire, not a performance all season tire.

I need something that sticks really good in dry weather, is good in wet, and has a decent tread life rating. I'm not looking for anything real cheap but also not $200 a tire. Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:31 PM

I have Kumho 712 and I love them!! 225/40/zr18
Old 12-31-2002, 03:38 PM

I've heard great things about Firehawk ... I don't know if that's the manufacturer or the model name .. but do a search .. it's supposed to be significantly better than the Kumho's.

Originally posted by Black97SE
As was pointed out I am looking for a High Performance Summer tire, not a performance all season tire.

I need something that sticks really good in dry weather, is good in wet, and has a decent tread life rating. I'm not looking for anything real cheap but also not $200 a tire. Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've got the Firehawk SZ50EP's and think that they are great. Excellent ratings at Tirerack and awesome tread life rating at 340. Very smooth, quiet, yet grippy in the wet/dry. Very, very happy with these tires.

Albert
Old 12-31-2002, 10:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

tire recommendations

My Bridgestone S-03's are verrrry sticky, and do not hydroplane unless the water is several inches deep. They do have a rating of 220, but with 4000 miles of wear they have hardly worn. I have 215/55/16's, they are 6-ply with very stiff sidewalls, and Tirerack quoted me $134 each. I may be wrong, but you don't need 40 or 45 series tires to get excellent road hugging ability. Check out the customer reviews on Tirerack. They are expensive, but if you want the ultimate in performance and safety (and cool looks), get the S-03's.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yokohama makes excellent sport tires; they just stopped making A520's and moved up to something else I think. I have A520's and they own.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:38 AM

a few of my friends have sumitomo HTR+ .......they're a great all around tire
Old 01-01-2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Black97SE

The price point on 17" is simply gone. Chrysler family cars have 17's on them now. Shopping for 17's is like using a 15" computer monitor because it's under $99. It's not 1994 anymore, it's 2k3!

Time for 18's or stock if you ask me. With that said, Yoko AVS ES100's in a 235-40/WR18. Why buy tire that have been around 2-3 years when the latest/greatest doesn't slam your pocketbook? Folks need to remember it's a Maxima, not a Carerra 4. Those tires suit this car quite well imho.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

The price point on 17" is simply gone. Chrysler family cars have 17's on them now. Shopping for 17's is like using a 15" computer monitor because it's under $99. It's not 1994 anymore, it's 2k3!
True .. but maybe he's sticking to 17's b/c he'd rather have performance? A 17" rim at the track will GENERALLY provide better times @ the track over an 18" rim.

Time for 18's or stock if you ask me. With that said, Yoko AVS ES100's in a 235-40/WR18. Why buy tire that have been around 2-3 years when the latest/greatest doesn't slam your pocketbook?
I've had the T1-S's and now the S03's so I cannot comment on the Yoko's, but I like the tried, tested & true.

Folks need to remember it's a Maxima, not a Carerra 4. Those tires suit this car quite well imho.
You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with this analogy.

Let's say Maxima & Carerra 4 are people.

Maxima is an individual making $50K per annum.

Carerra 4 is an individual making $200K per annum.

Maxima cannot shop in the same stores? dress in the same clothes? live in the same neighbourhood or in any way be similar to Carerra 4 becaue they're in different leagues?

You can't put limitations on people or what they want to do with what is theirs.

I like to feel at ease when I drive. I find that the T1-S & S03's provide that safety and comfort when I drive in differing weather conditions, road conditions as well as my eclectic driving habits. I may not be making as much money as someone driving a Carerra 4 (or .. maybe I am? )... but that doesn't mean I can't use my hard earned money to buy whatever I want.

Sorry .. it's New Years Day and I'm actually doing some work ... so I'm a little ticked off

Happy New Year all!
Old 01-01-2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya

True .. but maybe he's sticking to 17's b/c he'd rather have performance? A 17" rim at the track will GENERALLY provide better times @ the track over an 18" rim.

I've had the T1-S's and now the S03's so I cannot comment on the Yoko's, but I like the tried, tested & true.

You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with this analogy.

Let's say Maxima & Carerra 4 are people.

Maxima is an individual making $50K per annum.

Carerra 4 is an individual making $200K per annum.

Maxima cannot shop in the same stores? dress in the same clothes? live in the same neighbourhood or in any way be similar to Carerra 4 becaue they're in different leagues?

You can't put limitations on people or what they want to do with what is theirs.

I like to feel at ease when I drive. I find that the T1-S & S03's provide that safety and comfort when I drive in differing weather conditions, road conditions as well as my eclectic driving habits. I may not be making as much money as someone driving a Carerra 4 (or .. maybe I am? )... but that doesn't mean I can't use my hard earned money to buy whatever I want.

Sorry .. it's New Years Day and I'm actually doing some work ... so I'm a little ticked off

Happy New Year all!
There's a certain term, what is it, wannabe? I've seen the arguments where people recommend Pilot Sport's for the Maxima at $247 each. When it's not your money, ie your parents', spend away! But when you have to get out there and earn it, it's too much for a Maxima. It's a shame that Econ 101 is quickly forgotten by the 10th grade.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:30 PM

I'm this bored .. so I went and researched the last thread you posted in.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....49#post1664949

Are you on a crusade to educate the maxima.org community in economics & philosophy?

Are you on a crusade to teach kids to gauge their parents hard earned money ... teach them to be irresponsible by thinking that if it's not their money .. spend away?

There's a certain term, what is it, wannabe?
Are you calling all maxima.org members who modify their cars wanabe's? What did you mean by that comment?

I've seen the arguments where people recommend Pilot Sport's for the Maxima at $247 each. When it's not your money, ie your parents', spend away!
I wish your kids (past/present/future) could see this .. but wait .. considering how cheap you appear to be in your posts .. you probably couldn't justify having kids.

But when you have to get out there and earn it, it's too much for a Maxima. It's a shame that Econ 101 is quickly forgotten by the 10th grade.
Why buy even a Maxima then? There's nothing wrong with a Cavalier? A Corolla? Heck .. even a Yugo! Your Maxima takes you from Point A to Point B. So will the Cavalier, Corolla & Yugo ... they'll even cost you less to fill up and maintain as they're available in a four cylinder which costs less!
Old 01-01-2003, 06:12 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Time for 18's or stock if you ask me. With that said, Yoko AVS ES100's in a 235-40/WR18. Why buy tire that have been around 2-3 years when the latest/greatest doesn't slam your pocketbook? Folks need to remember it's a Maxima, not a Carerra 4. Those tires suit this car quite well imho.

A few things...

1. it's HIS, not your, choice on what size he wants.

2. ANY day you want to try your tires VS my T1S's let me know.

3. another great thing is what I do with MY money is my choice again... and if I beg my parents for it or work 60 hours a week to get it does not matter

Now with that being said, is there a good tire at a decent price yes. But he asked for RECOMMENDATIONS. So I gave mine.

You put in your opinon, I did the same.

Am I correct? Are you incorret?

NO... Just 2 people with opinons.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:16 PM

As others have said, it is my opinion what size rims to go with I asked for a recommendation on tires not rim size.

I am planning to buy a very light 17" rim because I am looking for performance, I plan to do some drag racing and autocrossing. So I am looking for a good tire that will be able to handle both.

All of us here realize it is a Maxima and not a Carerra 4 but that doesn't mean that the car is not worthy of the best tires. You buy the tires for your needs, and my needs are to stick to the road, not to buy "tires that suit this car".