General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What is the downside to using NGK copper instead of platinum plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003 | 01:00 AM

What is the downside to using NGK copper instead of platinum plugs?

I know that they don't last as long, but the coppers are so much cheaper than the platinums. Is there any reason to stay with the plats?

thx,
-Ace-
Old 01-31-2003 | 02:25 AM
Administrator

Re: What is the downside to using NGK copper instead of platinum plugs?

Originally posted by AceTKK
I know that they don't last as long,
Old 01-31-2003 | 04:19 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Re: What is the downside to using NGK copper instead of platinum plugs?

Originally posted by SprintMax

yes, darren is correct. they only last for 30k
Old 01-31-2003 | 05:15 AM

I know that they don't last as long, but the coppers are so much cheaper than the platinums. Is there any reason to stay with the plats?

thx,
-Ace-
My opinion is that you don't need to waste money on unnecessary things for a Maxima. However, imho you should never install something that is below what comes from the factory, such as belts, hoses, batteries, brake pads, filters, plugs, and so on. My suggestion is to just bite the bullet and go with platinum plugs. You can get 25%-30% off list at which price they still aren't cheap, but they're not that bad.
Old 01-31-2003 | 05:16 AM

thx,
-Ace-

Most people who use copper plugs have forced induction setups which benefit from cold plugs.
Old 01-31-2003 | 05:32 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: What is the downside to using NGK copper instead of platinum plugs?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

My opinion is that you don't need to waste money on unnecessary things for a Maxima. However, imho you should never install something that is below what comes from the factory, such as belts, hoses, batteries, brake pads, filters, plugs, and so on. My suggestion is to just bite the bullet and go with platinum plugs. You can get 25%-30% off list at which price they still aren't cheap, but they're not that bad.
Platinum Plugs are not above Copper Plugs.. performance wise.. and if you are talking about going below preformance of stock parts.. Copper is better... they just don't last as long as Platinum Plugs.. but they provide a better spark and better performance.. so Copper Plugs are above Platinum Plugs Performance wise..

Originally posted by T-bone

Most people who use copper plugs have forced induction setups which benefit from cold plugs.
They are not colder plugs... they are stock heat range.. the reason most people with Forced Induction are using copper plugs is because it has a better spark and gives better performance.. NOS at one point actually suggested not using platinum plugs with their systems becuase the spark wasn't as great..
Old 01-31-2003 | 10:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I switched over to denso iridium plugs recently and they seem awesome. My platinums were gone after 45k miles and the denso's made up for a little lost pep. I got the denso iridium plugs for ~$10.50/plug, which was quite a bit cheaper than the ngk platinums on the sites I looked at
Old 01-31-2003 | 10:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: What is the downside to using NGK copper instead of platinum plugs?

Platinum Plugs are not above Copper Plugs.. performance wise.. and if you are talking about going below preformance of stock parts.. Copper is better... they just don't last as long as Platinum Plugs.. but they provide a better spark and better performance.. so Copper Plugs are above Platinum Plugs Performance wise..

In that case it's a no-brainer. Save money and get a better plug with copper.
Old 01-31-2003 | 10:05 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by ducky
I switched over to denso iridium plugs recently and they seem awesome. My platinums were gone after 45k miles and the denso's made up for a little lost pep. I got the denso iridium plugs for ~$10.50/plug, which was quite a bit cheaper than the ngk platinums on the sites I looked at
you have been looking at the wrong sites..haha

that is about the right price for NGK plats as well
Old 01-31-2003 | 10:15 AM
Administrator

you probably got more pep because your old plugs were done... but in actuallity .. it would be no more pep than a new set of plat plugs
Old 01-31-2003 | 10:42 AM

you probably got more pep because your old plugs were done... but in actuallity .. it would be no more pep than a new set of plat plugs
*nod*.. I forgot to say that earlier..
Old 01-31-2003 | 10:44 AM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

you have been looking at the wrong sites..haha

that is about the right price for NGK plats as well
I must have.. the best price I saw for PLFR5A-11 plugs was I think $13.50. I forget which sites I was looking at though
Old 01-31-2003 | 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the replys. I'm definately going with coppers since there don't seem to be any drawbacks. They're about 1/5 the price of the platinums, so even if I have to change them twice as often I still come out ahead.

-Ace-
Old 02-01-2003 | 05:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I must have.. the best price I saw for PLFR5A-11 plugs was I think $13.50. I forget which sites I was looking at though
My dealer even sells them at almost 1/2 that price.

Guys, check your local dealers for plugs for your car. Some of them are much cheaper then local auto parts stores and .com shops when you factor in shipping charges.

A phone call is all it takes........
Old 02-01-2003 | 08:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know we aren't talking that much of a difference in performance but would you say the copper plugs are better than the denso iridiums?
Old 02-01-2003 | 08:11 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE

I know we aren't talking that much of a difference in performance but would you say the copper plugs are better than the denso iridiums?
yes.. the provide better spark than iridum and platinum... copper is a better heat conductor
Old 02-01-2003 | 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes.. the provide better spark than iridum and platinum... copper is a better heat conductor
Damn that was a fast reply, thanks.
Old 02-01-2003 | 12:58 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

My dealer even sells them at almost 1/2 that price.

Guys, check your local dealers for plugs for your car. Some of them are much cheaper then local auto parts stores and .com shops when you factor in shipping charges.

A phone call is all it takes........
dealership wanted $16~ for platinums, but they've been overpriced on just about everything I've called about
Old 02-01-2003 | 01:12 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Me too! A worthwhile investment if they last as long as people say.

SprintMax mentioned earlier that Iridium's spark is not as great as copper, but from what I've read and heard it is equivalent, if not better than copper. The metal has better conductive properties than copper and you get a smaller point on the end (0.04 mm) so it's more focused if that helps too.