General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

REV-LIMITERS IN NEW MAXIMAS ?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 06:21 PM
RobertC

Attention Maxima owners: Just a Dodge Ram (brand X) owner wondering if you Nissan boys have to worry about rpm limiters comming through on your new vehicles??? For info on Dodge's see http://dodgeramrpmlawsuit.tripod.com Thanks

Old 09-11-2000, 06:41 PM

If I recall correctly , on the 4th gens 95-99 on the GXE

there is a limiter but on the SE and GLE there is not, on the 2K I believe we cut off at about 6700 RMP ~140. Please correct me if this is incorrect guys.
Old 09-11-2000, 06:47 PM
Got Bent?

I thought that almost all new cars have rev limiters that would prevent you from going past, or a bit past, redline in any gear. This would be to protect the engine from any damage. But, if you dropped it into 1st gear at 80 mph, I doubt the rev limiter would protect you then. Speed limiters are another thing though. I don't know if the Maxima is speed limited or not. I think it's drag limited though. By the way, redline on a 2k Maxima is about 6600 rpms.
Old 09-11-2000, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by RobertC
Attention Maxima owners: Just a Dodge Ram (brand X) owner wondering if you Nissan boys have to worry about rpm limiters comming through on your new vehicles??? For info on Dodge's see http://dodgeramrpmlawsuit.tripod.com Thanks
Good idea and that is a rediculous rev limiter but i dont see what your upset about.... The dyno chart you have shows the power and torque droping off significantly after about 4k rpm.....
So the engine just runs out of breath after 4k, but if you did have engine mods i could see your delima and you would need more rpm available. What a monster of an engine though!!!!!

Adam
Old 09-11-2000, 07:18 PM

Err......

NOT running out of breath....I know noting about that engine but It seems to be making 400 ft-lbs of torque at 5k.....that AIN'T running out of breath

Anyways....Nissans do use a rev limiter/fuel cut ABOVE its advertised redline. True...the auto shifts at 6k but the redline is 6550 and can be used if you drive it right...most easy with a 5sp. Some max's have speed limiters.....but the dodge guy is talking about a rpm limiter obviously in lower gears. He's pissed cuz it cuts out at 4600. That being said....I wanna know what the redline is in his truck? Even if dodge posted a graph of the power band all the way to 7K(if it would sustain that) that doesn't mean he is getting a truck that will let him use it....or does it

I think Nissan should make a VQ50DE.....400hp and a 6550 redline ....I love import....scratch that....nissan's awsome V6.

Old 09-11-2000, 07:58 PM
RobertC

Man!! 6600rpms>>>>Those must not be push rod engines. On the Ram V-10 graph you have to notice that there is a tremendous range of HP plotted on the Y axis which makes it look like the HP is really dropping off after 4100rpms but in reality it is less than 10% dropoff from the 4100 up to the 5000rpm that it is supposed to run. Thanks for the info. guys

Old 09-11-2000, 09:02 PM
The missing moderator

so what IS the posted redline in your truck? I am pretty sure it's less than 5500rpm. A huge displacement motor simple can't be rev'd that much. Physics simple won't allow larger displacement motor rev...

-shing
Old 09-11-2000, 11:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 95 SE has a Rev. limiter. . .

Saved my *** today because I was dumb and forgot that I was still in 1st when I started from a stop and went to pass a slow car that was blocking me.
Old 09-23-2000, 04:47 PM
RobertC

Rev-Limiter

Mr. ADIDAS Boy: Why do you have to have the rev-limiter to get you to take your foot off the accelerator when something like that happens???? I mean you can hear the engine start to race. In times past when for example you are warming a car up in the morning and you punch your foot to the floorboard if its flooded or something you don't have to have a computer to get the throttle off>>>the best computer ever invented(your brain) does the action. Come one, we don't need the computer to drive the vehicle for us. http://dodgeramrpmlawsuit.tripod.com

Old 09-23-2000, 04:59 PM

Thats totally ridiculous. I'm gonna sue Nissan cuz my rev limiter is like 6k when its aparrent that the VE can rev much higher than that and has lots of high end power.. Hah..
Old 09-23-2000, 06:51 PM

Re: Rev-Limiter

Mr. ADIDAS Boy: Why do you have to have the rev-limiter to get you to take your foot off the accelerator when something like that happens???? I mean you can hear the engine start to race. In times past when for example you are warming a car up in the morning and you punch your foot to the floorboard if its flooded or something you don't have to have a computer to get the throttle off>>>the best computer ever invented(your brain) does the action. Come one, we don't need the computer to drive the vehicle for us. http://dodgeramrpmlawsuit.tripod.com
Oh the problem was I had the stereo up a little too loud, and the car doesn't hesitate at all when it get up that high in revs. . . I normally don't do that, and this wass the first time I have ever needed this. I was just glad I had it. I know that this is very bad for the car, and do not make it a habit, I was just pointing out that sometimes we all do stupid things and these stupidity devices are there to save our asses.
Old 10-14-2000, 09:41 AM
RobertC

RPM Limiter Lawsuit

Maximamike: It's not important what is apparent about what the VE will do----ONLY WHAT THE COMPANY SAYS IT WILL DO IN THEIR LITERATURE VRS WHAT IT ACTUALLY WILL DO. http://dodgeramrpmlawsuit.tripod.com

Old 10-14-2000, 06:53 PM

Re: RPM Limiter Lawsuit

Maximamike: It's not important what is apparent about what the VE will do----ONLY WHAT THE COMPANY SAYS IT WILL DO IN THEIR LITERATURE VRS WHAT IT ACTUALLY WILL DO. http://dodgeramrpmlawsuit.tripod.com
UM, WE CAN HEAR YOU, ROBERT! Say, are you an attorney...?
Old 10-15-2000, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: RPM Limiter Lawsuit

Robert, have you driven a maxima? I've got a 2k SE 5spd and have hit the rev-limiter several times. The engine is quiet and with the 2k 5spd max hp is at red-line. Engine pulls hard right through red-line. We've got a bit of a different animal here than the typical domestic.
Old 10-15-2000, 07:38 AM

By the way, you shoulda found out where that rev-limiter was on the test drive! LOL>
Old 10-15-2000, 03:40 PM
RobertC

Rev-limiter

No V-10s on dealer lots for test drives in late97/early98 when I ordered this truck. Should you have to prove it to yourself first before ordering??? Doesn't integrity in advertising mean anything anymore in the US???

Old 12-01-2000, 07:51 AM
RobertC

Rev limiters in Maximas

Thanks for the comments