General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 02:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

Hi there

I recently had trouble with O2 sensors going bad. I had been running waaaay rich which was probably why they went bad. Anyway, I ordered some new ones. While I was waiting, I removed the old sensors and used brake kleen on them and blew them out well with a blow gun, they came back to life! I got my new O2s today and installed them since I had already bought them. It's just something you might want to try!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:32 AM

Re: Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Hi there

I recently had trouble with O2 sensors going bad. I had been running waaaay rich which was probably why they went bad. Anyway, I ordered some new ones. While I was waiting, I removed the old sensors and used brake kleen on them and blew them out well with a blow gun, they came back to life! I got my new O2s today and installed them since I had already bought them. It's just something you might want to try!
how do you know they came back to life? did you test them somehow? i wonder if i can do this with the EGR temp sensor...whereever the hell that is....
Old 01-31-2003, 06:43 AM

Re: Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Hi there

I've heard that this does help in the past. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:56 AM

I also heard you can use a torch and heat them up so that the tip is red as *****. Maybe do the combination of the 2?
Old 01-31-2003, 08:58 AM

I would still use new o2 sensor. Never good to start cutting corners.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Synki
I would still use new o2 sensor. Never good to start cutting corners.
I did this on my other car- the 02s just get really dirty and if you clean them off they work fine again- my 02 sensor CE was coming on in that car and I saved on the damn 200 bucka pop 02s from the dealer
Old 01-31-2003, 08:42 PM

my CEL is on because of my O2 sensor. I think I'll give this a try and see if i can bring it back from the dead.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:16 PM

If you have to replace them go to http://www.buyoxygensensors.com .
They were $80 for BOTH SHIPPED - beats $100+ EACH. I got the generic ones that need a wiring job. I recommend doing it their way using the crimp connectors rather than soldering (which is what I did) the original wiring harness is extremely difficult to solder to.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:28 PM
aka UNCDooD

nice find. just added it to my favorites.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:18 AM

I just changed both front O2 sensors a couple weeks ago. I have 95000 miles on my 97 and had been only getting a maximum of 260-270 per tank (usually 70/30 freeway/city). I had been getting such bad for the longest time...until I changed the O2 sensors! On the first full tank of gas afterwards, I immediately improved 3mpg But get this, I had also driven A LOT more city miles on this particular tank of gas.

The CEL for both front O2 sensors have come on several times in the past, with the last time being probably a year ago. Since the CEL didn't come on recently, I just ignored them, but I got sick of my bad gas mileage and changed them anyway. I guess this goes to show that even if the CEL doesn't come on, that doesn't mean the O2 sensors are still good. They can become lazy but not throw the CEL.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

I have an A/F ratio meter connected to one bank and a spare input from my S-AFC connected to the other bank that can read voltage. When you rev the engine to 2000 rpm (constant) under no-load conditions. You will see the voltage bounce up nd down 5 times in 10 seconds. For bad O2s, they just read zero volts until you rev the engine pretty hard. For the A/F gauge, you'll see the A/F bounce between lean and rich 5 times in 10 seconds.

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
how do you know they came back to life? did you test them somehow? i wonder if i can do this with the EGR temp sensor...whereever the hell that is....
Old 02-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

I need to know where they are located. I have a 99.
Can you tell me appoximately where they are located.
I would like to try this.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but are you kidding me? If not then have someone do this for you. Or get a Haynes or Chilton manual. Do you know what a y-pipe is? If you do, they are on there (at least the ones I am talking about are there), if not then look in the manual

Originally posted by tmax99
I need to know where they are located. I have a 99.
Can you tell me appoximately where they are located.
I would like to try this.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tmax99
[B]I can get the manual and do this. I did figure they were relatively easy to get to. I just thought someone could point me in the right direction but you are right I will get the book.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 01:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tmax99
[B]
Originally posted by tmax99
I can get the manual and do this. I did figure they were relatively easy to get to. I just thought someone could point me in the right direction but you are right I will get the book.

Thanks
two on the Ypipe and one on the cat or the catback, basically the exhaust pipes to simplify that, there are 3 total
Old 02-10-2003, 07:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Way to revive your bad O2 sensors

I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but are you kidding me?

Yes you do sound like an azz. This is a forum for infomation and the gathering of such. You should have known this person was a newb by the little words under their name "I finally posted something!" and directed such an inquiry to a search. Or you could have just as easily answered the ? without flaming. That's ok we all have bad days sometime. Remember you were new at one time.

Tmax99, welcome to the org.
By The Way...use the search feature provided for you before asking such a simple ?, could save you some trouble down the road. We are all here to learn and share our collective knoeledge. Enjoy