General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 07:38 PM

The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

I've been hearing complaints recently about Several Nissan cars having a single muffler but dual exhaust. I think the reason that Nissan does this is to actually reduce restriction and weight. If you think about it, a muffler is a device that quiets the exhaust noises of the car. It also creates restriction. Which would you rather have, a larger single pipe into a muffler, or a smaller pipe going into a 2 mufflers causing more restriction than the first case. In addition only a few cars have TRUE dual exhaust and this does not include any BMW or Mustang. The only cars that I know that have True dual exhaust are Pontiac Grand Am, Pontiac Trans Am, and the Chevrolet Camaro. Why are they considered true dual exhausts you ask? The reason is that they have two pipes going into two Converters out to two pipes and finally to two Mufflers. This is one of the reasons why the LS1's other than displacement beat the Mustangs so bad. Also this is one of the reasons that a 1999 stock Pontiac Grand Am GT Automatic can do 0-60 as fast as a 2K-2k1 Automatic Maxima. Another reason for this is the GA GT has cold air induction stock and is able to use its only 175 HP more effectively. However the Maxima kills it in the Quarter Mile and from personal expericance I'd rather drive a Maxima than a Grand Am any day of the week
Old 01-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

ok...
Old 01-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

que???
Old 01-07-2003, 08:01 PM

thanks newbie
Old 01-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You hit that one on the head
Old 01-07-2003, 08:44 PM

Last time I checked maximas had one exhaust exit
Old 01-07-2003, 08:59 PM

"Rrriiiiiiiiiiiiiight."
Old 01-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

Originally posted by jemartin
The only cars that I know that have True dual exhaust are Pontiac Grand Am, Pontiac Trans Am, and the Chevrolet Camaro. Why are they considered true dual exhausts you ask? The reason is that they have two pipes going into two Converters out to two pipes and finally to two Mufflers. This is one of the reasons why the LS1's other than displacement beat the Mustangs so bad. Also this is one of the reasons that a 1999 stock Pontiac Grand Am GT Automatic can do 0-60 as fast as a 2K-2k1 Automatic Maxima. Another reason for this is the GA GT has cold air induction stock and is able to use its only 175 HP more effectively.

The Grand Am, Trans Am, and Camaro DO NOT have "true duals". They're fake. The exhaust manifolds on these cars Y into a single pipe. The F-Body (Trans Am and Camaro) use ONE muffler only. Can you not see it from the rear of the car with two pipes coming out from each end? The Grand Am, like the Grand Prix GT/GTP uses a seperate Y-pipe to split the rear of the exhaust into two pipes and then into two mufflers. To name a few cars with fake dual exhausts:

Murano
350Z
3rd gen Altima
6th gen Maxima
G35 coupe
Honda Accord
Grand Am and varients
Grand Prix GT/GTP
F-Body

Cars with true dual exhausts:

M5
Corvette
Impala SS and other Caprice models
Mustang
Crown Victoria

Dave
Old 01-07-2003, 10:33 PM

Re: Re: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

Gotta chime in on the Corvette one as I just bought one. Even this one still isnt TRUE dual exhaust as the "H" or "X" pipe interconnects the 2 exhausts to one another. This is because there is better exhaust scavenging from the H/X instead of truely independent double exhaust.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:06 PM

keep it coming keep it coming!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:31 PM

Last Crown Vic I saw appeared not to have true duals because it was a cold morning and when it was idling, the exhaust only came out of the right pipe.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by surfermax92
Last Crown Vic I saw appeared not to have true duals because it was a cold morning and when it was idling, the exhaust only came out of the right pipe.
Was there a banana in the other pipe?
Old 01-08-2003, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

The Grand Am, Trans Am, and Camaro DO NOT have "true duals". They're fake. The exhaust manifolds on these cars Y into a single pipe. The F-Body (Trans Am and Camaro) use ONE muffler only. Can you not see it from the rear of the car with two pipes coming out from each end? The Grand Am, like the Grand Prix GT/GTP uses a seperate Y-pipe to split the rear of the exhaust into two pipes and then into two mufflers. To name a few cars with fake dual exhausts:

Murano
350Z
3rd gen Altima
6th gen Maxima
G35 coupe
Honda Accord
Grand Am and varients
Grand Prix GT/GTP
F-Body

M5
Corvette
Mustang
Crown Victoria

Dave
Yep. I would guess that the 350Z tried to copy the E46 M3, but only for show. E46 Me is an inline 6, and more importantly a BMW. BMW does not do things the fake way, and M3 does not have a dual exhaust, it has 4 large tips exiting a box-shaped muffler, with huge inlet pipes. Again, why would an I-6 have a dual exhaust? Honda is a big faker as is Acura. Nissan seems to have gotten on the bandwagon. Germans seem to be the opposite where many of the exhausts are hidden under the valence like the 745's and S-Classes. Very interesting that Jetta and Elantra followed their suit instead of the fake stuff. For most of the cars, such as the ones you mentioned it's just a styling move to attract the masses. But ain't we the enthusiasts who don't fall for it?
Old 01-08-2003, 01:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

I don't know what "true duals" mean but I also thought the E36 M3 had individual pipes from each 3 clyinders going in/out of the cat and into one muffler. It's odd because it fits "most" of the true dual defination better than most of the Honda/Acuras but it just doesn't have the two mufflers. Odd

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Yep. I would guess that the 350Z tried to copy the E46 M3, but only for show. E46 Me is an inline 6, and more importantly a BMW. BMW does not do things the fake way, and M3 does not have a dual exhaust, it has 4 large tips exiting a box-shaped muffler, with huge inlet pipes. Again, why would an I-6 have a dual exhaust? Honda is a big faker as is Acura. Nissan seems to have gotten on the bandwagon. Germans seem to be the opposite where many of the exhausts are hidden under the valence like the 745's and S-Classes. Very interesting that Jetta and Elantra followed their suit instead of the fake stuff. For most of the cars, such as the ones you mentioned it's just a styling move to attract the masses. But ain't we the enthusiasts who don't fall for it?
Old 01-08-2003, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ

Was there a banana in the other pipe?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:28 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Originally posted by SprintMax
lol it's peanut butta jelly time!
Old 01-08-2003, 06:51 AM

Murano
350Z
3rd gen Altima
6th gen Maxima
G35 coupe
Honda Accord
Grand Am and varients
Grand Prix GT/GTP
F-Body

M5
Corvette
Mustang
Crown Victoria

Dave
The M5 exhaust system actually has a pressure-equalizer passage that connects the two exhaust streams behind the converters, apparently this enhances low-speed torque. After the catalytic converters, it has a full dual exhaust system.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:30 AM

Chrysler Sebring

Just be glad you dont own a Chrysler Sebring Convertible. Upon examination you will notice what appears to be dual exhaust. Upon really close examination you will notice what is actually one exit pipe from the muffler that branches a into a fake second exit. Now that's what I call high performance.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Keven97SE

E46 M3s cost a helluva lot more than 350Zs, and one of the reasons is the true dual exhaust. A true-dual stainless exhaust would have added in the neighborhood of $500 more to the cost of the 350Z. Nissan was targeting an affordable sports car. They HAD to cut some corners to accomplish this. True, the car could have been easily 300 HP with a true-dual, but they figured 287 was sufficient.

It has NOTHING to do with Nissan be *stupid* or *cheap* but everything to do with making engineering decisions based on target vehicle specifications (cost, performance, etc).

Not every car can be a supercar because not everyone can afford a supercar nor do they want a supercar. Every car has a target audience.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:29 PM

Murano
350Z
3rd gen Altima
6th gen Maxima
G35 coupe
Honda Accord
Grand Am and varients
Grand Prix GT/GTP
F-Body

M5
Corvette
Mustang
Crown Victoria

Dave
Uhh, I have to make an adjustment to my Claim earlier. The 1995-1996 Camaros and Trans Ams have Dual Catalytic Converters and also true dual exhaust due to their dual Cats. Go to this webpage to confirm this. As you can see the 1995-1996 Camaros and T/A's have dual Cats, just to back up my claim.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Gotta chime in on the Corvette one as I just bought one. Even this one still isnt TRUE dual exhaust as the "H" or "X" pipe interconnects the 2 exhausts to one another. This is because there is better exhaust scavenging from the H/X instead of truely independent double exhaust.
Yes but this makes it better than true dual. Its been researched a lot.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:57 PM

cefiro?

is that pic of a Cefiro? your car looks waaay nice. impressive.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:51 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

I've been hearing complaints recently about Several Nissan cars having a single muffler but dual exhaust. I think the reason that Nissan does this is to actually reduce restriction and weight. If you think about it, a muffler is a device that quiets the exhaust noises of the car. It also creates restriction. Which would you rather have, a larger single pipe into a muffler, or a smaller pipe going into a 2 mufflers causing more restriction than the first case. In addition only a few cars have TRUE dual exhaust and this does not include any BMW or Mustang. The only cars that I know that have True dual exhaust are Pontiac Grand Am, Pontiac Trans Am, and the Chevrolet Camaro. Why are they considered true dual exhausts you ask? The reason is that they have two pipes going into two Converters out to two pipes and finally to two Mufflers. This is one of the reasons why the LS1's other than displacement beat the Mustangs so bad. Also this is one of the reasons that a 1999 stock Pontiac Grand Am GT Automatic can do 0-60 as fast as a 2K-2k1 Automatic Maxima. Another reason for this is the GA GT has cold air induction stock and is able to use its only 175 HP more effectively. However the Maxima kills it in the Quarter Mile and from personal expericance I'd rather drive a Maxima than a Grand Am any day of the week

OK. mustang v8 has TRUE DUAL exaust, starting with 87 model (86 in Cali, i believe), if you count the modern times. thats 2 exhaust headers, 2 cats (4, 6, whatever amount they have these days), followed by an H crossover for pressure equalization, followed by 2 mufflers, which end in 2 exhaust pipes.

I guess a definition of a true exhaust is one where the left side has the same amount of components as the right one.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Uhh, I have to make an adjustment to my Claim earlier. The 1995-1996 Camaros and Trans Ams have Dual Catalytic Converters and also true dual exhaust due to their dual Cats. Go to this webpage to confirm this. As you can see the 1995-1996 Camaros and T/A's have dual Cats, just to back up my claim.
Yes, but the pipes go into a single pipe right after the cats. They all still have a single muffler with two pipes exiting.

Dave
Old 01-12-2003, 01:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

Yes, but the pipes go into a single pipe right after the cats. They all still have a single muffler with two pipes exiting.

Dave
Liar!

Old 01-12-2003, 06:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust

Originally posted by Keven97SE
E46 M3s cost a helluva lot more than 350Zs, and one of the reasons is the true dual exhaust. A true-dual stainless exhaust would have added in the neighborhood of $500 more to the cost of the 350Z. Nissan was targeting an affordable sports car. They HAD to cut some corners to accomplish this. True, the car could have been easily 300 HP with a true-dual, but they figured 287 was sufficient.

It has NOTHING to do with Nissan be *stupid* or *cheap* but everything to do with making engineering decisions based on target vehicle specifications (cost, performance, etc).

Not every car can be a supercar because not everyone can afford a supercar nor do they want a supercar. Every car has a target audience.

M3 doesn't have a dual exhaust as far as I know, it's an I-6 so if it did do it the "Altima" or "Accord" fakey way it probably would have cost some HP. M3 has a very expensive muffler. No joke, when you're in a Maxima world you think it's outrageous to have to actually pay for features, but that's the German way.

But the 350Z has a V6 where it could benefit from a true dual. Look under the rear bumper and you may change your mind on what looks cheap and what doesn't. If you look under the rear bumper and decide you see quality, then great. That's your opinion using your standards. Even the G35 is listed as quasi in its description, now that's cheap!
Old 01-12-2003, 07:19 AM

This is one of the reasons why the LS1's other than displacement beat the Mustangs so bad.
I really don't think that the muffler is the reason they run faster!! I think 69 cubic inches has more to do with it!!!!!

BTW, refering to "true dual" exhaust has more to do with headers/manifolds back, not the exiting through the muffler.

Stangs have 2- 2 1/2" pipes from the manifolds back
LS1's have 1 3" (i think) pipe from the manifolds

So how is this "true dual"?? Because 2 pipes exit 1 muffler????
Old 01-12-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by 2000 SE

I really don't think that the muffler is the reason they run faster!! I think 69 cubic inches has more to do with it!!!!!

BTW, refering to "true dual" exhaust has more to do with headers/manifolds back, not the exiting through the muffler.

Stangs have 2- 2 1/2" pipes from the manifolds back
LS1's have 1 3" (i think) pipe from the manifolds

So how is this "true dual"?? Because 2 pipes exit 1 muffler????
Yeah, when you surf the web trying to find out what true fake dual is, they should show the underside of the Accord V6, Acura TL/CL, and then the Altima 3.5. If anything they probably cause more restriction than anything, just to show 2 mufflers. As for the 350Z, somebody probably is already working or has come out with an aftermarket fix for that atrocity!
Old 01-12-2003, 01:01 PM

yes. i agree. the farther away from the engine you mod, the less effect the mod has horsepowerwise/torquewise. the real first component of power is the short block and what it is offering. you can add inexpensive bolt on things forever, but they are really only an enhancer to the block (unless you add nitrous - an inexpensive way to quick, albeit temporary, power).
Old 01-24-2003, 07:24 PM

Anyway we could have a "true" dual exhaust on our maximas? Two 3" pipes, two cats and two mufflers? One pipe per three cylinders? Has anyone done this?
Old 01-24-2003, 07:44 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Hraesvelg
Anyway we could have a "true" dual exhaust on our maximas? Two 3" pipes, two cats and two mufflers? One pipe per three cylinders? Has anyone done this?
The Header collectors are parallel to eachother, so I don't know that a TRUE dual setup from the headers is possible. It is possible after the cat though. It'll cost you alot of money and you'd have to find a way to fit that other pipe down there without it scraping. Remember, there's only a single passageway for that single b-pipe.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Craig Mack

The Header collectors are parallel to eachother, so I don't know that a TRUE dual setup from the headers is possible. It is possible after the cat though. It'll cost you alot of money and you'd have to find a way to fit that other pipe down there without it scraping. Remember, there's only a single passageway for that single b-pipe.
How did you do yours? Is it just a single muffler, dual outlet?? Its pretty pimp...looks sweet
Old 01-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Handsome

Camaroes and T-A's do not have true dual exhaust.

Cobra's do though
Old 01-25-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Nothing wrong with not having a dual exhaust. But in the Altima and Accord V6's, what's the purpose? Not only does their exhaust cost more, it most likely costs HP because it's more restrictive. Do people want to pay in the mpg and HP dept just to look cool?
Old 01-25-2003, 10:49 PM

It would probably mean less restriction, because the exhaust has two paths to leave the engine not just one.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:28 AM

It would probably mean less restriction, because the exhaust has two paths to leave the engine not just one.
How's that? You have a CAT, and normally would have a muffler and resonator and then exhaust the system. Now you have a CAT, and double everything behind it. That's more surface area (double) for the exhaust gases to flow through.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:01 AM

We would have 2 equal paths for the gasses to exit instead of one, so there would be less resistance. Would you agree that for a given exhaust system, resistance increases as pressure increases? that's why some systems use dual exhausts. More area for the gasses to travel through and out. You said in your reply "That's more surface area (double) for the exhaust gases to flow through." Would you also agree that less area (smaller tubes) allow for more restriction? If so then think about dual exhausts=larger area for the gasses to go through= less pressure.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:23 AM

We would have 2 equal paths for the gasses to exit instead of one, so there would be less resistance. Would you agree that for a given exhaust system, resistance increases as pressure increases? that's why some systems use dual exhausts. More area for the gasses to travel through and out. You said in your reply "That's more surface area (double) for the exhaust gases to flow through." Would you also agree that less area (smaller tubes) allow for more restriction? If so then think about dual exhausts=larger area for the gasses to go through= less pressure.
Dual exhaust is one cat for each exhaust system, period. From what I understand, the EPA banned true duals around 1990 unless it came from the factory that way. Why do you want to have yet another Y-pipe after the cat? Surface area creates drag, and as far as I know drag coefficients on the tubing are the same whether you have a 4 cyl Altima or 6. Fake dual would be more restrictive than a single exhaust, provided you have one cat. We all like looks and are willing to pay some price, take 18" rims for example, but to pay in performance, just to have 2 pipes coming out the rear?
Old 01-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Dual exhaust is one cat for each exhaust system, period. From what I understand, the EPA banned true duals around 1990 unless it came from the factory that way. Why do you want to have yet another Y-pipe after the cat? Surface area creates drag, and as far as I know drag coefficients on the tubing are the same whether you have a 4 cyl Altima or 6. Fake dual would be more restrictive than a single exhaust, provided you have one cat. We all like looks and are willing to pay some price, take 18" rims for example, but to pay in performance, just to have 2 pipes coming out the rear?
There's nothing "banning" true duals, but each exhaust pipe must have the equipment to meet emissions. A large single pipe exhaust can flow as much as a heathly true dual. A 3.5" exhaust will move as much air as a true dual 2.5" exhaust.

Fakes duals are typically MORE restrictive due more bends and piping plus the restriction of an additonal muffler. The fake dual setups are all show. They look nice, but the only thing they add is weight. The Buick Regal GS sports the same exact motor as the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Both cars are rated at 240hp, but the Buick is typically a tick or two quicker than the GTP even though the Buick only has a single outlet exhaust.

Dave
Old 01-26-2003, 01:54 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

How did you do yours? Is it just a single muffler, dual outlet?? Its pretty pimp...looks sweet
Thanks for the compliment. Mine is the exact setup for a Camaro, except my muffler is facing vertical to the car instead of horizontal. It's a single flowmasters 80-series muffler made for camaro's with an inlet and dual outlets. I have about 1.2lbs. more in my setup over a single exhaust, and it looks soo much cooler IMO. And yes, steam/smoke comes out of BOTH sides.

Quick Reply: The real reason Nissan puts one muffler into dual exhaust