General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sport Bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sport Bra

I am new to these boards, so if I sound a little uneducated, that's because I am! Anyway I bought a 03 SE and got one of those sport Bras for the front. Can anyone give me some tips on proper maintanence for these? For example, I know you are probably supposed to remove this everytime you wash the car, but do you have to do this everytime? Also, I'd like to hear your opinions on these, a friend told me that the sport bras can discolor the paint when moisture is trapped under there. Is this true? So then what happens when it rains? I do a lot of highway travelling, so I thought the bra would be a good idea. Now I am not sure...Thanks in advance-

Confused But Happy New Owner
Old 02-18-2003, 02:38 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Sport Bra

Originally posted by airgiles1
I am new to these boards, so if I sound a little uneducated, that's because I am! Anyway I bought a 03 SE and got one of those sport Bras for the front. Can anyone give me some tips on proper maintanence for these? For example, I know you are probably supposed to remove this everytime you wash the car, but do you have to do this everytime? Also, I'd like to hear your opinions on these, a friend told me that the sport bras can discolor the paint when moisture is trapped under there. Is this true? So then what happens when it rains? I do a lot of highway travelling, so I thought the bra would be a good idea. Now I am not sure...Thanks in advance-

they suck! Sell it to me for fi-dolla!

seriously, take it off when you wash the car or when it gets wet. It will only discolor the paint if you leave it on forever... if you're really concerned, return it (or sell it to me - DIBS!) and get 3M clearbra.... search around here for clear bra and you'll find plenty of opinions.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:55 PM

Car Bra

Good idea for protecting the front of your car. I've had mine on for over a year and if you are diligent in taking it off when wet and right before you wash it, it serves the pupose well. Don't leave it on when going through a car wash. This will scratch the hell out of the paint especially when going through the dry cycle. That strong air blowing will rattle the hell out of the bra and cause some marks. To each his own, some people think its a pain in the #ss. Putting it on then taking it off all the time can be bothersome, but a few less paint chips on the hood for your effort; well you be the judge.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Sport Bra

LESSON #1

a sport bra is what a woman wears

you on the other hand purchased a NOSE MASK

end of lesson
welcome to the org
Old 02-18-2003, 05:16 PM

Re: Re: Sport Bra

yo i think they suck cus it mashes up da color for sho.. i would go with a deflector
Old 02-18-2003, 05:46 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Sport Bra

Originally posted by HYPE_MAX
yo i think they suck cus it mashes up da color for sho.. i would go with a deflector
what is this, gang-sta max?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sport Bra

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

what is this, gang-sta max?
4 shizz nicks
Old 02-18-2003, 09:02 PM

those hood deflectors for the 5th gens do look kind of sharp.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:42 AM
lcf

Go with the 3M and if you like how your car looks with the bra on, put'em both on.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hood deflector

Where can I go to take a look at these hood deflectors? And how much do they run? Also, what is the best method for cleaning the NOSE MASK? I will stop calling the thing a sport bra, lesson learned...

LESS CONFUSED BUT STILL HAPPY
Old 02-20-2003, 04:45 PM

Re: hood deflector

Also, what is the best method for cleaning the NOSE MASK? I will stop calling the thing a sport bra, lesson learned...

you can use soap and water to clean the nose mask....I treat it with leather conditioner (even though it is pleather) to keep it supple and crack free....
Old 02-22-2003, 07:28 AM

Re: Re: hood deflector

Originally posted by ms.thicknes

to keep it supple and crack free....

i thought other things were supple
Old 02-22-2003, 09:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: hood deflector

Originally posted by BOZOnPJs

i thought other things were supple
and hopefully crack-free...
Old 02-22-2003, 09:47 AM

I took mine off after 1 week of using it. I did not have any damage or paint discoloration because it was not on long enough, but what i did notice was that there was virbation when going 63mph and over. I tightened it, even took it off and had my friend that has put on 10 of these things put it on, and still vibration. I thought i was doing something wrong. i was not. It felt like crap. I thought something was really wrong with my car at first. I have a 1999 Max SE.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:49 PM

I had one of these on the car for over a year. When I took it off, I couldn't believe the damage that was on where it had covered. Slight discoloration (nothing large), and lots of scratches. I didn't take it off all the time during car washes and that's the main reason it happened. However, I don't think that it's entirely safe to begin with.

After a guy in an isuzu super-high SUV climbed his bumper onto my hood, I had it replaced with insurance. The whole front end of the hood had a massive dent in the middle, and I couldn't even tell when I brought it into the repair shop. It was only after they had replaced the hood that even they noticed. If I was ever in an accident where the front of the hood was bent (ie, not crinkled up in the middle like most hood-bends), I would reuse the bra to cover it up until it was fixed.

With the exception of that, the bra is now sitting in my storage.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: hood deflector

Originally posted by Weasel
and hopefully crack-free...
LOL.. maybe some stretch marks??.. no?.. hey we're all human.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Magnetic Bra

So I have taken the Nose Mask off now, and I can see what you are all saying. After having it on for a week(during which there was snow and rain), I saw the buildup of grit and discoloration starting to occur. A good washing got rid off this, but I am going to try the magnetic bra and see if this works any better. It rains quite a bit in the area that I live in, so I would like to find the best combination of protection against moisture and residue damage. Ease of use would also be a key, since I'll probably have to remove it quite a bit. Any thoughts?

Still searching
Old 02-24-2003, 10:24 AM

Just anti up the money and get a clear bra. Make sure the material they use does not have UV protection, otherwise the paint under the bra will not fade, but the rest of your car will. You want all of the paint to fade evenly.
There is no removing of this bra and you won't even see that it is there. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2003, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by FASST LN
Just anti up the money and get a clear bra. Make sure the material they use does not have UV protection, otherwise the paint under the bra will not fade, but the rest of your car will. You want all of the paint to fade evenly.
There is no removing of this bra and you won't even see that it is there. Good luck!
I agree. You can go to www.xpel.com and get the hood and mirror clear kit for $120.