General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is Harlan still in business...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is Harlan still in business...

Is Harlan Engineering still in business? I sent the money for a shiftlight on 1/5/2003 and still have not recieved anything. I have sent them emails, but no responce.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 07:20 AM
Keven97SE

That's unfortunately the MO for how that guy operates his business. He won't respond to you at all then your part will suddenly just show up. Expect to wait at least another couple weeks...I think it typically takes 2-3 months before you receive your part from the time you ordered it. I've found no effective wayof getting him off his azz, so unfortunately I think you'll just have to wait.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:31 AM

Re: Is Harlan still in business...

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX
Is Harlan Engineering still in business? I sent the money for a shiftlight on 1/5/2003 and still have not recieved anything. I have sent them emails, but no responce.

Thanks
I was just about to send him money too.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:36 PM

I ordered 2 from him and got them within a month or two. He does not respond to any emails though. If 6 months go by, then worry?

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Prodeje79
I ordered 2 from him and got them within a month or two. He does not respond to any emails though. If 6 months go by, then worry?

Good luck!
so if i want one in 6 months i should order now.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:24 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Expect 6-8 weeks. Keep in mind that this is not his only job. He works full-time as a motor engineer for one of the "Big Three". He sells a huge amount of these shift lights and RPM switches and he's extremely popular among all car, truck, and motorcycle groups. We're not the only ones buying his parts. He's a one man operation and he has to build 1000s of these things every year.

Dave
Old 01-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Keven97SE

That's an excuse. Not to bash your opinion, but the guy runs a shady business. If you are going to take money from people, it is expected that you will furnish the merchandise in a reasonable amount of time, and if you do not, you will communicate with the buyer regularly and update him/her. If you cannot furnish the parts in a reasonable amount of time and are too busy to update the buyer,

YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS

Very simple. I don't care what Harlan's excuse is, because it is still an excuse. Being busy and being an engineer elsewhere is NOT a viable reason for his poor customer support.

(I sure am easily fired up, eh?)
Sorry for the bash, Dave. Nothing against you.

Originally posted by Dave B
Expect 6-8 weeks. Keep in mind that this is not his only job. He works full-time as a motor engineer for one of the "Big Three". He sells a huge amount of these shift lights and RPM switches and he's extremely popular among all car, truck, and motorcycle groups. We're not the only ones buying his parts. He's a one man operation and he has to build 1000s of these things every year.

Dave

Old 01-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just tell him that you will be 6-10 weeks with the money.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:23 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Keven97SE
That's an excuse. Not to bash your opinion, but the guy runs a shady business. If you are going to take money from people, it is expected that you will furnish the merchandise in a reasonable amount of time, and if you do not, you will communicate with the buyer regularly and update him/her. If you cannot furnish the parts in a reasonable amount of time and are too busy to update the buyer,

YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS

Very simple. I don't care what Harlan's excuse is, because it is still an excuse. Being busy and being an engineer elsewhere is NOT a viable reason for his poor customer support.

(I sure am easily fired up, eh?)
Sorry for the bash, Dave. Nothing against you.

Yeah....just a tad.

If you wanted instant service, you should pay for an off the shelf model and then you will be happy and wont have to bash him. I ordered mine and received it within a month. His is SO much more flexible. Trust me its worth the wait.

Also remember, after you work a 8 - 10 hour day...how much time is left for you to assemble them? I agree it might be a tad long, but its a side run business. You knew that. And you know that side run business have a tendancy to fall behind because of overwhelming orders, lack of parts showing on time and other various reasons that are hard for 1 person to handle at a time.

I will mention that just before I ordered mine, he took the order page offline because he was trying to catch up. So I might assume thats the issue this time. He can either continue to make parts and ship or answer 10 billion email telling people to be patient.

Just my .02