General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: [chant]*video*video*video*[/chant]

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I sure hope PFI is overnighting that sucker!

Also, what boost levels are you getting at different RPMs?

What RPM is the 4psi limit at?
PFI sent it out via USPS yesterday... don't know if it was overnight or not.

I took the car from about 3k in 2nd all the way to the end of 3rd on the freeway so I couldn't tell you what was what until the car gets on the dyno or I find a very empty road.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Kev, before you dyno you should get an rpm window switch wired into the NVIS so you can try different RPM's, I bet their is power and or tq to be gained.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Kev, before you dyno you should get an rpm window switch wired into the NVIS so you can try different RPM's, I bet their is power and or tq to be gained.
That's an interesting idea, but from the old dynos, it looks like Nissan has optimized the switchover point.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

That's an interesting idea, but from the old dynos, it looks like Nissan has optimized the switchover point, and since i am too lazy i don't feel like doing it
Old 02-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by SprintMax

Old 02-20-2003, 07:21 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I for free. PM me to set up a time and date.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Langley AFB Sux

No kidding
Old 02-20-2003, 07:33 AM
Administrator

I when 'd me
Old 02-20-2003, 10:06 AM

Now put the SC back in, but leave the turbo....

Old 02-20-2003, 02:19 PM

Hey Kev

I don't like the way your car looks at all! Everyone thinks it's ugly ... so why don't you just give it to me? (jealous) Hehe beautiful car! I am still in love with those Brembos they look awesome through the black rims ... though I don't see it in either of the pics.

You don't feel your car is very powerful until someone else drives you in it....I will gladly sacrifice myself for a good cause :P! Sounds like you need tuning really badly! If it pulls about as hard as with your S/C and you have a wastegate leak and it's running super rich, imagine what it should do with those problems fixed!

You obviously didn't follow my instructions on going up carefully through the rpm range . Hehe, it's hard to resist! I will try to change my plans and come back early to visit with you. I would love to be there when you dyno it. I can capture it on video now ... though you can too, I suppose!

Have fun ...!
Old 02-20-2003, 02:59 PM

Old 02-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Lordrandall
Now put the SC back in, but leave the turbo....

:cool
Use the SC to feed the turbo.

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Hey Kev

I don't like the way your car looks at all! Everyone thinks it's ugly ... so why don't you just give it to me? :-D (jealous) Hehe beautiful car! I am still in love with those Brembos they look awesome through the black rims ... though I don't see it in either of the pics.

You don't feel your car is very powerful until someone else drives you in it....I will gladly sacrifice myself for a good cause :-P! Sounds like you need tuning really badly! If it pulls about as hard as with your S/C and you have a wastegate leak and it's running super rich, imagine what it should do with those problems fixed!

You obviously didn't follow my instructions on going up carefully through the rpm range ;-). Hehe, it's hard to resist! I will try to change my plans and come back early to visit with you. I would love to be there when you dyno it. I can capture it on video now ... though you can too, I suppose!

Have fun ...!
Sure, you can have it. Click on the second pic and you'll see the caliper.

While test driving the car yesterday, I found that boost kicked in at around 2500 in 5th gear. I didn't go past 4 psi, but boost kicking in that early with a large turbo is amazing. I was expecing more like 3000-3500. I can't wait to fix the leak today. Funny thing is I borrowed one from the shop and Bill's package arrived in the mail today so I have two valve seat rings sitting in front of me (waiting for the car to cool down).

Yes, I need tuning BAD! I rode out 4th on the freeway today and the EGT's only hit 710 C. :-(

Instructions? What instructions? Hehehe... I still haven't gone through your instructions yet because I have been tweaking the car this past week. I'll get to it soon though. I haven't read your old instructions either. Hehehe.... ooops.

Come back early so you can test drive the car... again.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Banned

So you going to let me drive when i come out there
Old 02-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Kev,

All i can say is . I love ur car lol. You are my hero man... Ill never forget the time when i began modding my max and typed maxima in the yahoo search and maxima.org came up and i was lurkin around and found ur car. Your car stood out the most of any maxima Id seen since you seemed to be one of the few extremely modded 5th gens back then and you have seriously become an inspirition for me and my max. Congrats on all ur accomplishments with ur max and i just wanna say thank you to you and all these other maxima enthusiasts on this forum. You guys have all taught me so much and have fed my love for automobiles. Sorry to sound cheesy haha, but seriously man, awesome car.... ok im done lol

-Steve
Old 02-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by matt calder
So you going to let me drive when i come out there:naughty

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
Kev,

All i can say is . I love ur car lol. You are my hero man... Ill never forget the time when i began modding my max and typed maxima in the yahoo search and maxima.org came up and i was lurkin around and found ur car. Your car stood out the most of any maxima Id seen since you seemed to be one of the few extremely modded 5th gens back then and you have seriously become an inspirition for me and my max. Congrats on all ur accomplishments with ur max and i just wanna say thank you to you and all these other maxima enthusiasts on this forum. You guys have all taught me so much and have fed my love for automobiles. Sorry to sound cheesy haha, but seriously man, awesome car.... ok im done lol

Steve
Thank you, Steve.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:30 AM

i remember talking to you about running 4-6 psi as a daily driver if i went boost, are you going to do the same?? i cant envision you driving at 4-6 psi especially if it doesnt feel stronger then that supercharger crap...

more stuff came in the mail today, another pile of chrome is coming soon

jason

matt - you can drive my car anytime you want buddy.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Administrator

so saddler.. when you going to dump that POS or make it faster?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:35 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by thebigsadler
i remember talking to you about running 4-6 psi as a daily driver if i went boost, are you going to do the same?? i cant envision you driving at 4-6 psi especially if it doesnt feel stronger then that supercharger crap...

more stuff came in the mail today, another pile of chrome is coming soon :-D

jason

Nope... 10-11 daily driven. I currently have it turned up to 12 for some odd reason. I purposely tee'ed off the boost controller incorrectly so it won't give me all 12. Reason why... I want to have a nippled welded onto the TB intake pipe for a cleaner look (versus drilling and tapping).

I fixed the exhaust leak yesterday and I can say with confidence that between 2500-4000, the turbo is MUCH stronger than the SC EVER, EVER, EVER was. I'm able hit 3.6 psi at 3067... and the car wasn't even at WOT.

More bling bling, eh?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Funny thing is I borrowed one from the shop and Bill's package arrived in the mail today so I have two valve seat rings sitting in front of me (waiting for the car to cool down).

Old 02-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Not Evil Bill, but PFI Bill.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by bill99gxe

yeah i thought your wife had removed your jewels and mailed them to kev
Old 02-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

yeah i thought your wife had removed your jewels and mailed them to kev

Between that comment and your *ahem* comment in your sig, you are crackin me up.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:39 PM

dump that pos or make it faster
whenever someone steals it i'll dump it
Old 02-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi

I accidentally bounced off the rev limiter twice in first gear because I forgot how fast the car climbed in that gear.
url]
because you cant drive stick- admit it
Old 02-21-2003, 04:51 PM

boosting at 2500 rpm whoa!! I take it you like it then? That's what I was really afraid of ... if you didn't like it after waiting all that time!
When tuned, it's gonna kick some serious booty! The power of a BB turbo!

11 psi? Not sure what you mean by teeing off. Teeing off should raise your boost if you tee off the wastegate. If yours is like mine, you'll run super rich at 4000 rpm (it may be earlier since yours is a BB turbo) you can lean it out a little there. Are you running with the cartech totally unadjusted or set to high ratio? I found that once it started seriously boosting, the fuel went super rich cos the FPR started forcing fuel in there. I think it is safe to lean it out a little in that range and watch EGTs, just don't touch above 5000 rpm. You'll have to play with your Cartech and S-AFC a to find the optimum points. I had black smoke pouring out of mine and severe bogging at 3500-4000 rpm until I did that.

I wanna go home!!!!!

Use the SC to feed the turbo.

Sure, you can have it. Click on the second pic and you'll see the caliper.

:
Old 02-21-2003, 05:04 PM

Sprint your sig owns
Old 02-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by yongjun
Sprint your sig owns
Old 02-21-2003, 05:58 PM

Sprint i want your ****
Old 02-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Old 02-21-2003, 08:50 PM

You can suck my ****.
You suck
Old 02-21-2003, 10:57 PM

You can suck my ****.
You suck
easy killer.. calllm calllm
Old 02-22-2003, 06:04 AM

easy killer.. calllm calllm

Old 02-22-2003, 09:07 AM

I fixed the exhaust leak yesterday
was the leak in the exhaust manifold? what turbo manifold did you go with? was the ic (intercooler) piping custom or did it come w/ your intercooler? i'm impressed man. 3.6 pounds giving more power than a sc is real impressive
Old 02-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Banned

Sounds good to me. I will have the ladies chasing us all the way down the block..
Old 02-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by IgNiTe

was the leak in the exhaust manifold? what turbo manifold did you go with? was the ic (intercooler) piping custom or did it come w/ your intercooler? i'm impressed man. 3.6 pounds giving more power than a sc is real impressive
wastegate
Old 02-22-2003, 04:42 PM

"open wide" - bubba sparx
Old 02-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Still kickin'

why?

why is it that every thread i read goes OT nowadays? that aside sounds great Kev, keep us posted on how it does once you've fixed it.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:14 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: why?

Originally posted by turbo97SE
boosting at 2500 rpm whoa!! I take it you like it then? :-) That's what I was really afraid of ... if you didn't like it after waiting all that time!
When tuned, it's gonna kick some serious booty! The power of a BB turbo!

11 psi? Not sure what you mean by teeing off. Teeing off should raise your boost if you tee off the wastegate. If yours is like mine, you'll run super rich at 4000 rpm (it may be earlier since yours is a BB turbo) you can lean it out a little there. Are you running with the cartech totally unadjusted or set to high ratio? I found that once it started seriously boosting, the fuel went super rich cos the FPR started forcing fuel in there. I think it is safe to lean it out a little in that range and watch EGTs, just don't touch above 5000 rpm. You'll have to play with your Cartech and S-AFC a to find the optimum points. I had black smoke pouring out of mine and severe bogging at 3500-4000 rpm until I did that.

I wanna go home!!!!!

So far, I like it... but I know I'll like it even more when I tee off the BC's vacuum hoses correctly.

No, I'm actually running the "in" on the BC's solenoid and the barb on the bottom of the wastegate off the compressor so the BC doesn't take into account the pressure loss of the piping. I'm running the CarTech about 1/2 turn from full rate gain. Still too rich and no major tweaking until the car is on the dyno.

Originally posted by IgNiTe

Leak from the wastegate because it wasn't fully sealing the flange at idle. No turbo manifold, but a custom y-pipe. The piping for the IC came with the PFI kit, but it was somewhat modified per my requests.

Originally posted by Mad-MAX_SE
why is it that every thread i read goes OT nowadays? that aside sounds great Kev, keep us posted on how it does once you've fixed it.
Because they assume that I wouldn't lock my own thread... which I would. The leak is fixed.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Boost.....

Re: Re: Now that she runs....

Jane said it hit harder than the SC and I say it didn't hit as hard..... so that tells you about how accurate butt dyno is. Go with a smaller turbo if you want to "feel" the power.

Who's butt is bigger????

Old 02-24-2003, 11:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Now that she runs....

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp

Who's butt is bigger????

heeehehheeh. I know the answer

Quick Reply: Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi