General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Sports Button FTW

AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!

today i went to meineke to get my 2k1 muffler installed on my car. It didn't look too bad, not bad at all, just looks kind of far back, like if u look from up top or even from like two steps back u can't see the muffler...maybe even a little farther back

the stuff on my bumper are from left over residue from those black bumper protectors...

but what eggs me the most is that my car sounds like garbage. When it starts up, its like real quiet which is great but when i'm revving high or just driving at medium rpm's, i still hear this nasty raspy sound, but this time it sounds even worst cause i dont have that deep exhaust to kind of hide the sound. Also i hear a knocking as if something is hitting the shield or something, but i'll go to meineke to take care of that tomorrow.

I think the straight pipe is to blame for the f'ed up sound. My car has been sounding good until i put it on and although with the aftermarket exhaust it sounded OK, now it sounds terrible. I also feel a decrease in power in my first gear now that i dont have my muffler. I think them fools took out my custom b-pipe too or something cause the dam muffler they took out is long as hell on side where it goes towards the car....

i just had to vent at dissapointment. The muffler did its job but didn't solve the problem i hoped it would....
Old 01-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!

Sorry to hear that...Well your light is packed and ready to ship, now all you need to do is buy my bumper, it will match your muffler perfect and has no residue on it!
Old 01-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have a resonator in the b pipe? usually without a resonator and a stock muffler, there will be a little raspy or metallic noise
Old 01-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
Do you have a resonator in the b pipe? usually without a resonator and a stock muffler, there will be a little raspy or metallic noise
good question, i have to ask 190hpkilla....i want that bumper but i would love to trade . How much would u sell it to me for?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Administrator

What BOV are you running? are they single BOV? or dual BOV's?
Originally posted by meccanoble
today i went to meineke to get my 2k1 muffler installed on my car. It didn't look too bad, not bad at all, just looks kind of far back, like if u look from up top or even from like two steps back u can't see the muffler...maybe even a little farther back

the stuff on my bumper are from left over residue from those black bumper protectors...

but what eggs me the most is that my car sounds like garbage. When it starts up, its like real quiet which is great but when i'm revving high or just driving at medium rpm's, i still hear this nasty raspy sound, but this time it sounds even worst cause i dont have that deep exhaust to kind of hide the sound. Also i hear a knocking as if something is hitting the shield or something, but i'll go to meineke to take care of that tomorrow.

I think the straight pipe is to blame for the f'ed up sound. My car has been sounding good until i put it on and although with the aftermarket exhaust it sounded OK, now it sounds terrible. I also feel a decrease in power in my first gear now that i dont have my muffler. I think them fools took out my custom b-pipe too or something cause the dam muffler they took out is long as hell on side where it goes towards the car....

i just had to vent at dissapointment. The muffler did its job but didn't solve the problem i hoped it would....
Old 01-09-2003, 03:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!

Ouch

Originally posted by SprintMax
Old 01-09-2003, 04:15 PM

Old 01-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Sports Button FTW

.....ok sprint, lol, i know you want to blow me but there are only two things that can come close to the personal riches and that's the maxi and those beeches that i adore so much...

can the turbo bashing end already?
Old 01-09-2003, 04:48 PM

My friends Jetta has the raspy sound also, his muffler rusted out, and they welded a new one on. And now my car sounds like crap too, I had to replace the cat because I failed emissions and they welded the new cat in.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!

So what was the conclusion? Even if they had something turbo related, I might be able to use some stuff.

.....ok sprint, lol, i know you want to blow me but there are only two things that can come close to the personal riches and that's the maxi and those beeches that i adore so much...

Old 01-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Re: Re: AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!

Originally posted by Jeff92se
So what was the conclusion? Even if they had something turbo related, I might be able to use some stuff.

i still dont know, haven't pursued it since finals...my fault dawg, but from the stats i saw its not as strong as harold's turbo, only better cause u get a new engine and it can take more damage but doesnt make sense to get if the highest damage it can take will only give the performance of harold's at average power...
Old 01-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!

I guess the name of the shop is still a secret?

i still dont know, haven't pursued it since finals...my fault dawg, but from the stats i saw its not as strong as harold's turbo, only better cause u get a new engine and it can take more damage but doesnt make sense to get if the highest damage it can take will only give the performance of harold's at average power...
Old 01-09-2003, 09:26 PM
no more maxima...

hahahaha...keep them coming
Old 01-09-2003, 09:33 PM
nc00max

Owww....still not letting that one go...

Old 01-09-2003, 10:25 PM
Sports Button FTW

booo, anyway, i remember shaking the muffler a little before having it put in, and it sounded like there was something loose inside of it...u guys think that may be the problem?
Old 01-09-2003, 10:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well if you don't want to persue it, PM me the name of the shop, address and phone number. I'll just call them to ask the specs. So what if it's not as strong.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

but from the stats i saw its not as strong as harold's turbo
what isn't "as strong"???
Old 01-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

sprint good one

mecca - i know .org member who is went through the exact same process and problems as you.

he had the 2k muffler put on and-

1. lost a little power
2. got chunk of his custom b-pipe thrown in the trash
3. muffler & piping set up was banging against rear beam

the only problem not the same as yours is the test pipe. if you remove it and put in the factory cat you wont be losing any power and your car will sound a little better.

factory mufflers have that tin-can sound when no resanators/cat converters are present.

as far as the power issue it is a trade off. a 5th gen muffler supposedly flows better than 4th gen but not as free flowing as an aftermarket muffler. you had an aftermarket muffler so you know what that sounds like. 5th gen = a little quieter = a little less power.

b-pipe wise you would have to get your car on the lift and see how botched up things are. your best bet is to take it back to the place which did your orginal b-pipe and have them re-do it all the way up to the muffler.

while they are in there see if they can put some more hangers to stabalize the can from moving around or something like that.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

booo, anyway, i remember shaking the muffler a little before having it put in, and it sounded like there was something loose inside of it...u guys think that may be the problem?
where is your custom catback that you had in you original pic? what kinda of muffler was the other one and how come you decided to change?
Old 01-10-2003, 12:06 AM

Yeah, like nismo2020 said, I would put the CAT back in. If it's still raspy after that, then put a resonator on the B-pipe somehow.

DW
Old 01-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by jcy98maxse

where is your custom catback that you had in you original pic? what kinda of muffler was the other one and how come you decided to change?
thanks for all the feedback guys. I switched cause pop's was complainiing about sound and offered to pay all expenses to change it (200 dollar budge including shipping). I was also getting tired of the raspy sound i was getting (firecracker type sound u get at high rpm's from some bootleg aftermarket mufflers). So i wanted something a LITTLE more quiet and a little louder than stock. REcommendations pointed towards the 5th gen muffler which i think is a little TOO quiet, or i guess i have to adjust, but that's my story. I'm going to see skeelo this weekend and with his help, my car will not only sound better but be more stabalized (RSB install ).

i definitely felt a decrease in power but its a sacrifice i'm willing to make for a good sounding car. I just hope the CAT will solve all problems. I'll take a pic of my aftermarket muffler tomorrow. Its like them Bomz ones, that have the short end...it was on car before i got it so i dont know TOO much about it except it was custom...

i also measured the hole of 5th gen muffler and its like 2" at best, more like 1.9-2 inches, F a 2.25. Tomorrow i'm going to go back to meineke and have them fix banging problems. I would have them change cat for me but they charge like 40 dollars for such a small job, i rather have a good friend do it for free
Old 01-10-2003, 05:09 AM
Sports Button FTW

i just took my brother to school and i realized what the sound problem was...well atleast i can describe it. The dam muffler sounds real hollow. Its like you can hear the gas circulating in the muffler and coming out, just sounds hollow. Maybe thats how its supposed to sound and I'm not used to it since i had such a heavy sounding exhaust? feedback guys? I mean if that's just the way its supposed to be, then maybe the CAT wont do me any good??
Old 01-10-2003, 05:11 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Should have gotten the apexi ws...........
Old 01-10-2003, 05:24 AM

The 5th gen muffler is a dual mode muffler. It should change sound as you get to higher rpms. At low rpms, one of the pipes stays closed, exhaust is only coming out of one of those pipes sticking out. As rpms increase, when you reach a certain pressure, a valve inside the muffler opens and the exhaust goes out of both of the pipes. You're not hearing that?

DW
Old 01-10-2003, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!

not till i see some pics
Old 01-10-2003, 06:41 AM

not till i see some pics
i got a pic of a 4 cylinder motor in a maxima
Old 01-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Sports Button FTW

not till i see some pics
argh, fine, last week is my last week of vacation till school starts. I'll take one day to venture back to the danger zone
Old 01-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Meccanoble-

The reason your exhaust sounds like crap is because you have no resonator in your exhaust. Installing a new cat won't help things at all. The 5th gen muffler only increases the raspiness and tin-like sounds you're hearing. In colder weather, the sounds are even worse. Do yourself a favor, get on your stomach and look under the car. It there is just a straight pipe after the cat, then the resonator is gone. You NEED a resonator if you want everything to sound good. I've got the stock B-pipe with a 2001 muffler and the sound is amazing. It's quiet, but louder and throatier than the 4th gen muffler.

Dave
Old 01-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Dave B
Meccanoble-

The reason your exhaust sounds like crap is because you have no resonator in your exhaust. Installing a new cat won't help things at all. The 5th gen muffler only increases the raspiness and tin-like sounds you're hearing. In colder weather, the sounds are even worse. Do yourself a favor, get on your stomach and look under the car. It there is just a straight pipe after the cat, then the resonator is gone. You NEED a resonator if you want everything to sound good. I've got the stock B-pipe with a 2001 muffler and the sound is amazing. It's quiet, but louder and throatier than the 4th gen muffler.

Dave
even better, today i went back to meineke to have them straighten out the problem and there seems to be two problems, one solved.

First, the whole piping was VERY LOOSE, like u can move the muffler and piping up and down a good 2 inches up and down. They did a few things and now piping is real tight and isn't touching anything. Sound is a lot better now (want to see how it is in the cold.). Its not banging on anything anymore when turning making that nasty sound as if a ship was about to crack in half....

second, i THINK my straight pipe is making the little raspy noise i hear. Its not BAD anymore because at low rpm's u can't really hear it and at high rpm's the stillen filter takes over and u cant' even hear the exhaust. However, i still may get rid of it cause the gains aren't taht great and i would like a cleaner sound. I took pics of the muffler that came out the car and will post when i come back from work but from what i saw (didn't see your post, otherwise would have checked more) was that after the y-pipe was the straight pipe and then a long skinny pipe and then it curves to the muffler in a funny a$$ bend because the 4th gen muffler hole is in the middle and the 5th gen is at the passenger side...ah well, i dont know how a resonator is supposed to look but i think the custom maxima straight pipe (which is supposed to come with a resonator) is making the little raspy noise i have left...

anyhow, that should be coming off tomorrow morning and my car still feels weak in beginning...cat back must have made a big difference...cause system seems to be choking somewhere...

oh and i saw my kyb's for the first time today, so purty (can't see them when car is dropped 2"
Old 01-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Langley AFB Sux

even better, today i went back to meineke to have them straighten out the problem and there seems to be two problems, one solved.

First, the whole piping was VERY LOOSE, like u can move the muffler and piping up and down a good 2 inches up and down. They did a few things and now piping is real tight and isn't touching anything. Sound is a lot better now (want to see how it is in the cold.). Its not banging on anything anymore when turning making that nasty sound as if a ship was about to crack in half....

second, i THINK my straight pipe is making the little raspy noise i hear. Its not BAD anymore because at low rpm's u can't really hear it and at high rpm's the stillen filter takes over and u cant' even hear the exhaust. However, i still may get rid of it cause the gains aren't taht great and i would like a cleaner sound. I took pics of the muffler that came out the car and will post when i come back from work but from what i saw (didn't see your post, otherwise would have checked more) was that after the y-pipe was the straight pipe and then a long skinny pipe and then it curves to the muffler in a funny a$$ bend because the 4th gen muffler hole is in the middle and the 5th gen is at the passenger side...ah well, i dont know how a resonator is supposed to look but i think the custom maxima straight pipe (which is supposed to come with a resonator) is making the little raspy noise i have left...

anyhow, that should be coming off tomorrow morning and my car still feels weak in beginning...cat back must have made a big difference...cause system seems to be choking somewhere...

oh and i saw my kyb's for the first time today, so purty (can't see them when car is dropped 2"

Think its raspy now.............wait till those "twin turbos" are installed!

Could'nt resist!

I am glad they are fixing the problem. Get a new resonated b pipe or resonator...........i bet that will totally fix your problem as Dave B mentioned
Old 01-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Think its raspy now.............wait till those "twin turbos" are installed!

Could'nt resist!

I am glad they are fixing the problem. Get a new resonated b pipe or resonator...........i bet that will totally fix your problem as Dave B mentioned
lol..

how much would a resonated b-pipe cost? and i'm hoping the removal of the straight pipe will solve my problems...
Old 01-10-2003, 10:15 PM
Langley AFB Sux

lol..

how much would a resonated b-pipe cost? and i'm hoping the removal of the straight pipe will solve my problems...
hmmmm 170ish i guess..........?

Hopefully it will

Too nice a looking max for it to sound like dookie ya know.

I love the sound from my budget y/stock cat/apexi ws..........nice and deep......
Old 01-10-2003, 11:20 PM

Budget Y-Pipe -> Stock Cat -> Stillen B-Pipe w/ Resonator -> Borla Pro XS Muffler -> Borla Intercooled Tip = The best damn sound you will get. Not too loud but perfectly louder then stock.!
Old 01-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

lol..

Why buy a resonated B-pipe? Why not just go back to the shop and have a resonator installed in your current B-pipe? The resonator will cost between $30-70 depending on quality. I suggest a baffled resonator and not a cheaper glass pack. You should be looking at $60-100 for everything including install.

Dave
Old 01-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Dave B

Why buy a resonated B-pipe? Why not just go back to the shop and have a resonator installed in your current B-pipe? The resonator will cost between $30-70 depending on quality. I suggest a baffled resonator and not a cheaper glass pack. You should be looking at $60-100 for everything including install.

Dave
True

Probably be cheaper........since appartently if you bought a full resonated b pipe it would have to be cut to adapt to the 2k muffler......
Old 01-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Sports Button FTW

PROBLEM TAKEN CARE OF

muhahhaha, car sounds great.

Today i went up to skeelo's house and he took off the straight pipe and put back on my stock cat. At idle, my car is even a little more quiet, while driving it sounds AWESOME, nice deep, no rattle nasty sounds, not tin can sounds, just nice deep and around mid 3's rpm+ the stillen filter takes over.

resonator my a$$, ANYONE WANT TO BUY A SS straight pipe?

oh, i also installed my RSB with a little help from skeelo. Yo, with a 2" drop its like almost impossible to do mods under the car...need to start losing weight or stop trying to mod....

i'll put a picture of the rsb install later tonight after work.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by jcy98maxse

Hey Justin,

He bought my muffler from me
Old 01-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by MaxDoogie

Hey Justin,

He bought my muffler from me
Really, you should of told me. If you wanna sell me your current one that would be nice.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
Budget Y-Pipe -> Stock Cat -> Stillen B-Pipe w/ Resonator -> Borla Pro XS Muffler -> Borla Intercooled Tip = The best damn sound you will get. Not too loud but perfectly louder then stock.!
i have basically the exact same setup and i must agree! all stainless and less than the price of jspec exhausts. i even have a test pipe. it gets a little bit louder, but still nice.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:21 PM

Hey Rudy

I looooovee my Greddy

Quick Reply: AHH, my car sounds like sh*T!!!!