General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Windsheild Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Windsheild Wipers

My wife drives a 1990 Maxima SE, and today the "windshield wipers stopped working". It needs a new arm that connects the wiper motor to the pivot for the passengers side wiper. The end-link is broken at the passengers wiper pivot. I'm not sure on how to seperate the other end-link from the wiper motor? It's also a little difficult to get to. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:18 PM

Are you saying that the wiper arms are stripped and wont come off teh motor? If thats so then all you do is unbolt the 14mm nut thats on top and wiggle the wiper arm off the motor and your set. if you stripped the little teeth thats on the motor then you might have to replace that part
Old 01-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Handsome

A little OT, but on my eclipse when it snowed the force of the wipers having to move the snow caused the nut (that attaches to the wiper and motor) to unscrew a little. This caused the wipers to not work. When I turned the wipers on, the only thing that moved was the nut, I just tightened it and it worked fine.

Hope this helps, I thought it might be relevant to someone with the recent snow.

Good luck with your wifes car.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Street Reeper
A little OT, but on my eclipse when it snowed the force of the wipers having to move the snow caused the nut (that attaches to the wiper and motor) to unscrew a little. This caused the wipers to not work. When I turned the wipers on, the only thing that moved was the nut, I just tightened it and it worked fine.

Hope this helps, I thought it might be relevant to someone with the recent snow.

Good luck with your wifes car.
Good suggestion, I would try this before taking things apart.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The 14mm nuts that hold the wipers down are tight and the teeth are still good. Underneath the cowling there is a two-foot long arm that connects the two wipers together so that they move together, this part is ok, as well. Another two-foot arm connects the wiper motor (one motor runs both wipers) to the passengers side wiper. It is the arm that connects the wiper motor to the wipers that ia broken. I'm having trouble getting that arm loosened from the wiper motor. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:57 PM

My car has the same problem. Not sure how to tackle this since there is very little room to remove the wiper motor. When I get another chance to work on this I will try the following....

1. Unbolt the solenoid directly in front of the wiper motor. This gives just enough movement to get at all the wiper motor bolts.

2. Unbolt the wiper motor.

3. Wiggle the wiper motor until you can enough of the nut is exposed to get a wrench on it.

4. Loosen and wiggle, losen and wiggle.

5 follow step 4 until the not drops off into the blind cowl area that is inexcessable.

6. try you your new favortie expeletive deleted phrases.

7. Pull rod out from drivers side.

8. Retrieve nut.

Putting it back together should be about as tough although I think steps 6 and 8 will be repeated many times before you get the nut started.

You might try some form of epoxy to glue the arm back on. It isn't a pivot point so it should work in theory. And since the arm basically snaps over a hex nut ot the wiper shaft arm it should have good mechanical fit too.

IMHO this wiper motor arm was a poor design by Nissan.

Originally posted by natz
The 14mm nuts that hold the wipers down are tight and the teeth are still good. Underneath the cowling there is a two-foot long arm that connects the two wipers together so that they move together, this part is ok, as well. Another two-foot arm connects the wiper motor (one motor runs both wipers) to the passengers side wiper. It is the arm that connects the wiper motor to the wipers that ia broken. I'm having trouble getting that arm loosened from the wiper motor. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:44 PM
rav

This happened to me last year. Mine was on a 97 though
The rod that connects the motor to the wiper arm fits with a ball and socket joint.

If I remember right, you have to take the wiper arm off from the base, then you can just pull on the connecting rod to take it out.

You'll figure it out when you see it.
I would give more details, but my memory ain't that good and it's too cold outside to check now

Good luck
Old 02-07-2003, 06:31 AM

i feel your pain i had to do this a while ago
yea popping the arms in and out of the sockets was difficult
we eneded up using a metal rod that had two prongs on the end to pop em in and out that gave us more leverage
hope you can figure something out because driving without wipers is harder than i thought....