General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

touch up paint / Artic Pearl/ other info

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 01:43 AM

touch up paint / Artic Pearl/ other info

Courtesy Nissan sells touch up paint. http://www.courtesyparts.com/paint/maxima.html

FYI: For those Maximas with Artic white Pearl paint:
First use Paint code QNO base coat, then use code QT1 top coat (icelandic pearl), then clear coat to get it to match original. Wait for each coat to dry well.

Clean surface well before painting. Use alcohol (no, not Mad Dog 20-20) or mineral spirits.

Use a primer and filler if chip is deep or down to the metal. Duplicolor makes a primer / filler touch up kit. look in auto parts store or Wal-mart. Kit is usually $10.00. it comes with wet sandpaper and gel polish.

To make touch up paint blend in perfect and get rid of blob or high spot, try a product called Langka.

Check it out here:
http://www.langka.com/index.htm#top

Langka Corporation • 2525 E. 29th St., Ste. 10B • Spokane, WA 99223
(509)747-3607 Phone • (509)455-4557 Fax • info@langka.com

I saw the same basic stuff at my Nissan dealer. It was $20.00 for a kit. It is well worth it. The touch up paint blends right in, and blobs are erased. You can also correct old crappy touch up jobs you messed up on before.

A few more hints:
Read instructions after you mess up. Never drink coffee first, or touch up paint with a hangover. And don't let anyone look over your shoulder. And tell your old lady to buzz off, because you're busy. And tell her to take the kids with her.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:59 PM

Re: touch up paint / Artic Pearl/ other info

Originally posted by Bgohan
Courtesy Nissan sells touch up paint. http://www.courtesyparts.com/paint/maxima.html

FYI: For those Maximas with Artic white Pearl paint:
First use Paint code QNO base coat, then use code QT1 top coat (icelandic pearl), then clear coat to get it to match original. Wait for each coat to dry well.
Thanks. I've tried the color code for mine (the QN0 base) with clear, and it doesn't match at all. Glad to hear about using the QT1 second. I'll be giving this a shot in the near future.

Dave
Old 02-14-2003, 06:54 AM

I heard Langka only works with touch up paint which is lacquer based? I have some left over enamel paint from when my car was repaired and painted and I don't think langka will work on this type of paint. I just remember coming across this somewhere, if this is incorrect please post a correction.
By the way, my Max is also artic white pearl the color is awesome but hard to match for touch-up!
Old 02-14-2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
I heard Langka only works with touch up paint which is lacquer based? I have some left over enamel paint from when my car was repaired and painted and I don't think langka will work on this type of paint. I just remember coming across this somewhere, if this is incorrect please post a correction.
By the way, my Max is also artic white pearl the color is awesome but hard to match for touch-up!

I asked Langka:
-Bgohan
Langka will work on both. Enamal's touch up paints are very soft and LANGKA will remove the excess paint Very fast...almost too fast...so you have to be aware of this.
LANGKA will take 15-30 seconds of rubbing to smooth down Lacquer based paints.
Hope this helps.
larry johnson, pres
http://www.langka.com
Old 02-14-2003, 01:02 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

is superblack hard to match?
Old 02-26-2003, 11:26 PM

97 artic white is tri-coat (QN0 Paint Code)

Tri-Coat Paint

Tri-coats
Any color that has the word "Tri-coat" has three different coats of paint applied at the factory. The first is a basecoat of color. Next a second coat of transparent color, called the midcoat is applied and finally, a coat of clearcoat. The midcoat color is applied very thin and adds additional depth to the paint. In order to successfully match a tri-coat, you should practice on a scrap piece of metal or plastic.

http://paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/makepaint.cgi
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just about to touch up the ol' maxima; this has been extremely helpful, thanks! (talk about digging up the dead of old posts!)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

One time, while I was at band camp...
Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 PM

There's a local place in Mesa, AZ called Space Age Paint. I gave them my color code (QN0) and they whipped it up in about 10 mins. they put the white base in one rattle can, and the pearl in another can. I just had to go buy the clear coat. I'd have to say it's a 98% match.