General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Made a solid motor mount today

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 03:56 PM

Me and a friend rigged up a solid motor mount for the motor mount that is underneath the front radiator. It was a royal pain in the *** to get the bolts out cause they were so stuck and frozen (yes we PB blastered it). Anyway, to sorta explain how we did it, we took 3 longer bolts, and connected the center mount bolt to the 2 crossmember bolts using turnbuckles. We choose to do the front mount cause it was the most accessible, and also So now, the engine is directly connected to the body of the car. Here are the results, right when I started the car the car would shake from the engine turning over. Not surprising since there is almost no play in the front engine mount now. Since my car is a stick, clutch chatter is VERY pronounced now. In addition, at 500 RPM idle speed, it sounds almost like a droning exhaust, due to the engine vibrations being transmitted through the car. On the plus sides, there is almost no front wheelie drive hop anymore. I couldn't get the car to hop at all like I used to. Either by dumping the clutch from a standstill, or slightly rolling. Throttle response is also improved too. All I feel now is the front suspension being lifted off the ground when I stomp on it. If I can somehow "refine" the solid motor mount to eliminate the vibration at idle speed, then I'd be very happy.
Old 01-07-2001, 04:52 PM
Foo90SE

I filled one of my mounts with urethane...i get the loud sound that sounds like a muffler or something inside my car now too. Mines an auto and it still shifts smooth n stuff. Im not going to fill the rest of mine tho..i dont want my car to numb peoples butts

Old 02-21-2001, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ericdwong
Me and a friend rigged up a solid motor mount for the motor mount that is underneath the front radiator. It was a royal pain in the *** to get the bolts out cause they were so stuck and frozen (yes we PB blastered it). Anyway, to sorta explain how we did it, we took 3 longer bolts, and connected the center mount bolt to the 2 crossmember bolts using turnbuckles. We choose to do the front mount cause it was the most accessible, and also So now, the engine is directly connected to the body of the car. Here are the results, right when I started the car the car would shake from the engine turning over. Not surprising since there is almost no play in the front engine mount now. Since my car is a stick, clutch chatter is VERY pronounced now. In addition, at 500 RPM idle speed, it sounds almost like a droning exhaust, due to the engine vibrations being transmitted through the car. On the plus sides, there is almost no front wheelie drive hop anymore. I couldn't get the car to hop at all like I used to. Either by dumping the clutch from a standstill, or slightly rolling. Throttle response is also improved too. All I feel now is the front suspension being lifted off the ground when I stomp on it. If I can somehow "refine" the solid motor mount to eliminate the vibration at idle speed, then I'd be very happy.
now that you have had this mod for a while.. do you regret it or like it better?
Old 02-21-2001, 04:42 PM

Follow this link and make your own urethane mounts. All of my mounts were broken in my maxima. when I filled both my engine mounts it felt alot smoother than before. Once I finally did my tranny mount it felt just as smooth as stock. My SE-R has ES motor/tranny mounts and it transmits alot more vibration than my maxima did. But I'm used to it so it doesn't phase me .

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...-r/mounts.html
Old 02-21-2001, 04:49 PM

motor mounts

turn up the idle some until the vibration goes away.
Old 02-21-2001, 04:51 PM

motor mounts

turn up the idle some until the vibration goes away. also give it some time to break in.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:26 PM

I'm a little hesitant like theblue to do the motor mount mod. I'd like to get rid of my wheel hop because with my mods and 18" wheels I jump all the hell over the place. The dilemma is that I enjoy my quiet, comfortable car If I had to choose power or my ride I'd probably opt not to fill my engine mounts. Is there any compromise between a lot of play and mounting the engine to the frame
-hype
Old 02-22-2001, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
I'm a little hesitant like theblue to do the motor mount mod. I'd like to get rid of my wheel hop because with my mods and 18" wheels I jump all the hell over the place. The dilemma is that I enjoy my quiet, comfortable car If I had to choose power or my ride I'd probably opt not to fill my engine mounts. Is there any compromise between a lot of play and mounting the engine to the frame
-hype
exactly my thoughts... I also have zero interior rattles so I'm hesitant that this mod will change that