General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Preliminary pics of the Ionic dynamics front lip!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Preliminary pics of the Ionic dynamics front lip!!

Hi!

I have new pics of the font lip that I have been working on. The only diffrence is that it will also be available with two small ducts under the fog lamps.

Here is the link: http://www.ionicdynamics.com/97_99lip.html

Just in case if anyone is wondering why my headlights are crooked it's because they were taken off so we could work on making a grill and I put them back on for the pics.

The price for maxima.org members for the front lip will be about $120.00 and the price for the new full Ionic kit will be $400 dollars plus shipping

Keep in mind that this is top quality fiberglass that will NOT break easely.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

nice! it reminds me of a kit for the R34 GTS

Old 02-12-2003, 12:43 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Old 02-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it would look a lot better if the edges of the kit, where they meet the wheel well, continued the circular line of the fender around the wheel well. A small change, but I think it would look a lot cleaner.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:06 AM
Master Will

man that looks good

Old 02-12-2003, 04:14 AM

looks pretty good, goes with the rest of your kit well.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:58 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Looks good. Can't beat the price.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:01 AM
Shiver me timbers.

I like it. YOu could put me down for one when they become available.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:35 AM
Jedi Knight

I also like it...but kinda worried about the fiberglass...is it possible for you guys to make it out of urethane? for durability? but for $120...damn...I might be sold.....
Old 02-12-2003, 06:36 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

I don't like it
Old 02-12-2003, 06:49 AM

not bad.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:04 AM

looks good, but a bit too plain for me
Old 02-12-2003, 07:09 AM

Throw in a couple of intake vents and it would be really nice.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:11 AM

Looks good to me. Its very clean and oem looking.
Just what I'm looking for, I'm game for 1 when they are ready.

But hakk97se is correct. Would be cleaner if that ridge is taken away and the front lip continues to follow the contours of the wheel well
Old 02-12-2003, 07:14 AM

so the material is fiberglass right? are u guys making one out of urethane? but for $120 i'll be interested...
Old 02-12-2003, 07:15 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Preliminary pics of the Ionic dynamics front lip!!

Originally posted by ionicmax
Hi!

I have new pics of the font lip that I have been working on. The only diffrence is that it will also be available with two small ducts under the fog lamps.

Here is the link: http://www.ionicdynamics.com/97_99lip.html

Just in case if anyone is wondering why my headlights are crooked it's because they were taken off so we could work on making a grill and I put them back on for the pics.

The price for maxima.org members for the front lip will be about $120.00 and the price for the new full Ionic kit will be $400 dollars plus shipping

Keep in mind that this is top quality fiberglass that will NOT break easely.

Thanks!
do one for a 95-96 and im in
Old 02-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Master Will

Originally posted by 98coupev6
so the material is fiberglass right? are u guys making one out of urethane? but for $120 i'll be interested...

all of their kits are fiberglass....urethane is "expensive"
Old 02-12-2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
I don't like it

Old 02-12-2003, 07:27 AM

Fiberglass or Urethane???... that is the question

I agree that it should be made out of urethane. Fiberglass is chaep and that is how they are able to sell it for $120.00 but if you crack it the first week you have then you arent really saving any money then. To get the fiberglass piece fixed and painted even one time would cost just as much(including the original purchase and paint job) if you bought a Stillen urethane one and had it painted and not have to worry about it cracking.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Master Will

Re: Fiberglass or Urethane???... that is the question

Originally posted by Swafford98
I agree that it should be made out of urethane. Fiberglass is chaep and that is how they are able to sell it for $120.00 but if you crack it the first week you have then you arent really saving any money then. To get the fiberglass piece fixed and painted even one time would cost just as much(including the original purchase and paint job) if you bought a Stillen urethane one and had it painted and not have to worry about it cracking.

yes just like any fiberglass kit Sarona,Skyline,(especially when you guys have your cars lowered....)...this is cheaper and it will still cost the same to repair it but you still only pay $120.00 for the lip not $350-$400 or more like whole front bumpers...
Old 02-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by deezo
Throw in a couple of intake vents and it would be really nice.
Dezzo: Yes we are going to have them available with some intake vents that's what I meant about it also being available with two ducts under the foglmps.

Maximazero: Wow thanks for the props! I'm really glad that you like it since IMHO you make the best designs for the maxima. I never saw that front lip before, but it looks awesome on the R34. What I wanted to achieve is a clean look on the maximas front end, if you look closely at the 97-99 front bumper it has alot of bumps, I wanted to clean it out.

hakk97se: That's going to be taken care of on the production pieces, you have a good eye!

metallic97gxe: Thanks, and your side skirts should be delivered tomorrow!

amixam98: Did you get my PM with the quote you asked for?

nupe500: I don't know why fiberglass has such a bad reputation. I mean it was one of the first composite materials to be used industrially, you have boats, cars, airplane panels being made out of fiberglass. I know from my own personal experience that when you use good quality fiberglass and workmanship you really shouldn't have anything to worry about.

maxfanfromohio, Kashoggio, ReddoG_max and everyone else thanks for the props!

I just wanted to add that this front lip will not scrape as much as the Stillen front lip because it's not as low and it doesn't stick out as much, thus giving us more ground clearance something that we will all appreciate.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Master Will

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ionicmax
[B]

metallic97gxe: Thanks, and your side skirts should be delivered tomorrow!

cool man I'm ready to put them on and I will post pics...did you get my PM?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:43 AM

Re: Re: Fiberglass or Urethane???... that is the question

Originally posted by metallic97gxe

yes just like any fiberglass kit Sarona,Skyline,(especially when you guys have your cars lowered....)...this is cheaper and it will still cost the same to repair it but you still only pay $120.00 for the lip not $350-$400 or more like whole front bumpers...
If you're going to end up paying for a repair, why not buy a urethane for more $$ up front, and not have to worry about repairs?? Makes sense...

Not to mention the fact that the Stillen looks much better...
Old 02-12-2003, 07:46 AM
Master Will

Re: Re: Re: Fiberglass or Urethane???... that is the question

Originally posted by araffio

If you're going to end up paying for a repair, why not buy a urethane for more $$ up front, and not have to worry about repairs?? Makes sense...

Not to mention the fact that the Stillen looks much better...
very true I'm just defending Ionic his kit is fiberglass like Sarona and the Skyline kit for less money in a lip piece...and we have not heard any "BAD Ionic kit" posts like the Skyline and Sarona...
Old 02-12-2003, 07:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fiberglass or Urethane???... that is the question

Originally posted by metallic97gxe

very true I'm just defending Ionic his kit is fiberglass like Sarona and the Skyline kit for less money in a lip piece...and we have not heard any "BAD Ionic kit" posts like the Skyline and Sarona...

Understandable
Old 02-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I like it
Old 02-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

amixam98: Did you get my PM with the quote you asked for?

Got your 2 PM and emails. I will get back to you in a bit.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: Fiberglass or Urethane???... that is the question

Originally posted by Swafford98
Fiberglass is chaep and that is how they are able to sell it for $120.00 but if you crack it the first week you have then you arent really saving any money then. To get the fiberglass piece fixed and painted even one time would cost just as much(including the original purchase and paint job) if you bought a Stillen urethane one and had it painted and not have to worry about it cracking.
Swafford98: Lets see here. If you hit a Stillen front lip hard aren't you going to have to repaint it? It's the same here, if you hit my front lip hard it's going to scrape and you are going to have to repair it. By the way fiberglass is not cheap it has alot of labor involved, way more than Urethane kits have, that's what the big companies love about urethane kits not having to pay labor costs. Stillens cost for each urethane piece should be less than 10 dollars, so please tell me what the cheap piece is. What is expensive are the molds and machinery to be able to make them, after that the money keeps rolling in.

On another note fiberglass is cheap to repair, and would not cost as much as the original purchase price to have it repaired.

Oh and one last thing, I don't sacrifice quality for a profit, so my fiberglass products are well made and don't crack easily. You might be able to chip or even crack the gel coat but not the fiberglass underneath.

araffio: When I call Stillen's sales reps what extension do I dial to get a hold of you? I might be interested in buying a "Stillen" kit.

metallic97gxe: I'm going to check it right now

1MAX2NV: Thanks!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

someone please do some crashtesting of a urethane kit and fiberglass kit please. i've seen the results of the two in similar accidents. i'll gladly pay extra for a urethane kit anyday...
Old 02-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: Re: Fiberglass or Urethane???... that is the question

I appreciate your respones, and would like to see pics of the lip with the vents...also do you think it would be possible to coat the inside of the lip with a urethane/rubberish type agent...and would that even help eleviate this fiberglass cracking issue at hand, I would say that is my biggest issue...seen some cracked kits in person...reason I bring this up, but it is clean looking, oh..and with the snow in the NE I don't want that bish to become a plow...you feel me?

Swafford98: Lets see here. If you hit a Stillen front lip hard aren't you going to have to repaint it? It's the same here, if you hit my front lip hard it's going to scrape and you are going to have to repair it. By the way fiberglass is not cheap it has alot of labor involved, way more than Urethane kits have, that's what the big companies love about urethane kits not having to pay labor costs. Stillens cost for each urethane piece should be less than 10 dollars, so please tell me what the cheap piece is. What is expensive are the molds and machinery to be able to make them, after that the money keeps rolling in.

On another note fiberglass is cheap to repair, and would not cost as much as the original purchase price to have it repaired.

Oh and one last thing, I don't sacrifice quality for a profit, so my fiberglass products are well made and don't crack easily. You might be able to chip or even crack the gel coat but not the fiberglass underneath.

araffio: When I call Stillen's sales reps what extension do I dial to get a hold of you? I might be interested in buying a "Stillen" kit.

metallic97gxe: I'm going to check it right now

1MAX2NV: Thanks!
Old 02-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

nupe500: I don't know why fiberglass has such a bad reputation. I mean it was one of the first composite materials to be used industrially, you have boats, cars, airplane panels being made out of fiberglass. I know from my own personal experience that when you use good quality fiberglass and workmanship you really shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Please reread that and think about the difference between cars, planes and boats please....
Old 02-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

what happens when a boat hits a rock?

these cars are probably going to be lowered and a hit going off/on driveway might scrape them.

not saying that i'll crack the fiberglass...but overall the urethane is more flexible compared to fiberglass. both have it's pros and cons.

even u said it..if u hit a urethane piece you'll need to repaint it due to spyder cracks. if u hit a fiberglass piece you're going to need to fix the broken piece and then repaint it.

IMO it looks pretty good...i'm sure the added vents would look better. just trying to express some of the member's concern on this.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by DanNY

even u said it..if u hit a urethane piece you'll need to repaint it due to spyder cracks. if u hit a fiberglass piece you're going to need to fix the broken piece and then repaint it.

IMO it looks pretty good...i'm sure the added vents would look better. just trying to express some of the member's concern on this.
I understand your concern, I'm just trying to make my self clear that GOOD fiberglass does NOT break easily!

And I did not say that it would be "broken" I said it would scraped.

You can ask other org members about the durability of my kits and you will see that they can take good hits with no breaking.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:46 AM

I understand your concern, I'm just trying to make my self clear that GOOD fiberglass does NOT break easily!

And I did not say that it would be "broken" I said it would scraped.

You can ask other org members about the durability of my kits and you will see that they can take good hits with no breaking.

OK maybe they're durable fiberglass, but they don't look good

PS- I have nothing to do with Stillen, just expressing my opinion on kits, which is what you asked for
Old 02-12-2003, 10:37 AM
living out of a maxima...

Looks good! Those vents should add a little more style, but overall I think it looks very good.

As for the fiberglass vs. urethane bit... of course everyone would rather have urethane, but it's pretty clear that only a big company can afford the upfront costs of urethane molds. So that leaves us with fiberglass.

I can testify to the quality of the fiberglass used for my Ionic sides and rear. I have hit several different things with the rear pieces on several occasions, including a curb, a small hill and someone's rock-wall landscaping. On that last one I was damn near sure I broke something off because it sounded like hell, but everything was a-ok.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:38 AM

i love that lip, now we just need some for us 5th geners
Old 02-12-2003, 10:40 AM

I like the lip design. It definately needs some 'finishing' touches like contouring around the wheel well and maybe some "speed holes" (obscure Simpsons reference of the day) to give it some character. The price is right, and I don't plan to scrape my lip anyway so the fiberglass vs. urethane argument is moot.

-Ace-
Old 02-12-2003, 10:49 AM

I think the design is definitely going in the right direction. I'm fine with fiberglass at that price, especially if it is a durable, quality product. Are you planning to make another test lip with the variations you mentioned in the near future? Finally, what time frame are we looking at before we're able to buy the full kit
-hype
Old 02-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

DO NOT ADD VENTS. Please keep it the way it is. It looks more JDM like right now. Adding vents will make it look like american designed front lip. ie. Wings West, VIS.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Master Will

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
DO NOT ADD VENTS. Please keep it the way it is. It looks more JDM like right now. Adding vents will make it look like american designed front lip. ie. Wings West, VIS.

very,very ture or make two designs one w/vents and one w/out...vents I like the design now the way it is...clean and simple...

Quick Reply: Preliminary pics of the Ionic dynamics front lip!!