General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

does Maxima exhibit a "step" in the variable assist?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 05:14 PM

does Maxima exhibit a "step" in the variable assist?

In R&T's sedan comparison, they praised Honda's steering and said that Nissan's was loose and hunted. They also said that typical variable assists exhibit a step at the point where assist lessens. To be honest, I've never felt any such thing on my 4th gen. It feels as if there is plenty of assist at all times, be it 75 mph or 15 mph. What was interesting is that the 2k3 Accord's skidpad ability was PATHETIC, something like .69g's. Yet it was faster through the slalom than the Altima, which had something like .75g. They also seemed to praise the new Mazda 6 as far as chassis went. I guess it's all about how something drives, not so much the numbers.

But to reiterate, I've never felt that step effect on my 4th gen. If anybody knows at what mph it takes place, please post, I'd like to feel it for myself.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: does Maxima exhibit a "step" in the variable assist?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
In R&T's sedan comparison, they praised Honda's steering and said that Nissan's was loose and hunted. They also said that typical variable assists exhibit a step at the point where assist lessens. To be honest, I've never felt any such thing on my 4th gen. It feels as if there is plenty of assist at all times, be it 75 mph or 15 mph. What was interesting is that the 2k3 Accord's skidpad ability was PATHETIC, something like .69g's. Yet it was faster through the slalom than the Altima, which had something like .75g. They also seemed to praise the new Mazda 6 as far as chassis went. I guess it's all about how something drives, not so much the numbers.

But to reiterate, I've never felt that step effect on my 4th gen. If anybody knows at what mph it takes place, please post, I'd like to feel it for myself.
skidpad is practically a tire test, so with sucky tires it would fare pretty poorly, but would be able to pull more impressive speeds on slalom because thats more geared towards the test of the actual suspension and how it responds to quick and sudden steering inputs. just one for instance, the Z06 gets huge skidpad numbers, 1.00g, but is bested by cars that dont fare as well on the skidpad, Ferrari 360 Modena, Lancer Evolution VII, and one of the porsches but i cant remember which one, it was one of the expensive ones.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The lose steering issue was corrected in the 1999 4th gens.