General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

?'s regarding paint job...and esitmates i recived please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:59 PM

?'s regarding paint job...and esitmates i recived please help

How much would you guys say a good full paint job would cost is my first question. Next how much more would you tack on to shave door handles, trunk hole, antenna, and pur on stillen kit.

Well my first place said 8 grand and the next said 5100 with out tax do these seem outragous to you? I was thinking around 1-2k for paint job and then say 150 for trunk, 150 for antenna maybe 800 for doors ?

Any comments and experinces with paint jobs please comment thanks
Old 01-16-2003, 01:23 PM

Re: ?'s regarding paint job...and esitmates i recived please help

Originally posted by madmax97
How much would you guys say a good full paint job would cost is my first question. Next how much more would you tack on to shave door handles, trunk hole, antenna, and pur on stillen kit.

Well my first place said 8 grand and the next said 5100 with out tax do these seem outragous to you? I was thinking around 1-2k for paint job and then say 150 for trunk, 150 for antenna maybe 800 for doors ?

Any comments and experinces with paint jobs please comment thanks
On the one hand, those prices are outrageous. On the other hand, does any Maxima less a new one (say less than 10k miles) warrant a complete paint job? The only way the original is gonna be that bad is the car was painted by Maaco or something as a result of an accident, in which case, why drop thousands on it? I got a 98 SE with every option and 72k miles. A dealer would sell it for 11 grand at most, so wholesale has gotta be like 8400 at most. Why put 5 grand into it when it's nothing but looks anyway? Any good body shop wont even take your money like that because it ain't worth it and their reputation is worth more than 8 grand. But a shylock will take it all the way down to you know where (what DeNiro said in Meet the Parents).

I thought the general rule was $300-$500 to repair (not replace) and paint one panel, so yes, it'll cost thousands to get a total paint job.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:41 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

a stage 1 paintjob will cost about 1k

a stage 2 paintjob will cost you about 4k+

Stage 1 = base coat
Stage 2 = base coat + clear coat

correct me if i'm wrong somebody... because i spent about 700 bucks at Maaco getting my old car painted and those guys were explaining me how they do just the Stage 1 paintjob. They said the Stage 2 paintjob is usually $4k+ becaue it involves getting a clearcoat finish and that's where you really get that "mirrored" look.

As for shaving the other stuff off, it depends on how much per hour they charge labor. They take off the handles and apply bondo there... I know Maaco charged me $65/hr for labor. Usually bondo and all that **** is included in the labor cost. If you're interested how a Stage 1 paintjob looks like... check out pics of my other car that just got painted: http://snow.prohosting.com/nsyed/celica/
Old 01-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

5100 sounds about right, give or take.

Do you guys know whats really involved in a complete paint job? There's a lot more to it then just prep and paint. Every piece of trim has to come off the car until your down to just body panels. Even the door handles, weahter stripping & every single light fixture is removed. Door jams are preped for refinishing so you don't see paint lines... and the list goes on and on.

There is quite a bit of time spent on taking the car apart before you even start to prep the surface. Then after it's all done, you have to put it all back together again. A good complete paint job could take a body shop a week or more to do from start to finish.

Then if your looking for show car mirror finish, there's wet sand, buff and polish after thats all done.

At our shop we have a few custom built hot rods that are in process. There just shells as it is and were getting upwards to 10 grand for paint jobs.

Any chop shop can mask your trim off and shoot the car for 2 grand or less, but a complete professioal refinishing is going to hit you in the wallet hard.

Proline Body and Chassis
Elmwood Park, NJ
201-398-1512

Owned and operated by my brother. PM or Email me for Maxima.org discount rates in the New Jersey area.

Tom
Old 01-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: ?'s regarding paint job...and esitmates i recived please help

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

On the one hand, those prices are outrageous. On the other hand, does any Maxima less a new one (say less than 10k miles) warrant a complete paint job? The only way the original is gonna be that bad is the car was painted by Maaco or something as a result of an accident, in which case, why drop thousands on it? I got a 98 SE with every option and 72k miles. A dealer would sell it for 11 grand at most, so wholesale has gotta be like 8400 at most. Why put 5 grand into it when it's nothing but looks anyway? Any good body shop wont even take your money like that because it ain't worth it and their reputation is worth more than 8 grand. But a shylock will take it all the way down to you know where (what DeNiro said in Meet the Parents).

I thought the general rule was $300-$500 to repair (not replace) and paint one panel, so yes, it'll cost thousands to get a total paint job.
paint from factory is absolute crap... guess you dont pay much attention to paint or know too much about it.. i can tell you this, nissan paint is crap and doesnt last for sh*t.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:07 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Prep work cost the most. You have to remove everything that's not metal from the exterior and some parts of the interior. All the lights, weather striping, door panels. They might go as far as removing the bumpers.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: ?'s regarding paint job...and esitmates i recived please help

Originally posted by thebigsadler

paint from factory is absolute crap... guess you dont pay much attention to paint or know too much about it.. i can tell you this, nissan paint is crap and doesnt last for sh*t.
Yeah bud, I do know alot about it. I actually paid for my car and bought it new. Nissan paint bl*** under the front arches and also the rear bumper. The 95-99's rusted under the rear bumper cover when they had zero miles sitting on the dealers' lots. Thing is, dude, on a car that wholesales for 8400, it doesn't make sense to spend even $1000 repainting it. But when it's someone else's dough, go ahead and spend the entire wholesale value for a repaint chief.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: ?'s regarding paint job...and esitmates i recived please help

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Yeah bud, I do know alot about it. I actually paid for my car and bought it new. Nissan paint bl*** under the front arches and also the rear bumper. The 95-99's rusted under the rear bumper cover when they had zero miles sitting on the dealers' lots. Thing is, dude, on a car that wholesales for 8400, it doesn't make sense to spend even $1000 repainting it. But when it's someone else's dough, go ahead and spend the entire wholesale value for a repaint chief.
a good paint job can really up a resale value, especially on a private sale or whatever.. a lot more people pride their pant than anything else i guess.. we all know i'd love to get my car painted every other week
Old 01-16-2003, 08:20 PM

Am i asking if i care if it will make my car worth more, um no. I could give two craps cause im not selling it anytime soon. So for the time being i want to put my stillen kit on and get it reapinted and looking nice, maybe even change the color. I just was shocked when the guy told me 8 grand for the stuff i had in mind.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:23 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by madmax97
Am i asking if i care if it will make my car worth more, um no. I could give two craps cause im not selling it anytime soon. So for the time being i want to put my stillen kit on and get it reapinted and looking nice, maybe even change the color. I just was shocked when the guy told me 8 grand for the stuff i had in mind.
8 grand for painting ure entire car and plus the body work you mentioned... actually that sounds pretty good considering its an excellent paint job... or if you're picky at the price, just get it done for $1-2k at Maaco. Up to you man, you end up gettin the quality you pay for. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what about a respray? Tom how much for a concord mist respray including antenna and trunk lock removed? Not that i have $$ right now but for future reference.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by MaximaRider
what about a respray? Tom how much for a concord mist respray including antenna and trunk lock removed? Not that i have $$ right now but for future reference.
The entire car or just the areas you want shaved?
Old 01-17-2003, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just the areas i want shaved (probably get it done during the summer) but later on down the road probably a full respray.