General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: 2k3 330ci or 2k3 maxi
330ci
69.90%
maxima
30.10%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

330ci or max?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 02:04 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: 330ci or max?

Originally posted by zerofighter
Hey, I am in the process of buying a new car. From my powerless civic to a 2003 maxima se 6spd or 2003 330ci 5spd. I've been a maxima fan for a while now, and I love the BMW's. So, which do you think will be better for all around performance and hows the ride in the 330? so..330ci or maxima. Also, is the m package for the 330ci worth it? or should I find some thing that looks like the m3 front, because the m package is kind of roundish.

btw,
2003 maxima - $38,000 cdn
2003 330ci - $48,700 cdn

thx
IMHO I would not even compare the 2. I would compare the G35 Sedan 6spd vs the 330ci. In that case, get the G35.

Old 01-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Dev

i don't think a G35 can outhandle a 330ci in any situation...

as for the maxima vs 330 comparison...
there is no doubt the 330 is a better car - what you have to look at is if its worth the extra money to get the 330.

if money is not a large issue, the 330 is definitely the way to go.
it has MUCH better handling, exterior looks better, interior looks better and probably higher quality as well, service is better, transmission is like butter, and RWD!!!!!!
and if you give a crap...the bimmer is more prestigious to most people than a nissan.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by JsL
The 330ci runs the quarter the same time as the G35 coupe...not like that means everything though. I'd say get the 330ci if you have the money, but please don't be like many of the BMW drivers out there, "O...I own the ULTIMATE driving machine and my car is the best." If you live in the bay area, like I do, you will realize how much the dealer #$&@ you with pricing. If you want it for MSRP, there are 2 other people that want it with the mark-up. I've heard 330ci go for about 50k out the door and 03 maximas for 24k out the door around here.
from the tests i've seen the g35 coupe is a bit faster then the 330ci.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:55 PM

The only thing that a max will have that a BMW is better reliablity. I am going to be getting into a 99.5 a4 1.8TQ pretty soon here and while i have decent plans (RS4 bumper, k04 turbo upgrade, Borla catback, 18s, HR Coil overs) I am going to have to pace myself a lot more than i did with my maxima project because the only thing to EVER go wrong with my car really was a battery (which was 7 years old). I know with the audi im going to have to pay at LEAST a few hundred a year on repairs. Thats one thing to think about. On the other hand BMW looks better(IMO), its more luxiorious, holds its value, etc,etc,etc. Go for the bimmer but get the AWD!
Old 01-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Go for the bimmer but get the AWD!
AWD or you mean RWD!!
Old 01-27-2003, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Axel

2003 Nissan Maxima in the US. Price starts at $25,439 USD
2003 Nissan Maxima in Canada. Price starts at $33,300 CAD

If you take the US price and multiply it using the 1.6 exchange rate, you'd have $40,702 CAD. Instead, the difference is 1.3 (not 1.6)
Cars are cheaper in Canada. If cars in Canada were as expensive as in the US, many people wouldn't be able to afford them. Our taxes here are much higher (especially our income tax). This is why.
If you take the cost of living, income taxes, and everything else into account, they're about the same price. However, only compare the prices and they're cheaper.
You are wrong. If that were the case, people in upstate NY and MI etc. would be flocking to Canada to buy capital goods. Services? Yes, they are dirt cheap because Canadians are willing to do things for Canadian money, regardless of what the exchange rate is. We can stay the best hotels and get 5-star treatment for about 67% of the Canadian price. But as far as cars go, the price is multiplied by the going rate, which right now is between 1.51 and 1.52. I have no clue where you get 1.6.

Let me ask you this question--on books there are 2 prices, one for US, the other for Canada. If you compare them, they are to the disadvantage of Canadians by 3-5% over the exchange. If book prices are adjusted to compensate for the exchange, +3 to 5%, WHY IN THE WORLD would that not happen with a $40,000 US vehicle? I previously said I saw a Lincoln in Toronto with a sticker of over 60 grand. That's been adjusted for the weak Canadian dollar.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:06 AM

The current canadian rate is 1.53 ( check finance.yahoo.com ).
The Base price for maxima se in canada is 34800/1.53= Us$22745.
The Base price for maxima se in US is 26189, but with some bargain skill, you can get it below 22000.
still the cars price in canada are considerably lower compare to US, why people in upstate NY and MI etc don't go buy (correct me if i'm wrong) if you bought the car in canada, you won't get the warranty in US.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by funmax
The current canadian rate is 1.53 ( check finance.yahoo.com ).
The Base price for maxima se in canada is 34800/1.53= Us$22745.
The Base price for maxima se in US is 26189, but with some bargain skill, you can get it below 22000.
still the cars price in canada are considerably lower compare to US, why people in upstate NY and MI etc don't go buy (correct me if i'm wrong) if you bought the car in canada, you won't get the warranty in US.
You can bargain in Canada too you know
Also, warranty does work in the US (my car is currently at its third US dealership this month). It has to do with customs and the department of transportation making it very hard for Americans to buy cars in Canada and bring them in to the US because many people used to do this (and some still try). It's a known fact.
Go to your local INS and customs agent and ask him/her about it.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
AWD or you mean RWD!!

if you knew something about bimmers, youd know the 330 comes in AWD as well!!! the 330Xi or something like that

Eric
Old 01-27-2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

if you knew something about bimmers, youd know the 330 comes in AWD as well!!! the 330Xi or something like that

Eric

Exactly what I was talking about! Although audis awd system > Bimmers

Old 01-27-2003, 11:27 AM

the xi's have awd or rwd, but anyway, what color now? alpine white or topaz blue? heh both look good.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Axel

You can bargain in Canada too you know
Also, warranty does work in the US (my car is currently at its third US dealership this month). It has to do with customs and the department of transportation making it very hard for Americans to buy cars in Canada and bring them in to the US because many people used to do this (and some still try). It's a known fact.
Go to your local INS and customs agent and ask him/her about it.
Not cars, because that's not practical, goods. Anything--snowblowers, cameras, Omega watches, ink jets, software, are any of these items cheaper in Canada when you take into account the exchange rate? Of course not. C'mon fellas, didn't they teach you any finance or int'l bus. in high school? Services are different. What a maid demands $10 US for here in the states, another maid will do for $10 CDN in Canada. She'll gladly accept 66 cents on the dollar if it's an American dollar. So yes, we can pay a maid $66.25 for $100 of services provided we want our clocks cleaned while in Canada. Not so with goods. Just use your common sense and look on the back of any book, like I said, 2 prices, US and Canada. That Canadian price is more than the exchange rate, and so are goods in Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the Canadian dollar will always be worth as little as it is today. It makes it seem like we're spending monopoly money when we're over there living it up taking out their women! But don't be so naive to think you can buy a car cheaper there than here in relative dollars. If you could, the finance dept. bean counters would be asleep at the wheel.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:12 PM

the xi's have awd or rwd, but anyway, what color now? alpine white or topaz blue? heh both look good.
hmm you sure? the "X" indicates AWD, its what makes it stand out from the "Ci" and "i" models. From Mag tests, the AWD seems to be faster too...
Old 01-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Sports Button FTW

i would think the 2k3 maxima can beat the 330 bmw but the bmw is crafted so well, looks so beautiful and feels so good, if i'm going to invest in a new car, i want something with more class and more sporty look and feel...BMW hands down....
Old 02-13-2003, 09:06 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Re: 330ci or max?

So, which do you think will be better for all around performance and hows the ride in the 330? so..330ci or maxima.
My oldest sister (Loan Officer in mortgages) turned in her loaded '97 SE in Fall '00 and ended up w/ an '01 330ci convertible and over 60K miles later to this date, she still loves it, and she "will never go back to or deal with Nissan ever again."

Max's will always be a soild car overall, but if you have the extra $$, then might as well go w/ BMW

Good luck w/ whatever you purchase and keep us updated
Old 02-13-2003, 11:28 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I agree with Russ,

Max and 330?

nah

g35 vs. 330 is a closer match

at least they are competitors... more or less..

And i'd choose the g35
Old 02-14-2003, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I agree with Russ,

Max and 330?

nah

g35 vs. 330 is a closer match

at least they are competitors... more or less..

And i'd choose the g35
I'd definitely go G35 based on looks and freshness of design, but if road feel and resale value were considerations, the 3-Series would definitely win out. Once again, they're not really in the same category. I'd say G35 is more in the Acura TL/CL class--and with that being an aging platform with fake dual exhausts, G35 wins!
Old 02-14-2003, 07:13 AM

This just comes down to what you want. I would get the '03 Max 6spd and put the savings in mods. Like others have said you will have to spend a hell of a lot of money on mods for the bimmer. If you have the money I would still get the Max and mod the hell out of it $10,000 can go a long way for mods on the Max. Better yet, I would get the track model 350Z and get the supercharger! But if you want the yuppie appeal, get the bimmer.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:28 AM

get the 2k3 max 6speed, throw in a grand for one of those high end coil over suspensions. Get some good tires. Now use the other 8 grand to do other things. Or put away 4 grand of it for a future turbo/SC.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:19 PM

BMW's are very well built cars. And for that reason they cost much money. Thus the reason for less WHP loss, better handling, and more comfort. That's why BMW has and will maintain the status of a rich man's car.
Nissan is in a different category. You don't compare Nissan to BMW's. Even if you do it is alway's with the lowest models. Like the maxima is compared to the 3 series. But still will never win because they don't make the car as efficiently, because that turns up the value of the car.
BMW's compare to mercedes, porche, etc.
Nissan mostly compares with the luxury model manufacturers like LEXUS, ACURA, ETC.

This is what comes into play when deciding between the 330i and the Maxima.

COST!

The maxima is a great car don't get me wrong, however they don't compare with BMW's.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:44 PM

uh... BMW call up Tom Salkowsky *i think thats it* ... and tell him you want a BMW M3 ASAP !!!!!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
This just comes down to what you want. I would get the '03 Max 6spd and put the savings in mods. Like others have said you will have to spend a hell of a lot of money on mods for the bimmer. If you have the money I would still get the Max and mod the hell out of it $10,000 can go a long way for mods on the Max. Better yet, I would get the track model 350Z and get the supercharger! But if you want the yuppie appeal, get the bimmer.
Well here's where I'd like to point something out to you--you mean well by saving money on the Max, then spending some on the mods. But that's geometrically enlarging your loss on the Max. It's like saying I'm gonna buy a cheap house in a so-so neighborhood, save a lot of money, and then I'm gonna fix up the house or remodel it. That is a sure-fire way to throw good money down the drain. You get the best you can in your budget in a good area. You can't afford a 330? you buy a 325 with only 175 hp. That's the correct mindset IF you're even considering a BMW. Then again, not everyone has the job or cash for the BMW lifestyle, in which case, you do buy a Maxima. With the bMW you spend A LOT more, you enjoy, and when you resell, you get A LOT more back. So true cost of ownership is not much more. Just that you had to have the front money.

It's sick I tell you, to have a Valentine's dinner at home, and then jump on the forum when you get a moment away. Sick, I tell you...
Old 02-14-2003, 08:04 PM

I can't believe out of all these posts I am the first to make this comment. The 330Ci is a subcompact coupe; the Maxima is a midsize Sedan. There is absolutely no reason to compare the two. If you want a BMW that can perform as well as a Maxima AND seat as many people as comfortably, then you need to spend $60 grand on a 540. My wife and I go out with other couples, and I got the Maxima because I want to be the driver. If I had a 3 series (especially a 2-door) there's no way I could get people to ride with us. I would end up riding in the back seat of their Chevy.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:28 AM

Let this tread RIP!!!

Zerofighter already deceided on the BMW.I think the 330ci might, MIGHT, outhandled the G35, because it has 50.1/49.9 weight so, also, I have decided on the 330ci So what is the point posting here?Let this thread RIP pls.Thanx!
Old 02-16-2003, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by tbirdrob
I can't believe out of all these posts I am the first to make this comment. The 330Ci is a subcompact coupe; the Maxima is a midsize Sedan. There is absolutely no reason to compare the two. If you want a BMW that can perform as well as a Maxima AND seat as many people as comfortably, then you need to spend $60 grand on a 540. My wife and I go out with other couples, and I got the Maxima because I want to be the driver. If I had a 3 series (especially a 2-door) there's no way I could get people to ride with us. I would end up riding in the back seat of their Chevy.
No, I don't think you are the first to point out that a Maxima is an apple and a 3-Series is an orange. A 540 is comparable to a Maxima? You're joking, right? A '99 with 50,000 miles costs more used than a 2k3 Maxima fully-loaded with 14 miles. A 525 doesn't even compare to a maxima. Telling somebody that must spend 60k on a car is very poor advice. If you're gonna spend 60 grand on your car, you better check to make sure your bi-weekly take-home pay is at minimum 5000 after taxes and 401k contributions.

A lot of people on this forum have heavy cash I'm guessing because of their folks or something, and they ask should I get an A4, 330, Maxima, etc. They ask because they are capable of getting anything they want, so for them, it is a very real choice. Your typical BMW buyer is not buying their first BMW, but that doesn't mean that rich kids can't buy one. If they were typical buyers they'd be surfing at Edmunds, not asking here!
Old 02-16-2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

No, I don't think you are the first to point out that a Maxima is an apple and a 3-Series is an orange. A 540 is comparable to a Maxima? You're joking, right? A '99 with 50,000 miles costs more used than a 2k3 Maxima fully-loaded with 14 miles. A 525 doesn't even compare to a maxima. Telling somebody that must spend 60k on a car is very poor advice. If you're gonna spend 60 grand on your car, you better check to make sure your bi-weekly take-home pay is at minimum 5000 after taxes and 401k contributions.

A lot of people on this forum have heavy cash I'm guessing because of their folks or something, and they ask should I get an A4, 330, Maxima, etc. They ask because they are capable of getting anything they want, so for them, it is a very real choice. Your typical BMW buyer is not buying their first BMW, but that doesn't mean that rich kids can't buy one. If they were typical buyers they'd be surfing at Edmunds, not asking here!
I was not kidding. I recognize that other posters acknowledged the poor choice of comparison, but their reasoning was that a Maxima should not be compared to ANY BMW. I disagree, but if you want a BMW to compare it with, it should be the same size and have the same or better performance capabilities. That leaves the 540 or M5.

Of this list of sedans, none of them have manual transmission, comfortable room for five, AND performance to match or beat a Maxima.

Acura 3.2TL-S (no manual transmission)
Audi S4 (too small)
Audi A6 4.2 (too slow)
Audi A6 2.7T (close, but still too slow)
BMW 330 (too small)
BMW 530 (too slow)
Infiniti (no manual)
Jaguar X-Type (too slow)
Mercedes (no manual)
Volvo S60 (too slow)
Lincoln LS (no manual, too slow)
Saab 9-3 (too small)
Saab 9-5 (too slow)
Cadillac STS (no manual)
Cadillac CTS (too slow)

There just IS nothing else. If you want a useable rear seat, if you want luxury features, if you want to shift your own gears, and if you want to keep up with a Maxima, the cheapest car you can buy is a BMW 540. That's it!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:00 PM

You also helped make my point--$60K is a lot of money, which shows just how much of a bargain the Maxima really is.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:24 PM

BMW...definitely, but only if you've got the money.
no its more about performance, but make sure u don't get a stripped model
Old 02-17-2003, 04:36 PM

on the other hand, G35C is probably best way to go
BMW service may seem great, but infiniti is just as good (infiniti, not nissan)
just as good handling, more power and tourque, though i admit steering is SLIGHTLY worse, and better reliability
my friend has one, and he loves it!
Old 02-17-2003, 11:45 PM

I'll be the first to answer your question:
absolutely, undeniably Topaz Blue. The 330Ci looks incredibly sexy, sporty, and classy in that color.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:05 PM

two words..

Jet Black

Old 02-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Phil96SE
two words..

Jet Black

Old 02-21-2003, 06:40 PM

max and 330ci are two different classes, cant compare.... just get the 330ci and done
Old 02-22-2003, 01:53 AM

Lions and Tigers And Maximas O mY

Guy at work owns one of these and he let me check it out. I just went around the block not ******* it, and I will say Wow. Great car if you have the money.

95 Maxima Auto > BMW 330ci
Old 02-22-2003, 02:46 AM

Re: Lions and Tigers And Maximas O mY

Originally posted by Gumby510
Guy at work owns one of these and he let me check it out. I just went around the block not ******* it, and I will say Wow. Great car if you have the money.

95 Maxima Auto > BMW 330ci
Leases are as little as $299/mo for a 325i, so it doesn't take much money to show off anymore! But you're right, if you buy, you better be making close to 6 figures. Of course, if you're 18 and mommy and daddy are footing the bill, why get a 330? Go right to the new CLK class with AMG, 2 door. Why mommy and daddy don't care about their money, that's their biz, that's show biz.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:26 AM

Re: Re: Lions and Tigers And Maximas O mY

Leases are as little as $299/mo for a 325i, so it doesn't take much money to show off anymore!
Thats a bogus figure....Read the fine print! That price doesn't take into account tax, title, etc and probably includes a pretty substantial down payment. Plus you the car they speak of is probably a base model with no options at all.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Lions and Tigers And Maximas O mY

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Thats a bogus figure....Read the fine print! That price doesn't take into account tax, title, etc and probably includes a pretty substantial down payment. Plus you the car they speak of is probably a base model with no options at all.

its sad to say a kid working at the mall can pull that lease payment off.. and the chicken heads at the club won't know the diffrence between a fully loaded 330 or a base model 325 with no options at all..

after all.. its a BMW
Old 02-22-2003, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lions and Tigers And Maximas O mY

Originally posted by SprintMax

and the chicken heads at the club won't know the diffrence between a fully loaded 330 or a base model 325 with no options at all..

after all.. its a BMW
You would be suprised....some of these chicks do their research... I remember this one girl who called my boy a 'half as$ed baller' cuz he was driving a clk320...lol
Old 02-22-2003, 10:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lions and Tigers And Maximas O mY

Originally posted by SprintMax
...the chicken heads at the club won't know the diffrence between a fully loaded 330 or a base model 325 with no options at all..

after all.. its a BMW
That's because they don't see it as a car, but rather a status symbol.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lions and Tigers And Maximas O mY

Originally posted by MAXIN

You would be suprised....some of these chicks do their research... I remember this one girl who called my boy a 'half as$ed baller' cuz he was driving a clk320...lol
you telling me.. my cousin, my boy and i were at Carib in NewRoc.. he has a GS 400.. but he shaved the emblems for obvious reasons..

this chick went came to the window.. looked at the back.. on the side its shaved.. came back.. then did that about 3 times.. and she had a confused look on her face..

Quick Reply: 330ci or max?