General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Are there any GOOD brands of glass, for the windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are there any GOOD brands of glass, for the windshield?

Hey guys...unfortunately a few days ago driving on the freeway i avoided a bumper sitting in the fast lane of the freeway, but lo-and-behold 1/4 mile later, a suburban kicks up what looks to be like the front lip of that bumper, and after swerving, it hits the passenger side of my car...the windshield part. Its a big spiderweb...it about 6" wide...and the spiderweb now extends to the top and bottom of the windshield. Now I know nissan glass tends to be a little soft (it chips and pits easily) is there a better brand i should go with? I know Nissan glass will always fit better, but is there an alternative?

Larry
Old 01-09-2003, 05:03 AM

Re: Are there any GOOD brands of glass, for the windshield?

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
Hey guys...unfortunately. Now I know nissan glass tends to be a little soft (it chips and pits easily) is there a better brand i should go with? is there an alternative?

Larry
PPG (I think its Pittsburg Paint & Glass, you know like the sponser for CART)
Old 01-09-2003, 08:00 AM

I got my windshield replaced by one of those onsite companies, I think it was Settles or something, for free (MA insurance) a year ago. They came out and did a great job. No leaks, nice and clean, but the problem is the glass itself sucks. The original glass was 4 years old and the new one looks worse after 1 year. It has alot of that pitting you are talking about. Just my experience.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

PPG
Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 AM

Stick with OEM. I was told a lot of cheaper aftermarket glasses do not hold up in an accident. The OEM glass is required to hold together on impact, it'll crack but you'll just have a latice. Some other MIT (made in Taiwan) glass does not comply. If you get in accident, you may have shards of glass in your face. Thanks to Ralph Nader for he college thesis on automotive safety.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:59 PM

Thanks guys..ive heard of PPG...im probably gonna have my car-repainted with thier paint hopefully a Merccedes silver, with a blue pearl. But i'll either stick with OEM (if i can find one at a junk yard) or PPG.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Ramius83

Thanks guys..ive heard of PPG...im probably gonna have my car-repainted with thier paint hopefully a Merccedes silver, with a blue pearl. But i'll either stick with OEM (if i can find one at a junk yard) or PPG.
Just to let you know, it is a difficult task to completely remove an OEM windshield without cracking it. Out of the 6 windshields I have seen replaced at my house, 5 cracked when they were removing the old ones. The only one that didn't crack was done by a guy that has been doing auto-glass repair/removal/installation for over 27 years. So, coming from a junkyards perspective, I don't think they will be able to remove it since they do not specialize in windshield removal and installation. I would just concentrate on finding a PPG retailer/installer, instead of trying to find a junked one.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Boost.....

PPG
Old 01-09-2003, 01:37 PM

If you do go with an onsite

Originally posted by tomj
I got my windshield replaced by one of those onsite companies, I think it was Settles or something, for free (MA insurance) a year ago. They came out and did a great job. No leaks, nice and clean, but the problem is the glass itself sucks. The original glass was 4 years old and the new one looks worse after 1 year. It has alot of that pitting you are talking about. Just my experience.

Try and give it as much time as possible to dry. They tell you you only need a couple of hours, but for it to really be strong it needs longer.