General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I really hate my insurance company

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

It's also a good reason to ban you, as these shots are known about and discussed on way too frequent of a basis on private forums here. It's a colossal waste of everyone's time.

Getting over your bitterness and simply posting your opinion on the actual topic rather than the bitterness diatribe will garner more respect for you.
You just don't quit, I am posting my opinion about the topic, someone else brought up the on/off topic, go yell at him.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:28 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by ericdwong

get $ from you anyway they can by installing redlight cameras.
redlight cameras are an excellent idea !
Old 02-20-2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

redlight cameras are an excellent idea !
I think he was complaining how they use our tax money to install them and in return it gets more of our money out of our pockets. Kind of funny how it works like that.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I see what you mean. BUT, the insurance companies make more $ this way. And the way you suggest makes for more time and resources to look after individual accounts. You know they ain't gonna do that.

Here's the deal Eric. I'm pretty sure you will be involved in another "incident" before long. So if I were you, I would somehow resolve this Vette thing and start looking for another insurance company. Be prepared to pay though the nose or not be able to be insured at all. Young kids + Vette = not being able to be insured in many cases.

I think we have all commented on this BEFORE you got the vette?

Eric. Why do you think State Farm has low rates? You complain that they should cover you(ie.. spend a wad of $ on you) but then you go with them because they have low rates. You can't have it all Eric. State Farm is one of the companies(I believe) that prefers to handle low risk policy holders. Thus charges low rates. Even though you might have had "minor" incidents, your young age + the motorcycle/Vette + the type of tickets = HIGH RISK. To them (and to me also), you're a major accident waiting to happen. That means State Farm thinks you're [ ] close to costing them a wad of cash. Believe it or not, insurance companies are a for profit business or more accurately an investment firm. You are a high risk, low profit investment. Thus they will dump you like you had "ENRON" stamped on your forehead.

Higher risk companies will insure you of course, but for that extra risk, comes extra compensation for them.

Young driver + a few tickets/accidents + VETTE = hot potato. What more needs to be said? If you want the insurance companies to act different, consult the insurance commissioner and demand changes. If not, live with it. The rest of us do.

Why to people insist on ice skating uphill?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:40 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by BrianV

I think he was complaining how they use our tax money to install them and in return it gets more of our money out of our pockets. Kind of funny how it works like that.
same could be said of a lot of stuff... my taxes went up so cops in my town could buy new equipment (well, that was one of the line items). That equipment? New radar guns! So you can look at it one of two ways... they took my money to get new stuff to try to take my money, OR, they took A LITTLE of my money to catch other people doing illegal stuff so in the long run it costs me less. It seems people who do "wrong" or "illegal" stuff complain about having to pay more, when really it should be the people who NEVER do anything wrong should be complaining. I'm paying more than I feel I should because of other people's screw-ups.

and believe it or not, this is on-topic for this thread. Insurance companies take a little of everyone's money, and when someone screws up (for WHATEVER reason) they take more of that person's money. Why is this a difficult concept? I pay what I pay for insurance; I don't speed (well, I haven't been caught ), I've never hit a car/deer/person/snowbank/curb, my insurance company has never had to pay out on me. If I hit a car/deer/person/snowbank/curb and my insurance company finds out, I expect my rate to go up.

I might not be happy about it, but it's not rocket science.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:42 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Young driver + a few tickets/accidents + VETTE = hot potato. What more needs to be said? If you want the insurance companies to act different, consult the insurance commissioner and demand changes. If not, live with it. The rest of us do.

Why to people insist on ice skating uphill? [/B]
Old 02-20-2003, 08:51 AM

man i'm 19 and i pay close to 2000 a year for a 1990 gxe...and all i have is liablity....i have metlife and i'm on my moms policy.
i've had no accidents or tickets on my liscense at all....
i live in rhode island
why is it you pay 1600 full coverage on a vette?
maybe i need to change my company....
damn....
Old 02-20-2003, 08:54 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by Freaknificent
man i'm 19 and i pay close to 2000 a year for a 1990 gxe...and all i have is liablity....i have metlife and i'm on my moms policy.
i live in rhode island
damn....
YOU DEFINITELY need to change companies... or your mom is gouging you on insurance costs
Old 02-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: I really hate my insurance company

So this brings me to my personal situation. I have 1 ticket for burning out in the Maxima in May of 2001. Later that year I wrecked the motorcycle which was a single vehicle accident. 2002 was clean somehow. But this means I will have to go ALL of 2003 through most of 2004 WITHOUT getting ONE MORE ticket or crashing! Yikes! And I got 2 high risk vehicles to do that with. And 1 of those vehicles only has 2 wheels so its even more prone to crashing.

God forbid you have to be a safe/sane driver for couple years. It's not hard to have a clean driving record. Cut me a break...
Old 02-20-2003, 08:56 AM

YOU DEFINITELY need to change companies... or your mom is gouging you on insurance costs
hehe
i'd say it was my mom but i saw the policy myself and its all true....
whats the best way to find rates? is there a web site? or should i just get out the phone book and start playing phone tag?
Old 02-20-2003, 08:58 AM

oh yea to stay on topic in this thread.... maybe you should look into public transportation for a lil...
j/k
but seriously take it easy for the remainder of the policy.... do what ya gotta do and best of luck
Old 02-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Why to people insist on ice skating uphill? [/B]
Old 02-20-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

Rates are high because Mom has ALOT more to lose if you/she hurts someone. ie.. house and any other equity. Takes 15 min to call a few other companies to get quotes. If you get rates in your own name, it might be cheaper because the only equity you have is probably your car.

i live in rhode island
damn....
Old 02-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Ok....just so im not confused.

You have a motorcycle.......and a maxima.....which you apparently could not take care of and was not fast enough. Then you got a vette.....a C5 no less then crashed it. How, at 19 years of age can you afford these?

Yeah....exactly.

Then you pi** and moan about your insurance which you dont even pay?

Must be nice.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:08 AM
It's chrome alright...

whats the best way to find rates?
Here's what I'd do:

1. call your existing company and tell them it's too expensive and you're going to shop around. They might "find a way to lower your payment" for you.
2. ask friends what they're paying. Ask a few dozen... one of them has a mom or dad who's either in the business or did some howework.
3. cold-call state farm (eric's, seems inexpensive from what's in this thread), amica (mine and inexpensive, but I also have 2 cars and homeowner's), prudential, allstate.... or do a search here for "cheap insurance"... there are a few threads and even a phone number or two.

I agree with Jeff said, too... involve mom before doing any of this. She might have reasons to keep things as they are.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:10 AM

Here's what I'd do:

1. call your existing company and tell them it's too expensive and you're going to shop around. They might "find a way to lower your payment" for you.
2. ask friends what they're paying. Ask a few dozen... one of them has a mom or dad who's either in the business or did some howework.
3. cold-call state farm (eric's, seems inexpensive from what's in this thread), amica (mine and inexpensive, but I also have 2 cars and homeowner's), prudential, allstate.... or do a search here for "cheap insurance"... there are a few threads and even a phone number or two.
guess my plans for the weekend are all set...hehe
thanks for info and advice
Old 02-20-2003, 09:29 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Here's what I'd do:

I agree with Jeff said, too... involve mom before doing any of this. She might have reasons to keep things as they are.
All good ideas above. However, the Wall Street Journal (can't start
my day without it) also ran some coverage of cut-rate insurers. In
the last couple of years nearly 40% of them have gone the bankruptcy
route - leaving people with unpaid or only partially-paid claims. I
would watch out for smallish or regional discount insurers.

Eric, I understand what you mean about wanting individual assessment.
However, I would still side with the insurance company in this case
even after reviewing your individual incidents. The types of
violations and accidents you have had, while they don't indicate fault,
do indicate high-risk behavior. You even noted your videos as an
indication of what you might have been doing the night of the Vette
crash. They're looking at it and saying it's highly improbable that
the only time you ever engaged in these behaviors that resulted in
minor tickets were the time(s) you got caught. Translation = Driver
engages in high-risk behavior on a semi-frequent to frequent basis.
In case they're wrong, they give you some slack with the 36 month period.
In case they're right, the mitigate their risk exposure.

So, wheels down - seat up, traction control on in the Vette, and
take it easy in the Maxima.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Cheaper insurance = better for monthly bottom line.

Cheaper insurance /= better when you actually NEED it.

My $0.02

Good luck, eric.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: I really hate my insurance company

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Anyway, there are 13 states that are no-fault:
Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Utah

Basically it means that your insurance company PAYS YOU regardless of fault. The idea is you don't go to court to try to prove it was only 16% your fault and 84% the other party's fault, and pay out according to that ratio. It does not mean that you hit a deer and your rates will not go up. Hit a deer, experience a theft, get a speeding ticket, you will most likely get your insurance cancelled.

frank, i don't mean to sound harsh but you have no idea what you're talking about. the information you gave above is completely false. "no fault" insurance does not mean that your company pays you for your damages regardless of fault. no fault specifically applies to PIP or personal injury protection coverage. it has nothing to do with the car. no fault means that you go through your own insurance carrier for any medical bills regardless of fault. it is meant to provide immediate medical coverage for those that need it - rather than them having to wait days/weeks while the insurance companies battle it out.

if you are at fault for an accident you MUST claim through your own comp or collision for damage to your car. if you don't have comp/coll you're SOL.

eric - as for the deer thing that you seem so hung up on - the reason that would be considered a 0% negligent accident is because many times deers run out into the road in front of you in a flash. since you've never hit a deer you would not know that. you have no reaction time. of course it's a different story if you hit a cow that is grazing in the middle of the street! but by and large animals dart in front of you. like someone mentioned... if "swerving to avoid the deer" or "skidding on ice" was not at fault everyone would say that's how their accident happened. know what i'm saying?

you also seem to harp on the fact that your "minor" ticket for doing burnouts on trays is completely different than someone going 135mph. think again. if i am your insurance co (and thank god i'm not!) i would treat that just as serious. anyone who does burnouts on trays is not driving responsibly and why would that give me any reason to believe they don't travel at 135 mph? maybe they just haven't been caught. i don't know since i don't do them... but i'd imagine it doesn't take much for something to go seriously wrong when you're burning out on trays??

as far as ice being an issue in your case - i'm not going to preach to you - you've gotten enough of that. but lets be honest here. you might not have been thinking so clearly to take a vette out on a cold night that there might be ice on the road with tc off and without winter tires. whether you were showing off to your buddy or flipping trays under your back wheels only you know but do yourself a favor and don't kid yourself.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: I really hate my insurance company

Originally posted by CKNY

frank, i don't mean to sound harsh but you have no idea what you're talking about. the information you gave above is completely false. "no fault" insurance does not mean that your company pays you for your damages regardless of fault. no fault specifically applies to PIP or personal injury protection coverage. it has nothing to do with the car. no fault means that you go through your own insurance carrier for any medical bills regardless of fault. it is meant to provide immediate medical coverage for those that need it - rather than them having to wait days/weeks while the insurance companies battle it out.

if you are at fault for an accident you MUST claim through your own comp or collision for damage to your car. if you don't have comp/coll you're SOL.

eric - as for the deer thing that you seem so hung up on - the reason that would be considered a 0% negligent accident is because many times deers run out into the road in front of you in a flash. since you've never hit a deer you would not know that. you have no reaction time. of course it's a different story if you hit a cow that is grazing in the middle of the street! but by and large animals dart in front of you. like someone mentioned... if "swerving to avoid the deer" or "skidding on ice" was not at fault everyone would say that's how their accident happened. know what i'm saying?

you also seem to harp on the fact that your "minor" ticket for doing burnouts on trays is completely different than someone going 135mph. think again. if i am your insurance co (and thank god i'm not!) i would treat that just as serious. anyone who does burnouts on trays is not driving responsibly and why would that give me any reason to believe they don't travel at 135 mph? maybe they just haven't been caught. i don't know since i don't do them... but i'd imagine it doesn't take much for something to go seriously wrong when you're burning out on trays??

as far as ice being an issue in your case - i'm not going to preach to you - you've gotten enough of that. but lets be honest here. you might not have been thinking so clearly to take a vette out on a cold night that there might be ice on the road with tc off and without winter tires. whether you were showing off to your buddy or flipping trays under your back wheels only you know but do yourself a favor and don't kid yourself.
You are my hero, most of that is what I attempted to say earlier, but anyways this guy is DEAD on!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 12:08 PM

eric - as for the deer thing that you seem so hung up on - the reason that would be considered a 0% negligent accident is because many times deers run out into the road in front of you in a flash. since you've never hit a deer you would not know that.
Wanna bet? This was my mom's car.

Old 02-20-2003, 01:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I really hate my insurance company

Wanna bet? This was my mom's car.

Well it's obvious from this picture that your mother lived, if she swerved off the road and drove off a cliff the camry would look a lot worse, and the beauty of her accident is it was covered by insurance, if she drove off a cliff it wouldn't be, but her life insurance might cover her life.

You are really hung up on this deer thing. Deer and ice are not the same. I know that when I see deer crossing signs I slow down and keep my eyes open just like I do when I see an ICE sign. It's a lot easier to control yourself in ice then it is to avoid a wild deer that just decides to dart out in front of you at 60 MPH. Your judgement should be able to tell you when you're in an ice like condition and if you knew there was ice around or thought there was you should've been a lot more careful coming out of that corner. I've seen and driven cars that have slid in ice, it's unavoidable at times, but when I'm in icy situations I'm going well under 20 MPH with 4x4 on if available. If I slide at 5-10 MPH the damage is slight if any and the car is more easily recoverable.

Not to rant or not, but everyday millions of people drive in ice and hundreds crash, it's not impossible to drive in ice and it's not an insurance companies job to determine whether ice caused the accident or not, ice is just too common. Also, hitting a deer has indisputable evidence that you hit the deer, it's a lot harder to prove that you slipped up on ice which caused the accident. Even the safest of drivers can still hit a deer (deers move fast), but the safest of drivers shouldn't slide out of control and damage property in ice (ice doesn't move towards your car at any rate that is close to fast).
Old 02-20-2003, 01:23 PM

No no I actually was the driver of the car. This happened over my senior year in high school so it was about 4 years ago. Yea I guess I am accident prone.

I'm done arguing here, everybody got done what they needed to say and I got a ton of school work to catch up on now that school's back in session after our blizzard break. Take care everybody.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Banned

Damn, that is one VERY well phrased post--couldn't agree more with you CKNY.

Eric, man, I feel kinda bad for you for taking somewhat of a "beating" on this thread. I know you were expecting people to pity you, and some did do that, but I think if you were looking at your situation from the side, you'd agree with the majority of the poeple here. You're just ****ed off cause YOU are stuck in the position, and I don't blame you, cause I'd be ****ed too, but just look at it from an outsider's perspective, and I think you'll realize that the insurance co. is justified in its response.

Anyhow, just take it easy with the driving, and don't do anything stupid. Try to drive as near to perfect as possible, and chalk this whole thing up as a lesson learned.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

got Huffy?
Old 02-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

For Sale:
Maryland bus map
Maryland train/subway map
local taxi/car service number listing

oh and by the way...my friend who's 18 got a 911 Turbo and his mom pays $1000 in insurance..but the ding bat got 5 speeding tickets and now the company is raising his rate...WTF man?!!?!? why are they raising his rates? it's not like he didn't anything bad.

"oh and i swear officer that deer...err -curb- came out of no where and slam right into my car."

Old 02-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by DanNY
For Sale:
Maryland bus map
Maryland train/subway map
local taxi/car service number listing

oh and by the way...my friend who's 18 got a 911 Turbo and his mom pays $1000 in insurance..but the ding bat got 5 speeding tickets and now the company is raising his rate...WTF man?!!?!? why are they raising his rates? it's not like he didn't anything bad.

"oh and i swear officer that deer...err -curb- came out of no where and slam right into my car."

Old 02-20-2003, 02:41 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

dang u guys are so mean lol
Old 02-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5 pages

Eric you've heard it once, twice, again and again...so I won't repeat. A lot of places may not want to touch you after this but you may want to try Progressive and if worst comes to worse there is always MAIF (Maryland Automobile Insurance Fund) for people like me with a messed up record. Two at fault accidents and a reckless driving ticket, which equals a lot of insurance points and $335 dollars a month for full coverage . I bet that I pay the highest per month for insurance on the Org but I own up to my mistakes and this is the price that I will have to pay for a while.

You live, you learn, you make a mistake you pay the price. You just have to be smart about what you do because no matter how much you rant over this, it will not change your situation. Consider getting a beater to drive around in, pay liability, and stay low and out of trouble for a couple of years until you record is cleared.