General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Interesting Story-Cd vs. U.S. car pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 11:20 AM

Interesting Story-Cd vs. U.S. car pricing

Someone has filed a class action lawsuit against
auto mfgrs. Ever wonder why Canadian car $ are so much less than Amrican Prices ?
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/05...it_says+.shtml
Old 02-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Cheesing away...

Interesting.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:41 PM

I'm not so sure... If you look online you'll see our prices are about 50% more expensive in cdn dollars than american dollar prices which is almost excatly what the exchange is for us at the moment... check out mazda.ca vs. mazdausa.com for example... I would have used Nissan but the www.nissan.com site seems to be getting sued or something??!?!

Phoenix1911
Old 02-21-2003, 01:07 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Phoenix1911
I'm not so sure... If you look online you'll see our prices are about 50% more expensive in cdn dollars than american dollar prices which is almost excatly what the exchange is for us at the moment... check out mazda.ca vs. mazdausa.com for example... I would have used Nissan but the www.nissan.com site seems to be getting sued or something??!?!

Phoenix1911
lol that fight between nissan motor company and the computer place has been goin on for a while... i guess no one gets to use it now lol.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:57 PM
¿Hablas Español?

www.nissan.com was never a link to the car manufacturers Website.

www.nissanusa.com
Old 02-22-2003, 03:17 AM

I'm not so sure... If you look online you'll see our prices are about 50% more expensive in cdn dollars than american dollar prices which is almost excatly what the exchange is for us at the moment...
When I was shopping for a Max, I looked up the Canadian prices and converted them to US dollars and found that Canadian MSRP was LESS than US invoice price! I'm in WA state so driving up to Vancouver, BC wouldn't be out of the question (about 3 hours each way). I called a Canadian dealer and asked them about the gotchas.

I'd need to get the speedo, odometer and trip computer changed to English units (instead of metric) unless I wanted it all in metric. Also, for warranty work, I'd have to pay for my own warranty repairs at US dealers and then file a claim w/Nissan myself each time. In the end, I felt it wasn't worth the trouble.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:18 AM

vehicles are priced according to what the market will bear.
Americans pay less taxes and have a higher income than the Canadians (on average).
I doubt this lawsuit will get anywhere but it'll be fun to keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:20 PM

Phoenix1911
you can find the canadian site a www.nissancanada.com but also try converting the US price to Canadian, If US and Canada was dollar for Dollar (like it was in the early 70's not that I was old enough to remember) I would have gotten the G35 coupe instead of getting a 2nd hand Max especially since that the cars there are like 10 G's less (estimate +5G's for every 10G's, ie: a 10G US car will go for 15G cdn) not that im complaining, .... just my 2 cents
Old 02-23-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by maxmobile

you can find the canadian site a www.nissancanada.com but also try converting the US price to Canadian, If US and Canada was dollar for Dollar (like it was in the early 70's not that I was old enough to remember) I would have gotten the G35 coupe instead of getting a 2nd hand Max especially since that the cars there are like 10 G's less (estimate +5G's for every 10G's, ie: a 10G US car will go for 15G cdn) not that im complaining, .... just my 2 cents
Exactly.... With the conversion its the same for us (Canadians)... However we also have to pay 15% tax (Ontario prov) on top of whatever price the car is going for... I'm not so sure your right about the warranty, Nissan of North America honours warranty work whether the car was bought in the US or Canada. If you bought an extended dealer warranty that may be different.

Phoenix1911