General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ooglie Hyper Ground project

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 03:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ooglie Hyper Ground project

Hey all-

Just wanted to report in on what I've been up to this winter break. Since I've been low on cash and really bored, I decided to go ahead with this project.

It took me one night, about 4ish hours or so. My garage is so cramped for space it took me a while to get around.

Anyway, go here if you want to know how to do it.

I did mostly everything Mishmosh did...except I kept the stock battery ground cable. I removed it initally but realized that it was a very efficient looking design and was very big gauge wise.

So, I added...

1) 4 AWG wire from battery (-) to chassis ground (nearest one).
2) 4 AWG wire from battery (-) to engine block bracket.
3) 4 AWG wire from engine block bracket to chassis ground.
4) 4 AWG wire from alternator bracket to engine block bracket.
5) 4 AWG wire from passenger chassis ground to upper manifold (holding the gold bracket).
6) 4 AWG wire from upper manifold bracket to battery (-)

7) 10 AWG wire from both ground locations on upper manifold to battery (-)
8) 10 AWG wire from headlight chassis ground to battery ground.

I'm happy with my work. I had 18'', 24'', and 49'' wire.

Results

I really didn't expect much. Mostly, I just wanted to clean and sand off the ground points and add anti-corrosive gel stuff, and I did that.

After I finished, I closely inspected any differences (like I do with every mod) and simply noticed that the interior lights on the bose and manual climate control panel were a bit brighter (1), and the car did not feel like it was about to die if I almost stalled (2)(headlights dimmed considerably less). Last thing was the window switches; the green lights brighter(3).

Other than that, nothing else changed much that I noticed. headlight output was not brighter, braking didn't improve (I heard some WEIRD claim from another ooglie guy that his brakes improved because they're "electronic brake boosted"? Gah! bs...hehe) gauge cluster was the same brightness, and I didn't have power gains that I could feel; only that good feeling of not driving your car for a few days and getting back in it and feeling that torque.

That's about it. There was no drastic difference, but I feel really good that I'm not bottlenecking any of my electrical flow anymore, and I'm pleased that at least I have brighter interior gauge lighting because it's been bothering me in the past.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:41 AM