General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi

It definitely felt strong when the car was at WOT... not as strong as the SC, but the hit at 3500 (boost will kick in sooner when the leak is fixed) is NICE!

I accidentally bounced off the rev limiter twice in first gear because I forgot how fast the car climbed in that gear. The car was smoking from under the hood after that happened. I thought I blew the motor, but the car was idling fine so I just assumed the new exhaust pipes were culprit.

The spooling sound of the turbo sounds MUCH nicer than the SC.

Two new pics of the car with the VIS carbon fiber hood:

Old 02-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Waiting for dyno's

ah getting turbo and first drives are like being 16 and getting your license all over again

and I'm scared to say I LOVE your wheels, and I dont like dark wheels... whats wrong with me?

your car is looking good! I know you're having fun there now that it's running, and watch the revlimiter - you have mevi? i've found its near impossible to keep it off that with mevi haha ...

Re: Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Y2KevSE
[B]It definitely felt strong when the car was at WOT... not as strong as the SC, but the hit at 3500 (boost will kick in sooner when the leak is fixed) is NICE!

I accidentally bounced off the rev limiter twice in first gear because I forgot how fast the car climbed in that gear. The car was smoking from under the hood after that happened. I thought I blew the motor, but the car was idling fine so I just assumed the new exhaust pipes were culprit.

The spooling sound of the turbo sounds MUCH nicer than the SC.

Two new pics of the car with the VIS carbon fiber hood:
QUOTE] thats gorgeous!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:49 PM

Kevin- looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it at the next meet. hlh- no MEVI for 5th gens.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by surfermax92
Kevin- looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it at the next meet. hlh- no MEVI for 5th gens.
doh, it's late!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

hmmmm looks a canidate for motm..

loving the hood.. hows the coilovers?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

We have the NVIS, which is like the VIM (kicks in at 5K).

Yeah, I missed the car so much I was driving around the neighborhood for 30 minutes. It was SO fun!

Thanks for the compliment guys. Harold, Volk Racing LE37K if you're interested.

I was MOTM in August of 2000. Hehehe..... coilovers are great! MUCH better than the GC/Koni setup.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:12 PM

yea that carbon hood matches the rims nice......
Old 02-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that CF looks nice! man...can't wait to see your car this saturday!

let me know when are you going to go to dyno....I want to go with you this time.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:27 PM

I love that hood! It goes with your wheels real nice. Best max on the .org!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Sports Button FTW

i like those rims, they match your car very well...
Old 02-18-2003, 10:33 PM

Good googlie mooglie, that's hot! Carbon-fiber hood goes great with the LE37Ks. Smoke from under the hood was probably excess lubricants, grease, etc... burning off, happened to me after I installed my headers, sure makes your heart jump though. I can't overemphasize how great your car looks, it's near perfect.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm sorry I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard now!!

They are tears of joy I swear Kev they are!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:22 PM

how come you didnt get the invader style cf hood?

mmm front mount, i want i want..

get more chrome.

my cartoon car from carl was shipped out yesterday, i am excited as hell!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:01 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Damn that looks hot kev. I like the hood and the wheels.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:01 AM

very nice kev, can't wait to see what that thing will do once the leak is fixed , great job.
Ryan
Old 02-19-2003, 01:53 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

kev,

This may be an off statement, but that is what maxima.org's owners maxima should look like

Doin it and doin it well
Old 02-19-2003, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by bags533
kev,

This may be an off statement, but that is what maxima.org's owners maxima should look like
Doin it and doin it well

Looking good Kev!!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 02:31 AM
Administrator

what was the smoking about
Old 02-19-2003, 06:43 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Thanks for the compliment.

Dyno tune in 2-3 weeks. The car is running very rich... the EGT's sit in the 400 C range while cruising. Bad.....

Supermachoman, I did spill some antifreeze on the radiator and oil lines. It's definitely scary when the car starts smoking after bouncing off the limiter. You get that "OH ****!!!" feeling.

No invader style hood for me... it's too wild. No chrome except for under the hood. The drawing will be HUGE. I hope you like it, Jason!

Look at what Supermachoman said, Sprite.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:16 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Now that she runs....

And ya have all your goodies on her (so far, for now ) how was the F&F of the hood installed on the vehicle?

I know you are boosting only like 4psi and it only kicks in about 3500, but is the pull more noticable from 3500 on than your SC? I remember your tq number from your dyno pulls and they really were not to phenomenal. I am suspecting that you might be happier when the leak all go bye bye, but at that point you will be boosting roughly what?

The reason I ask (and I know this is a work in progress and this is all butt dyno feel) is I have no real intentions of boosting more the 5psi. If "speculation" at 5psi is not to good, then I might be outta my league. I am kinda timid about being a "boost monster" and breaking something internally.

And then again it might be all relatvie since when you had the SC, you "had the power" and I have yet to "experience the power".
Old 02-19-2003, 07:31 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Damn Kev, Cars looking good... wish I was rolling like that...
Old 02-19-2003, 07:47 AM

i just mite be going home this weekend.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:54 AM

wow kev! i cant wait for feedback once everything is perfect
Old 02-19-2003, 07:55 AM

Hot as usual Kev, now where's my turbo
Old 02-19-2003, 07:57 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
[B]I accidentally bounced off the rev limiter twice in first gear because I forgot how fast the car climbed in that gear.

Keving... learn to shift!

MWuhahaha

automagicboi
Old 02-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Now that she runs....

Originally posted by Colonel
And ya have all your goodies on her (so far, for now ) how was the F&F of the hood installed on the vehicle?
I still don't have all the goodies on the car yet, but close though. The hood couldn't have been installed without Jane's help. Installation was simple, but drilling the holes for the pins was time consuming. After measuring out where the holes needed to be drilled, I still drilled too far off. The passenger side's hole is larger than normal, but the hood pin covers the mistake.

I know you are boosting only like 4psi and it only kicks in about 3500, but is the pull more noticable from 3500 on than your SC? I remember your tq number from your dyno pulls and they really were not to phenomenal. I am suspecting that you might be happier when the leak all go bye bye, but at that point you will be boosting roughly what?
The pull is definitely noticeable at 3500 (keep in mind this is a large turbo, so you'll feel more with a smaller turbo). It's really hard to say at what RPM the car will be boosting at when the leak is fixed. I'm guessing maybe around 3000... we'll see.

The reason I ask (and I know this is a work in progress and this is all butt dyno feel) is I have no real intentions of boosting more the 5psi. If "speculation" at 5psi is not to good, then I might be outta my league. I am kinda timid about being a "boost monster" and breaking something internally.
4 psi on the turbo "feels" almost as good as what the SC was when it was in that RPM range. Jane said it hit harder than the SC and I say it didn't hit as hard..... so that tells you about how accurate butt dyno is. Go with a smaller turbo if you want to "feel" the power.

And then again it might be all relatvie since when you had the SC, you "had the power" and I have yet to "experience the power". :-D
"Feel" the power and you won't turn back.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

try not to learn manual on a turbo'd max please...

Old 02-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi

Originally posted by Chebosto

:rolleyes
Keving... learn to shift!

MWuhahaha

automagicboi

Definitely another update when the valve seat is installed in the wastegate. I'll try and give a fair an unbiased opinion once that happens.

Come up, Daniel.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:21 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Chris91SE
try not to learn manual on a turbo'd max please...:-D

:lickout
Old 02-19-2003, 08:27 AM

No invader style hood for me... it's too wild. No chrome except for under the hood. The drawing will be HUGE. I hope you like it, Jason!

i wish we had an invader/predator style hood for the 4th gens in CF, i think it runs well with the body lines..

i think i ordered the a2 size, because of something carl said, but i can't remember all i know is it should be here sometime soon, along with a buttload of other stuff
Old 02-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Now that she runs....

I still don't have all the goodies on the car yet, but close though. The hood couldn't have been installed without Jane's help. Installation was simple, but drilling the holes for the pins was time consuming. After measuring out where the holes needed to be drilled, I still drilled too far off. The passenger side's hole is larger than normal, but the hood pin covers the mistake.
But as far as the "lines" of the hood. I.E. the gap between the fender and the hood and the gap between the grill and the hood, you are happy with the turn out?

4 psi on the turbo "feels" almost as good as what the SC was when it was in that RPM range. Jane said it hit harder than the SC and I say it didn't hit as hard..... so that tells you about how accurate butt dyno is. Go with a smaller turbo if you want to "feel" the power.
Yeah, I knew I would be getting an "opinion" versus fact. So you got the T04 for the high end capability? I.E. Highway beast? If I go smaller, spool time is quicker, but it runs out of breath up top right?

"Feel" the power and you won't turn back.
I am comin, just have to be "sure" before plunking down the investment. If I buy and am not "100% happy" and my wife gets wind of it...I am a dead man.

Thanks for your time and patience with my constant questions.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:42 AM

Great job, Kev...we are all interested in the final monster you have created.

can you express what changes you may have done to the exhaust?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by thebigsadler

i wish we had an invader/predator style hood for the 4th gens in CF, i think it runs well with the body lines..

i think i ordered the a2 size, because of something carl said, but i can't remember all i know is it should be here sometime soon, along with a buttload of other stuff :-D
A2 is HUGE! It would make a nice poster... but laminate it first.

But as far as the "lines" of the hood. I.E. the gap between the fender and the hood and the gap between the grill and the hood, you are happy with the turn out?

Yeah, I knew I would be getting an "opinion" versus fact. So you got the T04 for the high end capability? I.E. Highway beast? If I go smaller, spool time is quicker, but it runs out of breath up top right?

I am comin, just have to be "sure" before plunking down the investment. If I buy and am not "100% happy" and my wife gets wind of it...I am a dead man. :laugh

Thanks for your time and patience with my constant questions.
The gap on the passenger side is larger than the driver side... about 1/8" larger. Other than that, it fits perfectly and I'm totally happy with the hood.

Yes, I got the T4/T04E for high end power and lack of low end power. In my opinion, the VQ engine makes more than enough torque to spin the wheels and lose traction. Having boost come on later will give the tires a chance to grab before losing traction again. With the T3/T04E, boost should kick in at around 2K (Matthel's car). I can't comment on the T3/T04E high end power because I haven't seen an adequate dyno graph yet. I would rip through first gear with the tires slipping (not feathering clutch/gas) with the SC... something I wasn't too keen about. It may look cool, having some traction is better.

Anyone in your area with a SC? See if you can take a ride in it, but remember SC = linear, while turbo = exponential.

I'm glad I can help.

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Great job, Kev...we are all interested in the final monster you have created.

can you express what changes you may have done to the exhaust?
Thanks Tracy! I'm using PFI's y-pipe and down-pipe. The cat and cat-back are still there.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:03 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Hey kev,
now that you've got the ultimate snail installed, was it worth swapping out the SC and going turbo? all those monthes w/o a car, hitting jane up for rides everwhere...

sheeze!

for such low boost, isnt ur intercooler like way overkill? how much CFM can that thing do?
Old 02-19-2003, 10:34 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...In my opinion, the VQ engine makes more than enough torque to spin the wheels and lose traction. Having boost come on later will give the tires a chance to grab before losing traction again. With the T3/T04E, boost should kick in at around 2K (Matthel's car). I can't comment on the T3/T04E high end power because I haven't seen an adequate dyno graph yet. I would rip through first gear with the tires slipping (not feathering clutch/gas) with the SC... something I wasn't too keen about. It may look cool, having some traction is better.
Yeah, good tires are expensive and constantly peeling out isnt good on hardware. [makes more notes in his turbo notebook] I will watch for your comments once you get things up and about.

Anyone in your area with a SC? See if you can take a ride in it, but remember SC = linear, while turbo = exponential.

I'm glad I can help.
I had a nice DSM (91) WAY back in the day. I LIKE and understand turbo. But it was there to start. Not as sure about "adding" one.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Chebosto
Hey kev,
now that you've got the ultimate snail installed, was it worth swapping out the SC and going turbo? all those monthes w/o a car, hitting jane up for rides everwhere...

sheeze!

for such low boost, isnt ur intercooler like way overkill? how much CFM can that thing do?
PFI had issues with their kit but they have fixed the problems already. As far as if was worth the time, effort, etc. or not? I'll let you know when the car is working correctly. Currently, I can't give you a good critique because of the leak.

You're sick if you think I'm going to keep it at 4 psi. I'm not sure what the CFM is, but the Spearco core is about 29.5" X 7.75" X 3.5"... or something close to that when I measured it.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Administrator

something close to that when I measured it.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

[chant]*video*video*video*[/chant]

I sure hope PFI is overnighting that sucker!

Also, what boost levels are you getting at different RPMs?

What RPM is the 4psi limit at?

Quick Reply: Despite the leak from the wastegate, the car was still able to pull of 4 psi