General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Door skin repair question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 08:21 AM

Door skin repair question

I am looking for an economical way to fix my driver's side rear door. I was backed into by another driver and her insurance company is sending me a check. The door got crumpled in, but only the body was damaged. If I buy a door skin and get it painted can I install it myself? Anyone ever done this?
Old 01-31-2003, 08:28 AM

Re: Door skin repair question

Originally posted by tomj
I am looking for an economical way to fix my driver's side rear door. I was backed into by another driver and her insurance company is sending me a check. The door got crumpled in, but only the body was damaged. If I buy a door skin and get it painted can I install it myself? Anyone ever done this?
I am in the same boat myself, except the insurance company isn't opennig the claim until SHE calls and claims it as well, even though I called her insurace company and claimed it)....total BS. ANYONE GOT ADVICE ON THAT ONE!?!?!?!? I also haev to replace the wheel fender as well (drivers side), along with the side mirror. Body show quoted my $2000, but I know it can be fixed for a LOT cheaper than that.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:47 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The old skin has to be cut off and the new one welded on. This would be best left to a pro.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:47 AM

Re: Re: Door skin repair question

Originally posted by MaximusMax

I am in the same boat myself, except the insurance company isn't opennig the claim until SHE calls and claims it as well, even though I called her insurace company and claimed it)....total BS. ANYONE GOT ADVICE ON THAT ONE!?!?!?!? I also haev to replace the wheel fender as well (drivers side), along with the side mirror. Body show quoted my $2000, but I know it can be fixed for a LOT cheaper than that.
What drives me crazy to no end is that body work can cost anything you want it to cost. Paying more doesn't mean you get a better job either. I took my car to get a ding checked out (was told ding doesn't exist in the autobody dictionary, it's DENT no matter how small), and it was your typical $300 to fix (usually the price for a minor dent on one panel). Then I found out my co. uses that shop for their vehicles, and told them Mr. T (name changed to protect the innocent) sent me. All of a sudden it was like why didn't you say so, we can do it for $150. I didn't do anything because I want to keep my car intact, ie never been repainted. Any time you do bodywork, the entire vehicle is compromised, so it's best to live with minor dings. Crumples of course, what can you do? But when you go to resell everybody and his mother in the auto biz can spot the repair, and then they deduct from the value of the trade.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ben has it right. Door skins is NOT a diy job unless you are a pro. The cheapest way to replace that door is to find an used door with maybe no "guts" in it. Then strip the door down for the body shop. They can paint the inside/outside and then you can put all the parts from your old door into the "new" door.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Ben has it right. Door skins is NOT a diy job unless you are a pro. The cheapest way to replace that door is to find an used door with maybe no "guts" in it. Then strip the door down for the body shop. They can paint the inside/outside and then you can put all the parts from your old door into the "new" door.
This was my next thought. When I looked at the parts distributor sites they have a door for $2xx.00 or just the skin for $80. If I can get the door, transplant the glass, interior panels, etc. after I get it painted, I should be all set?
Old 01-31-2003, 09:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

There's the labor costs to replacing the door but yes, that should be it.

This was my next thought. When I looked at the parts distributor sites they have a door for $2xx.00 or just the skin for $80. If I can get the door, transplant the glass, interior panels, etc. after I get it painted, I should be all set?
Old 01-31-2003, 09:09 AM

Well, since I am not working right now I figured I'd pay this grease monkey rather than another. Any ideas on how much it should cost to get the door sprayed?
Old 01-31-2003, 09:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ahh, exactly how much a local body shop will charge you. So I suggest you open the yellow pages and start calling. It doesn't really mean anything if I can get it done for $50 if I'm 3000 miles away right?

Well, since I am not working right now I figured I'd pay this grease monkey rather than another. Any ideas on how much it should cost to get the door sprayed?
Old 01-31-2003, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Ahh, exactly how much a local body shop will charge you. So I suggest you open the yellow pages and start calling. It doesn't really mean anything if I can get it done for $50 if I'm 3000 miles away right?

I suppose. I was just looking for a general idea. Thanks for all the useful info though. Atleast I'll have a project to work on.