General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SuperC.....1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

Not my ****, I am supercharged and run 13.8 @ 104MPH, 3.25pulley no nitrous

I am a rice man but have the need for speed

awsome times, was the weather and track conditions good?
Old 02-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Jime
If your not a racer you won't be able to find the time for it. If you love racing then it will become your first priority.
I love racing, but am not willing to compromise other areas of my life that have priority right now (school, professional advancement, my fiance)

Maybe you're just obsessed
Old 02-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

the s/c times aren't there because:

1. the car has not been to the track

2. the car has been at the track but the owner did not post for what ever reason.

Different strokes for different folks. Lets put the egos/paranoia away now.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I love racing, but am not willing to compromise other areas of my life that have priority right now (school, professional advancement, my fiance)

Maybe you're just obsessed
You can't tell me that, I am not even married to you.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Administrator

sorry i can't make it to the track every weekend because i am not retired or in school

if i had a track in CT i would be there on the regular.. i dont think because i am unwilling to drive 6 hours to run 3 times means that i don't like drag racing
Old 02-18-2003, 08:32 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You must be kidding me? "Just cuz a car is fast on the track does not make it fast on the street" Did you learn that from watching the fast and the furious? Are you saying that your car can defy the laws of physics on the street?

Originally posted by max'n out
Just cuz a car is fast on the track does not make it fast on the street, this whole forum is upsest with track numbers. With that said when my cars is no longer distroyed and i put the 2.87 on finally I will be at the track.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm happily married, have a professional career (40-50 hours a week), play volleyball one night a week, lift three times a week, work around the house/yard, go out once a week with the wife, and I STILL FIND PLENTY OF TIME TO RACE!!! I'm not Superman either Hell, my wife sometimes goes with me to the track and she's all for me being passionate about my car.

Seriously, would it be that big of a deal to take one day and use it to drive to a track? You really have no idea what you're missing. The smell of the burning rubber, the tingle in your hands as you sit in the staging lane, the tunnel vision you get as you stage, and the pure thrill of hauling butt down the 1/4 mile and legally racing against another car.

Dave
Old 02-18-2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
sorry i can't make it to the track every weekend because i am not retired or in school

if i had a track in CT i would be there on the regular.. i dont think because i am unwilling to drive 6 hours to run 3 times means that i don't like drag racing
Did Etown move
Old 02-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by emax95

Did Etown move
yeah.. they moved it 3 hours from my house
Old 02-18-2003, 09:04 PM

I wouldn't drive 3 hours just to go to a test and tune night.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Dave,

I'm glad that you have a good track close by and plenty of time to blow away there.

All I can say is that I don't, and that I'm a lot busier and have a lot more things going on in my life than j0o
Old 02-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

so what about the people who have 400hp maximas but no track anywhere near them???

i have never seen or read about loren's or thomas' cars going to the track so.. they have no right to brag about their cars??

im a firm believer in street racing and the legal drag strip. ive spent a lot of time at both.. street racing is not just something people do on the weekend... its a culture and a way of life... does any body know how the NHRA got started? from illegal drags.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
You must be kidding me? "Just cuz a car is fast on the track does not make it fast on the street" Did you learn that from watching the fast and the furious? Are you saying that your car can defy the laws of physics on the street?

No what I'm saying is theres alot that plays into it. For instance, say one car is already moving at 80 in 3rd gear, comes up on a car and hits it as it pases, has to slam down the gear hits a bump loses traction...Those kinds of things, a reaction to a challage...All those things play into it.

My main point is I'm really tired of people saying go do this, you need to do that, blah blah blah, and all they have is an intake and fart pipe. Way to many people do not understand the work and detication it takes to build a car.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Dave,

I'm glad that you have a good track close by and plenty of time to blow away there.

All I can say is that I don't, and that I'm a lot busier and have a lot more things going on in my life than j0o
It's not a "good" track, but it's legal.

For being such a busy person, you really do spend a lot of time on the Org

Dave
Old 02-18-2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

It's not a "good" track, but it's legal.

Dave
nice....time that could've been spent at the track
j/k
Old 02-19-2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Jime
The majority of boosted cars are SHOW CARS. There are some nitrous show cars as well but most aren't.
After I get my supercharger, I'm going for ALL speed.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Dave
His job like mine allows us to be on the org during work.. gotta love it
Old 02-19-2003, 05:38 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'll be going to the track plenty after I get my SC in this spring. I live about 40 minutes from a great track. I pay $10 and usually get to run anywhere from 15 to 20 times a night!

More than the racing or the timeslips, it is just plain old fun! The cars, people, sights, sounds, smells, etc. If I had a really slow car I think I'd still go because I enjoy it so much. Well worth $10 for a night of fun!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:05 AM
I am Roid Rage

I think everyone should go to the track at least once just to see how DAMN hard it really is to get a good timeslip.

Dave
Then you can tell them that their time slip is wrong.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE

awsome times, was the weather and track conditions good?
it was pretty warm that day. On a cold night I could not get no traction and still trapped @104 just ran a 14.0 flat.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Bluebird

Then you can tell them that their time slip is wrong.
Just go back to the track ASAP. If you end up running a 14.5 or lower, I'll take back everything I said. With that said, I'm guessing CONSISTENT 14.8-14.9s@94mph the way you site right now.

Dave
Old 02-19-2003, 08:53 AM

Supercharged 1/4 mile times,

Next time post this in the Boosted section, this **** has turned into a f u cking ****ing contest and all types of **** which has no sense if you ask me. Some people have access to the track less then 2 hours away. Others dont. Others have a life and can give three
***** about going to the track. Others cant drive on a track because the **** is usually too dam slippery from every fuc ker with slicks doing burn outs etc..
Old 02-19-2003, 11:57 AM

I know there are lots of variables during a street race. That's why you don't see John Force or any other NHRA drag team spending millions of $ building a drag car and race it on the street. Street racing will not determine who has a faster car. The bottom line is a fast car at the track will be still a fast car on the street.

Originally posted by max'n out

No what I'm saying is theres alot that plays into it. For instance, say one car is already moving at 80 in 3rd gear, comes up on a car and hits it as it pases, has to slam down the gear hits a bump loses traction...Those kinds of things, a reaction to a challage...All those things play into it.

My main point is I'm really tired of people saying go do this, you need to do that, blah blah blah, and all they have is an intake and fart pipe. Way to many people do not understand the work and detication it takes to build a car.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:07 PM

Well put Steve!

There are MANY completely VALID ways to measure the performance of a car.

Not just 1/4 mile timeslips.
Not just dyno charts.
Not just street races.

Some cars perform awesome in the 1/4 mile, but very poorly on the highway. Other cars perform very poorly in the 1/4 mile, but awesome on the highway. If you take a highway-optimized car and track it, obviously the peak horsepower won't live up to the 1/4 mile time (lag, traction issues, etc). If you take a 1/4 mile optimized car and highway race it, you could be let down also.

I think saying that a 400 fwhp Maxima owner has "no bragging rights" just because they haven't tracked their car is ridiculous, but whatever. Obviously a car with that much power has an ENORMOUS amount of potential. So much in fact that it can't even be truly measured in a race that's only a 1/4 mile long.

Same thing with the 700 rwhp vs 400 rwhp Supra debate. Yeah, they both run 12's, because the 700 rwhp Supra doesn't have any more potential in the quarter mile. But what about to a half mile? What about to a full mile? What about a race from 0 to whoever hits 160 first? These are all different measures of performance.

The world has standardized on 0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) and 1/4 mile (0-1000m) for performance metrics, but that does not in any way shape or form mean that those are the ONLY valid ways of measuring what your car can do.

Obviously a 700 rwhp Supra has a "non-standard" amount of horsepower, with a "non-standard" bias of power. To effectively measure that power, you then need to measure it in "non-standard" ways to truly capture and put some numbers to what the car can do. And just because a measurement is "non-standard" doesn't mean it's not valid