General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Major pot hole incident, what can be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 11:38 AM

After hitting a friggin wide and deep pot hole in good ole Boston area(that is what happen when us guys get excited about visiting a girl friend, with two other girls for a New Years Eve Party at their place), I am having some issues with my car. I did not notice the big air gap in the tire that night til the next morning, which Town Fair Tire replaced with a brand new tire in the rear for free, since I bought the road hazard. I noticed with the radio off when driving, little road bumps here and there generate alot of noise. The car still drives fine, turns fine, etc.
Now I am hearing Creaking and grinding sound like from it.
This happened to the front passenger tire on New Years Eve.
I am having it checked later today, any clues? I've been offered that it was maybe bearings, I also am afraid of expensive repairs like controller arm. I turned the wheel to the right most and left most to look inside it and it seems fine. What do you think?

Old 01-10-2001, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just a few ideas....

Perhaps the strut is shot? Try the bounce test. You hit the pothole with the front AND rear tire? If so, the rear tire was replaced but not the front? Also, perhaps the spring needs to be reseated? I've had some clanking and rattling out of mine until they put some padding or whatever in there to keep things quiet.

Jim
Old 01-10-2001, 01:49 PM

Front passenger tire only, I am sure

I was only going 30mph and not faster, since it was dark and I was looking for streets signs, etc. The damaged with the air gap was the front tire, I rememberd after that major thump, I pulled over to the right and checkd my rims out. They put the new tire in the rear, I did not want them to put the new tire with new treads in the front, since we are FWD, and they also told me they would not put the new tire in the front when they rotate it. So the rear tire is fine, but all tires and whatever will be inspected anyways. Thanks for that info. Anymore will help.