General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Motor mounts shot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:52 AM

Motor mounts shot?

Lately when I launch the car hard, wheel hop is insane, it's like it never goes away. It increased a while back after the LSD was put in, but it's gotten progressively worse. And sometimes from a roll, I still get terrible wheelhop. Time for upgraded motor mounts?

Also, sometimes the car makes a bang/thud during the 1-2 shift (auto) it feels like the Y pipe is hitting the frame of the car. Is that symptom of the motor mounts going?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Motor mounts shot?

Originally posted by Shadow
Lately when I launch the car hard, wheel hop is insane, it's like it never goes away. It increased a while back after the LSD was put in, but it's gotten progressively worse. And sometimes from a roll, I still get terrible wheelhop. Time for upgraded motor mounts?

Also, sometimes the car makes a bang/thud during the 1-2 shift (auto) it feels like the Y pipe is hitting the frame of the car. Is that symptom of the motor mounts going?
I know I got crazy wheelhop when I had worn tires in the front. Replacing them helped a lot.. Getting the polyurethane mounts will definitely help the wheelhop. I'm getting the PR mounts next week along with a quaife. I know I'm gonna get crazy wheel vibration but hopefully it won't be that bad.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Motor mounts shot?

i get crazy wheel hop in my 1-2 shift as well.. but also the 2-D shift, now i am no mechanic but it may just be the funny suspension i have
Old 02-21-2003, 08:33 AM

Re: Re: Motor mounts shot?

The tires are pretty new. It was doing this before and after i got new tires.

Let me know how bad the PR mounts are. I think they make them for 4th gen autos now. My car is loud and uncomfortable anyways, so what's a little more vibration.

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I know I got crazy wheelhop when I had worn tires in the front. Replacing them helped a lot.. Getting the polyurethane mounts will definitely help the wheelhop. I'm getting the PR mounts next week along with a quaife. I know I'm gonna get crazy wheel vibration but hopefully it won't be that bad.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Ramius83

First of all, the front and rear engine mounts are the same for the auto and manual cars. I know because my car was an automatic, now it is a 5-speed. When I was doing the swap, I put in 5-speed Place Racing manual engine mounts. The ONLY mount that is different between the auto and manual cars is the actual tranny mount, not the engine mounts. So, if you were to buy the PR engine mounts, just spend the 30 dollars less and get the 5-speed ones. BTW, they are a PUTA to put on.....

Old 02-21-2003, 09:34 AM

Well, that's good to know. Especially since I'm leaning heavily towards a 5 spd. swap.

Originally posted by Ramius83
First of all, the front and rear engine mounts are the same for the auto and manual cars. I know because my car was an automatic, now it is a 5-speed. When I was doing the swap, I put in 5-speed Place Racing manual engine mounts. The ONLY mount that is different between the auto and manual cars is the actual tranny mount, not the engine mounts. So, if you were to buy the PR engine mounts, just spend the 30 dollars less and get the 5-speed ones. BTW, they are a PUTA to put on.....
Old 02-21-2003, 10:04 AM

Not entirely true... the auto the front motor mount under the radiator has an electronic thingy to cushion vibration where the M/T one is just a blob of rubber with some liquid in them with no electronic control.

But you have proven them to be interchangeable
Old 02-21-2003, 10:13 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

That must have been an option, or only available on certain models, because my 97gxe auto did NOT have electronic motor mounts...

Originally posted by ericdwong

Not entirely true... the auto the front motor mount under the radiator has an electronic thingy to cushion vibration where the M/T one is just a blob of rubber with some liquid in them with no electronic control.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by mtrai760
That must have been an option, or only available on certain models, because my 97gxe auto did NOT have electronic motor mounts...

I'm pretty sure SE autos got the electronically controlled engine mounts. 5 spd. SEs have liquid filled engine mounts.

I changed out my mounts a few weeksn ago, and it's not THAT bad. I got to use an electric impact wrench though, so that helped quite a bit.
-hype
Old 02-21-2003, 10:38 AM

what about the motor mounts from an i30? i remember reading somewhere that the motor mounts are "softer" or something like that which doesnt yield much wheel hop. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong
Old 02-21-2003, 10:42 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

You are wrong. A softer motor mount would mean more engine movement= more wheel hop...

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
what about the motor mounts from an i30? i remember reading somewhere that the motor mounts are "softer" or something like that which doesnt yield much wheel hop. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong
Old 02-21-2003, 10:43 AM

Softer would mean more wheelhop, but less vibration to the passenger compartment. That's why everyone is going to polyurethane; because it's harder than rubber.

I also doubt Nissan would spend the extra money to make different mounts.
-hype
Old 02-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Ramius83

Originally posted by ericdwong

That is weird. I didn't have that "option" on my 96 GXE. I think it must be for either, or both, the SE and GLE....

Old 02-21-2003, 12:18 PM

They're the same, when I returned my car to stock the trader took his mounts out of a I30 and they're exactly the same.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:40 PM

That is weird. I didn't have that "option" on my 96 GXE. I think it must be for either, or both, the SE and GLE....
You're right, it was only on GLEs and SEs.