General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SuperC.....1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 10:01 PM

SuperC.....1/4 mile

I was looking threw the 1/4 forums and preaty much everything in the 13s or less was by nitrous...i belive i only saw one superC. I know there are ALOT of superC owners here on the org, but where are all the numbers?
Old 02-17-2003, 10:05 PM

Re: SuperC.....1/4 mile

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE
I was looking threw the 1/4 forums and preaty much everything in the 13s or less was by nitrous...i belive i only saw one superC. I know there are ALOT of superC owners here on the org, but where are all the numbers?
They all just buy turbos and superchargers and don't go to the track, just a select few do like mardi, and hal.

Old 02-17-2003, 10:12 PM

Re: Re: SuperC.....1/4 mile

Originally posted by Victim64

They all just buy turbos and superchargers and don't go to the track, just a select few do like mardi, and hal.

Then i dont even see the point of getting one, why would one even bother
Old 02-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am taking mine to the track on March 9th along with at least one other...auto power...
Old 02-18-2003, 03:44 AM
Administrator

I didn't know turbocharging or supercharing your car came with a manditory "must go to the track" clause
Old 02-18-2003, 04:00 AM

MardiGrasMax has the fastest 4th Gen on the 1/4 Forum and he is S/C.

Nitrous too but mostly Supercharged.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:43 AM

see fine print

Originally posted by SprintMax
I didn't know turbocharging or supercharing your car came with a manditory "must go to the track" clause

Didn't you know ... All Porsche owners secretly goto a track somewhere,I'd say where but its a secret, and DRIVE like no tomorrow or warranty ...
Old 02-18-2003, 05:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: SuperC.....1/4 mile

Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE

Then i dont even see the point of getting one, why would one even bother
Dyno-racing!
Old 02-18-2003, 05:28 AM

The majority of boosted cars are SHOW CARS. There are some nitrous show cars as well but most aren't.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:05 AM

I guess I need to go to the track some more. LOL.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:36 AM

I boggles me too why some of these folks who talk the talk dont walk the walk. I guess they are more into street racing? To each his own.

PS: Dyno this Sunday and track next Saturday
Old 02-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I boggles me too why some of these folks who talk the talk dont walk the walk. I guess they are more into street racing? To each his own.

PS: Dyno this Sunday and track next Saturday
Track opens on Wednesdays and it is about 1.5 hours away... while NOT driving in rush hour stop-and-go traffic. The other is about 2 hours away (not in rush hour traffic)... $12 during Wednesdays but $40 on Fridays for the 2 hour drive track.

I'd rather spend $40 in tuning or some LED rice nozzles. To each their own.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I'd rather spend $40 in tuning

or some LED rice nozzles. To each their own.

All in good fun!
Old 02-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The only "good" track in my area is only open for Test & Tune on Friday nights, starting at 5pm. And the track is so far away (in heavy Friday DC traffic) that I'd be lucky to get there before 7pm

There is another one that's MUCH closer, but the track sucks and nobody can launch for shia there, much less get any decent times, so everybody crowds to the "good" track, which is therefore extremely crowded and you're lucky if you get more than 1 or 2 runs in.

Sorry, but that just sux. Given that I hardly even see my fiance during the week, I'd rather spend that time with her. T&T mid-week would work much better, but oh well.

Actual racing at the strip in this area just doesn't fit my life/schedule, despite my interest in it. There's no lack of desire on my part. Just a lack of time and availability. The few times when I have been able to make the Friday T&T (fiance on-call at hospital) the weather has not been premitting

So I just stick to the occasional street "muscle flexing" and dyno/cartest comparisons on the computer. That's all my life/schedule allows me to do at this point, and I enjoy it just the same. I guess if I was single my priorities might be different. =)
Old 02-18-2003, 09:41 AM

true true...I boost my car so I can get back from grocery stores faster, before my beer got warm.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:43 AM

Just cuz a car is fast on the track does not make it fast on the street, this whole forum is upsest with track numbers. With that said when my cars is no longer distroyed and i put the 2.87 on finally I will be at the track.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:51 AM

if it was me and i just spend $3K+ on my car adding a s/c or turbo, i would drive the two hours to get to a track (even though i have one within 15 mins of me) to see what that baby can do.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Etown is 3 hours 1 way from my house.. and if i go i am lucky to get 4 runs in for being there a whole day.. then to drive back home through 3 states and traffic.. so i drive 6 hours to run 4 times.. forget about days when Etown has big events.. you run 1 time..

i am not going to waste 6 hours of my day to run my car 4 times when i am not sure if my setup is optimal to the level i want it to perform at.. so if my car is at 8 PSI and running extremely rich and untuned.. i should drive 6 hours to run sh!tty times and then have this whole forum tell me how my car sucks?

last time i checked.. its was my $4000 to spend.. not yours.. i have a right to do what the fck i want to do with my $4000 .. i want to buy it and park it in my garage.. its my damn money.. tell that to exotic car owners who park their cars in the garage
Old 02-18-2003, 11:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

nigel and i will make it to the track this year but bandimere doesn't open till april , i may only make a few passes this year cause i want to build my tranny more before i make alot of passes, my car has trouble shifting into 3rd under boost .
Ryan
Old 02-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Romeo
if it was me and i just spend $3K+ on my car adding a s/c or turbo, i would drive the two hours to get to a track (even though i have one within 15 mins of me) to see what that baby can do.
But that is you. To me, draggin the car tears it up even more than runnin all the extra equipment anyway. Why should any "boosted" person have to "prove" their equipment?

i am not going to waste 6 hours of my day to run my car 4 times when i am not sure if my setup is optimal to the level i want it to perform at.. so if my car is at 8 PSI and running extremely rich and untuned.. i should drive 6 hours to run sh!tty times and then have this whole forum tell me how my car sucks?

last time i checked.. its was my $4000 to spend.. not yours.. i have a right to do what the fck i want to do with my $4000 .. i want to buy it and park it in my garage.. its my damn money.. tell that to exotic car owners who park their cars in the garage
I agree with this whole heartedly. I enjoy reading about peeps who dyno because you can determine "roughly" what the car can do. But the constant badgering of getting a "dyno" is just as bad.

I am so tired of seeing people critizing others for "not doing this". If you want to know so damned bad...go spend 3-5K on your OWN system and then you will know for a FACT what YOUR car will do. I am sure Sprint or Kev or Turbo97 would be MORE than willing to accept money to defray their costs.

Some of us (read: me) are puttin in the system for MY enjoyment. Its MY hard saved money and I will drive/use MY car the way I want. If I wanted a TRACK car, I would have bought something RWD and built that up (read: trailer queen).

So those that complain about tracking...maybe you should back off a tad unless you have the greenbacks to help out.

[Off SoapBox}
Old 02-18-2003, 11:26 AM

I think a superC running 10 psi, with a MEVI with a rpm swtich at 5300 and a ecu ugrade letting it red line at 7 would be a mean setup
Old 02-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I have a BIG problem with people who brag about how fast their car and all thier incredible street kills yet they've never been to the track. There are so many factors that aren't accounted for in street racing and that's why it's so damn easy to beat a mid-13 second car with a high 14-second car. Some guys just don't understand this, especially the younger guys. It really ticks me off when someone references another persons ET/MPH that has similiar mods as claims that their own car will run a similiar ET/MPH

If I threw down the money for major engine work, I wouldn't blink about going to the track. I want to know what my car is capable of and how I can become a better driver plus let's get real here, it's also about bragging rights. IMO, you can't brag unless you've got some legit numbers (timeslip, no G-Tech BS). You can be pushing 400fwhp, but if you don't have a slip, don't brag about how quick your car is. With all that power, it doesn't mean you're going to be all that quick. Watching the videos of the turbo Maximas makes it pretty clear there are major traction problems in the 1st three gears. On a small scale, it's like the saying goes, "what does a 400rwhp Supra have in common with a 700rwhp Supra? They both run 12s".

I admit that I don't run stellar times with my Maxima, but I do have a lot of fun at the track. I learn, talk to interesting people, watch some wicked cars run, etc. I go to a local track (30 minutes away) on a regular basis and then venture down to another track 120 miles away once or twice a year. At any of the tracks I go to, I'm lucky to get 3 to 4 runs over the course of 4-5 hours, but that doesn't stop me from going.

I think everyone should go to the track at least once just to see how DAMN hard it really is to get a good timeslip.

Dave
Old 02-18-2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
I have a BIG problem with people who brag about how fast their car and all thier incredible street kills yet they've never been to the track....
Preach on!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:49 AM

Preach on!!!
I agree
Old 02-18-2003, 12:05 PM

Preach on!!!

AMEN!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Administrator

I have a BIG problem with people who brag about how fast their car and all thier incredible street kills yet they've never been to the track. There are so many factors that aren't accounted for in street racing and that's why it's so damn easy to beat a mid-13 second car with a high 14-second car. Some guys just don't understand this, especially the younger guys. It really ticks me off when someone references another persons ET/MPH that has similiar mods as claims that their own car will run a similiar ET/MPH
are you addressing me? because i have been to the track.. i have run my car.. and i don't claim numbers i have never ran.. I also drove 3 hours to Island Dragway in NJ and i ran 14.9 on 100 shot of Nitrous due to the fact that my plugs were blown.. i also drove 3 hours back with my car hesitating at any rpm under 5000 rpms.. and i drove of scare sh!tless not knowing if my car would die..

I also got a return ticket back to Island Dragway when i had got pulled over going to the track and got a manditory court appearance ticket for my expired license..

all of that to come back on the org and get **** over running 14.9@100 mph with a 100 shot of Nitrous and you guys are trying to force me to the track now that i am not ready? please..

I admit that I don't run stellar times with my Maxima, but I do have a lot of fun at the track. I learn, talk to interesting people, watch some wicked cars run, etc. I go to a local track (30 minutes away) on a regular basis and then venture down to another track 120 miles away once or twice a year. At any of the tracks I go to, I'm lucky to get 3 to 4 runs over the course of 4-5 hours, but that doesn't stop me from going.
luckly for you.. you only have to drive 30 mins try driving 6 hours to go run 2 times

I think everyone should go to the track at least once just to see how DAMN hard it really is to get a good timeslip.

Dave
you tell the people who drive all the way there.. and dn't live up to standards and get **** about it..

i boosted my car because i had the money to afford it and i loved the intercooler look.. i also boosted my car because i love the cool BOV sound.. i didn't boost my car to go to the track.. if that was the case i would have bought a 6 puck clutch and a trailor
Old 02-18-2003, 12:31 PM

...i loved the intercooler look.. i also boosted my car because i love the cool BOV sound..

Old 02-18-2003, 12:41 PM

There are MANY completely VALID ways to measure the performance of a car.

Not just 1/4 mile timeslips.
Not just dyno charts.
Not just street races.

Some cars perform awesome in the 1/4 mile, but very poorly on the highway. Other cars perform very poorly in the 1/4 mile, but awesome on the highway. If you take a highway-optimized car and track it, obviously the peak horsepower won't live up to the 1/4 mile time (lag, traction issues, etc). If you take a 1/4 mile optimized car and highway race it, you could be let down also.

I think saying that a 400 fwhp Maxima owner has "no bragging rights" just because they haven't tracked their car is ridiculous, but whatever. Obviously a car with that much power has an ENORMOUS amount of potential. So much in fact that it can't even be truly measured in a race that's only a 1/4 mile long.

Same thing with the 700 rwhp vs 400 rwhp Supra debate. Yeah, they both run 12's, because the 700 rwhp Supra doesn't have any more potential in the quarter mile. But what about to a half mile? What about to a full mile? What about a race from 0 to whoever hits 160 first? These are all different measures of performance.

The world has standardized on 0-60 mph (0-100 km/h) and 1/4 mile (0-1000m) for performance metrics, but that does not in any way shape or form mean that those are the ONLY valid ways of measuring what your car can do.

Obviously a 700 rwhp Supra has a "non-standard" amount of horsepower, with a "non-standard" bias of power. To effectively measure that power, you then need to measure it in "non-standard" ways to truly capture and put some numbers to what the car can do. And just because a measurement is "non-standard" doesn't mean it's not valid
Old 02-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Driving the car 2 hours back (not including traffic) and forth is not my idea of being "productive." If you're into that kind of thing, more power you to. 4 hours could be spent with loved ones or doing something productive.

Not many people have easy access to tracks. 15 to 30 minutes... even an hour are somewhat reasonable times to get to a track, but has anybody taken other things into consideration like when the track is open, what are the driving conditions to get to that track are, how much it is to run at the track, etc.? Yeah, everyone's going to take time off work just to run and get a slip? Is that slip worth's a day's pay or vacation time?

What are dyno numbers and track numbers good for? To stroke our egos in a ***** waving contest? As long as you are content with the car and how it performs, that's all that matters. No one needs to prove anything to anyone.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...What are dyno numbers and track numbers good for? To stroke our egos in a ***** waving contest? As long as you are content with the car and how it performs, that's all that matters. No one needs to prove anything to anyone.
:homerun:

Nuf said.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Administrator

how many times has the poster of this thread been to the track.. thats what i want to know
Old 02-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by SteVTEC
There are MANY completely VALID ways to measure the performance of a car.

Not just 1/4 mile timeslips.
Not just dyno charts.
Not just street races.

I see what you're saying, but consider this. Say you have a modified 400rwhp Grand National and someone asks you what your car runs and you say 11.2@127mph. Their eyes would go The next guy, who has a 700rwhp Supra is asked the same question and he answers "12.8@135mph". Most guys would go "for all that power, it sure isn't very quick". Yes, the Supra is ultimately a faster car, but otherwise it's an undriveable mess from 0-80mph. There is no set standard for which to gauge a cars acceleration for the 1/2 mile, full mile, etc.

The turbo Maximas put down impressive power, but watch the videos. They spin their tires/clutch coming onto boost for multiple seconds. A 250fwhp Maxima would be accelerating in that time frame and would open up an huge lead. What I'm seeing is a chassis that's completely overwhelmed by a massive amount of power. What's the fun in that? I want to be able to put down the power in every gear and at every RPM. That's what makes a car quick and that's what most people want, the strong surge in power in every gear. Not a burst of power met by a momentary lag in power, met by another surge in power, met by another lag in power, etc. Like the old saying goes, power is nothing without control.

Anyways, I'll stick to what I said earlier. Don't brag unless you've got the times to back it up. The 1/4 mile is our measuring stick and that's what most of the world uses. You can gauge a lot about the performance a car from a 1/4 mile slip. You can drive your 300+fwhp Maxima and never track test it and that's you right. Just don't act like the Almighty because you have that sort of power because it takes a driver and a platform to make the equation work. I've pounded a lot of guys in quicker and faster cars at the track simply because they were poor driver. I'm hooked to racing at the track and if I lived 3 hours from the nearest track, I'd still go a few time a year.

And Sprint-

I wasn't talking about you. I know that you've been to the track in the past and I never read about you bragging about your car's performance.

Dave
Old 02-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Administrator

And Sprint-

I wasn't talking about you. I know that you've been to the track in the past and I never read about you bragging about your car's performance.

Dave
ok then nevermind
Old 02-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

The turbo Maximas put down impressive power, but watch the videos. They spin their tires/clutch coming onto boost for multiple seconds. A 250fwhp Maxima would be accelerating in that time frame and would open up an huge lead.
T3/T04E gives massive lowend power... so much that it's hard to control effectively with street tires. Ask the SC guys about traction. You have none with street tires. Nitrous, SC, TC... it's all the same.

You can gauge a lot about the performance a car from a 1/4 mile slip. You can drive your 300+fwhp Maxima and never track test it and that's you right. Just don't act like the Almighty because you have that sort of power because it takes a driver and a platform to make the equation work. I've pounded a lot of guys in quicker and faster cars at the track simply because they were poor driver. I'm hooked to racing at the track and if I lived 3 hours from the nearest track, I'd still go a few time a year.

Dave
So you can gauge a lot about the performance of a car if the driver drives like crap? If the driver can't drive the slip will not show the true potential of the car... correct?

Priorities... is that taken into consideration when we judge others?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Kev just bring it to the track already!!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:09 PM
SLOW

I like going to the track because it's fun as hell. Other people that don't find it fun need not go to the track if they don't enjoy it, certainly not for the benefit of others on the org, I know I sure as hell don't go to the track to benefit others, I go because I love racing.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:44 PM

Anyways, I'll stick to what I said earlier. Don't brag unless you've got the times to back it up. The 1/4 mile is our measuring stick and that's what most of the world uses.
I'll change one little thing and then I'll agree with you.

Don't brag about 1/4 mile times unless you've got the times to back it up.
aah, much better

The guys with 400 fwhp Maxima's should not be "bragging" about what their car "could" run until they actually get to the track. If CarTest says that their car is "theoretically capable" of a 12.8 @ 120 then that's nice. But they don't have a 12-second car until they hold a 12-second timeslip and actually get that sucker to run in the 12's while fighting traction problems all the way down the track! :-D

In the meantime, they sure as hell CAN brag about how they're gonna whoop on you on the highway, because they most certainly will. On the highway, a car that runs only 15.0, but at 120 mph, sure as heck is gonna walk all over a "faster" car that runs 14.6 but at only 96 mph. :-)

And when a "slower" Miata that only runs a 15.5 @ 90 in the 1/4 mile beats all over you at the autocross, the Miata driver most certainly DOES have bragging rights that he'll kick your butt in the twisties. ;-)

Different folks have different priorities, and different goals when tuning their cars, and they also have their own definitions and criteria for "fast". If you insist on judging a car that's setup for 70-160 with your 1/4 mile "measuring stick" then that's your right. And if you insist on judging a car that's setup for the autocross by its relatively slower 15.5 @ 90, and not by its handling, then that's also you're right.

But it's also my right to tell you that you're crazy!
Old 02-18-2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I like going to the track because it's fun as hell. Other people that don't find it fun need not go to the track if they don't enjoy it, certainly not for the benefit of others on the org, I know I sure as hell don't go to the track to benefit others, I go because I love racing.
I agree
Old 02-18-2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
We have 12 Import races scheduled for this year, 6 at each of our two tracks. One is over 2 hours away the other is almost 2 hours.

I will hopefully be competing at every event, plus a few T&T's prior to the start of the season.

Like Nealoc187 says you do it for the love of it, period.

If your not a racer you won't be able to find the time for it. If you love racing then it will become your first priority.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Jime
The majority of boosted cars are SHOW CARS. There are some nitrous show cars as well but most aren't.

Not my ****, I am supercharged and run 13.8 @ 104MPH, 3.25pulley no nitrous

I am a rice man but have the need for speed

Quick Reply: SuperC.....1/4 mile