General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tire question..HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 05:40 AM

Ok .. I had just bought some Kumho Tires 225/16/55 and .. When ever I gun it my front end bounces,feels like my tires are skipping. Unlike my factory Toyo's they never did that, they just smoked up
Is this something that happens ?

Any comments guys...

Thanks,
Old 01-09-2001, 05:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, maybe they are skipping. Your description of the problem is a little vague but I gather that the tires are chirping a little when you floor it from a dead stop?

Are both sets of tires the same type (e.g. all-season, summer, etc.). If the tread compound is different you might get different results. Also, check the tire pressure, low or high pressure can make the car do weird things.

Jim
Old 01-09-2001, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by PRPmax
Ok .. I had just bought some Kumho Tires 225/16/55 and .. When ever I gun it my front end bounces,feels like my tires are skipping. Unlike my factory Toyo's they never did that, they just smoked up
Is this something that happens ?

Any comments guys...

Thanks,
Different construction, different tread design, different compound, the new tires probably need different pressure to work right - you'll have to experiment.

Dave
Old 01-09-2001, 09:56 AM

Remember how lousy the stock Toyos were? I have the same situation with my Dunlop SP5000's as you do your new tires. With the old Toyos, if I floor it, the tires would just slip and never grip up. On the Dunlops, if I floor it, the tires will grip, slip, grip, slip, etc..and it gives the sensation of "bouncing" since the tire is gripping and slipping all the time. With the Toyos it's "slip slip slip" so you just sit there and spin your wheels.

It should be nothing to worry about. I don't know how severe your case of "wheel bouncing" is, but for me, it's not a big deal. It might do it for like 1 second and then the tires grip up.

Old 01-09-2001, 10:11 AM

It's not that severe.. It just does it when I am taking off hard.. it'll do it for about 2-5 seconds.. I don't think its my airpressure, I make sure it stays at what the manufacturer suggest which is 35psi..
Thanks for you info guys.

Old 01-09-2001, 01:10 PM

tread.

Maybe its the fact that you have actual tread on your tires vs. those crappy Toyos?!?!? I would be so...thats the way mine acted when I threw on my tires!

SHUMAX
Old 01-10-2001, 03:56 AM

It's not that severe.. It just does it when I am taking off hard.. it'll do it for about 2-5 seconds.. I don't think its my airpressure, I make sure it stays at what the manufacturer suggest which is 35psi..
Thanks for you info guys.

Which manufacturer suggests 35 psi? Not Nissan - their recomendation is in the center console, 32 I believe. If that is what's on the sidewall of the tires it is a MAXIMUM, not a recomendation! Too much airpressure will increase wheel hop.

Dave

Old 01-10-2001, 03:46 PM

What is the tread wear,rating and all on the Kumho's thanks
Old 01-10-2001, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by shane
Well on the set I have its 35psi.. but some of other tires manufactored by Kumho are less then that... The only reason I posted this thread was because, I was just curious if FWD cars do that sort of thing. This is my 3rd car.. my first two were RWD (89'300ZX , 95'240SX) and they never did that so I was just curious.

Thanks guys for the Tips and Info...
'
Old 01-11-2001, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by shane
Well on the set I have its 35psi.. but some of other tires manufactored by Kumho are less then that... The only reason I posted this thread was because, I was just curious if FWD cars do that sort of thing. This is my 3rd car.. my first two were RWD (89'300ZX , 95'240SX) and they never did that so I was just curious.

Thanks guys for the Tips and Info...
'
35psi is not a treadwear rating, it is the maximum pressure!!
Treadwear is usually a number in the 2-300 range.

Dave
Old 01-11-2001, 09:24 AM

NO, I know its not the rating.. These tires are Z rated.
But the company and the place i had it installed , told me that i should keep them at 35 for equal tread wear. So i just keep them at that.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:25 AM

NO, I know its not the rating.. These tires are Z rated.
But the company and the place i had it installed , told me that i should keep them at 35 for equal tread wear. So i just keep them at that.
But most of the tires this company makes for Z rated. My friend was the one that had told me about them.. I hardly see them around here. I was told its a japaneese tire or some sort.. But you can check it out at the site i bought them at http://www.tires.com