General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

300ZX Brakes on.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Langley AFB Sux

300ZX Brakes on.......

I like em. Definately a difference in braking power. I used 300ZX stock lines. The strut clip fittings are off so if anyone is doing the same either get custom SS lines or dont clip them in. At full turn the lines are tight. I just undid the clips and used zip ties.

Easy mod. I just took my time. Having machine shop hook up helped too.

Price of brake parts---- $205.00

For 92 300ZX TT Calipers (30mm Aluminun loaded too!), 300ZX Brake lines and Irotors 300ZX CD/Slotted rotors.

Of course I had to get wheels to clear...so I found a set of 94 300ZX N/A wheels with almost new tires for $300.00

so $500.00 overall.

The pads were used and seem fine but im going to get some Hawk HP's soon.

PDM racing will do custom lines I believe. I'm going to check into this as well
Old 02-25-2003, 06:41 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: 300ZX Brakes on.......

Originally posted by Aaron95SE
I like em. Definately a difference in braking power. I used 300ZX stock lines. The strut clip fittings are off so if anyone is doing the same either get custom SS lines or dont clip them in. At full turn the lines are tight. I just undid the clips and used zip ties.

Easy mod. I just took my time. Having machine shop hook up helped too.

For 92 300ZX TT Calipers (30mm Aluminun loaded too!), 300ZX Brake lines and Irotors 300ZX CD/Slotted rotors.

Of course I had to get wheels to clear...so I found a set of 94 300ZX N/A wheels with almost new tires for $300.00

so $500.00 overall.

PDM racing will do custom lines I believe. I'm going to check into this as well
Nice, do you have any pics...? do you notice improved braking performance? on a scale of 1-10 hows it feel now?
Old 02-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: 300ZX Brakes on.......

Originally posted by nupe500

Nice, do you have any pics...? do you notice improved braking performance? on a scale of 1-10 hows it feel now?
I have my cybershot here but this POS computer has no pcmcia access or slot for a memory stick. Ill post them tonite. Overall it looks like a regular 300ZX wheel/caliper combo but with cd/slotted rotors.

Although I think with the maxima there is less clearance between wheel and caliper.

Definatley much less brake fade.......if any. At first the pedal seems softer (perhaps i still have some air bubbles in the line) but you press on the pedal and you will stop in a hurry.

Maybe 7 out of 10...... Bigger rotors such and the 3000GT VR-4 mod you can do with these calipers would yeild even more stopping power but I dont want to run any larger of a wheel. SS brake lines would be better too.

Overall Im very happy with them. I got a steal of a deal on the calipers tho....$70 shipped.....with all the hardware and pads from a junkyard. Usually the calipers alone go for 200ish.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Langley AFB Sux

I just sent PDM racing (www.pdm-racing.com) an email inquiring about custom lines. Basically identical to regular maxima lines but with the flare and nut type fitting to mate up to the ZX caliper. SS lines of course. I'll send in my stock lines if that will help them.

Aaron
Old 02-25-2003, 08:12 AM

How much did you have to get machined off the radius of your rotors? I went to one machine shop and they told me they couldn't machine CD/Slotted rotors. I guess I will just have to do some searching around
Old 02-25-2003, 08:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sounds awesome aaron, can't wait to see the pictures, are you happy with the 300zx wheels though??

jason
Old 02-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
How much did you have to get machined off the radius of your rotors? I went to one machine shop and they told me they couldn't machine CD/Slotted rotors. I guess I will just have to do some searching around
3 mm
Old 02-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by thebigsadler
sounds awesome aaron, can't wait to see the pictures, are you happy with the 300zx wheels though??

jason
Yup I actually like them. I was worried at first....but they've grown on me. I really want some superlight bronze 5zigen N01's I think they are called....not sure on clearance tho ......plus dont have the cash. I want to replace the Z centercaps......I tested a buddy's SE-R caps of his 02 and they fit perfect so Ill get some of those.

I actually only paid $400.00 for the mod.....forgot I sold my RX7 wheels for $250.......$200 profit on those

Ill wipe down the wheels and snap some pics today and post them when I get home.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:39 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by optimus1

3 mm
yup 3mm

I took 4 off at first....still needed more....

Actually I could have take 2 more off too.....there is about that amount past the outside of the pad but I figured it would be fine as long the rotor cleared the caliper. Plus 2 more mm's would put me on the edge of the first set of cross drilled holes.......not good.

I have access to a machine shop and lathes tho. So that saved me money and time.

Perhaps the rotor is a bit bigger than stock 300ZX specs
Old 02-25-2003, 08:48 AM
i SeE what you did therE

bout time you posted on this...
Old 02-25-2003, 08:54 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
bout time you posted on this...
Sup Kraka!

Yup they are on. I love em so far. With your bigger wheels you definately might want to get that 3000GT VR4 conversion with them as well. These ZX rotors fill the 16" ZX weels good enough for me tho......

If you can get me someone's brackets....I might be able to get some fabricated.........probably SS bracket....cheap too

Old 02-25-2003, 09:01 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Sup Kraka!

Yup they are on. I love em so far. With your bigger wheels you definately might want to get that 3000GT VR4 conversion with them as well. These ZX rotors fill the 16" ZX weels good enough for me tho......

If you can get me someone's brackets....I might be able to get some fabricated.........probably SS bracket....cheap too

the question about the bracket.... how strong is that ss? that is the major factor...
Old 02-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

the question about the bracket.... how strong is that ss? that is the major factor...
Whats the one's made of from gregg motorsports...or whatever company does it?

I know if i can get them to cnc some it will be at least 301 1/2 hard stainless.....as thick as those as well.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:11 AM

If you have air in the system...GET IT OUT!!! You really don't want that. If you brake pedal goes to the floor moderately-slowly, you probably have air in the system. This causes you brakes to be very inefficient and makes you brakes pulse a little. If you pedal is just initial soft, then it's all good. My Brembo gran turismo kit does not have a soft initial feel at all. I'm thinking about getting this adjusted.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
If you have air in the system...GET IT OUT!!! You really don't want that. If you brake pedal goes to the floor moderately-slowly, you probably have air in the system. This causes you brakes to be very inefficient and makes you brakes pulse a little. If you pedal is just initial soft, then it's all good. My Brembo gran turismo kit does not have a soft initial feel at all. I'm thinking about getting this adjusted.
Oh it doesn't slowly go to the floor.......its a nice firm pedal for once
Old 02-25-2003, 09:47 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Aluminum Z calipers =

These brakes keep you feeling safe during abupt stop.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Banned

Re: 300ZX Brakes on.......

so $500.00 overall.

PDM racing will do custom lines I believe. I'm going to check into this as well [/B]

You'll need these when you get the Nitrious working. Or is it working? You'll have to stop by if your in the area so I can check them out.

I opted for the easy way out. Power Slot rotors, Porterfields pads and stainless lines(just under $400). Just ordered everything yesterday so I should have it installed next week. We'll have to compare setups. Plus my way I get to keep my rims. :P

Nice job...
Old 02-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Aluminum Z calipers =

These brakes keep you feeling safe during abupt stop.
Oh yeah....tested em last nite

ABS still works as well.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: 300ZX Brakes on.......

Originally posted by Jeff K

You'll need these when you get the Nitrious working. Or is it working? You'll have to stop by if your in the area so I can check them out.

I opted for the easy way out. Power Slot rotors, Porterfields pads and stainless lines(just under $400). Just ordered everything yesterday so I should have it installed next week. We'll have to compare setups. Plus my way I get to keep my rims. :P

Nice job...
Thanky Jeff! How ya been?

Yup........the nitrous is working Powerslot is some good stuff too! That should be an easy install....no brake line swapping.

I'll definately come out sometime soon. If I deploy (im on the hook now) Ill let you know and just swing by when I get back.

True........those style stock rims are sweet. I like how the ZX wheels look...16 lbs too.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: 300ZX Brakes on.......

*Great. Doing a lot of contract work and my current one is over this week so I'll be home for most of March. Have a good amount of stuff done the my ride that you'll need to check out when you have time.

Yup........the nitrous is working Powerslot is some good stuff too! That should be an easy install....no brake line swapping.

*I didn't have any luck with the Race Concept rotors. Think the Porterfields were to much for them so I'm swithing to a better rotor.

True........those style stock rims are sweet. I like how the ZX wheels look...16 lbs too.

*Lighter rims means it's a lot easier get away at a stop light or track. Still have same profile tire and you did on your factory 16?
Old 02-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yup 3mm

I took 4 off at first....still needed more....

Actually I could have take 2 more off too.....there is about that amount past the outside of the pad but I figured it would be fine as long the rotor cleared the caliper. Plus 2 more mm's would put me on the edge of the first set of cross drilled holes.......not good.

I have access to a machine shop and lathes tho. So that saved me money and time.

Perhaps the rotor is a bit bigger than stock 300ZX specs
Just wondering what type of rotors are u using? The stock 300Z? or something else. The reason I ask is because im goin to do a brake upgrade in the near future, just trying to gather more info.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: 300ZX Brakes on.......

I'll definately come out sometime soon. If I deploy (im on the hook now) Ill let you know and just swing by when I get back.

Clean your engine bay or you wont hear the end of it

hi jeff.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:43 AM

The Vr4 rotors will fit under the NA Z rims..
Old 02-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: Re: Re: 300ZX Brakes on.......

*Great. Doing a lot of contract work and my current one is over this week so I'll be home for most of March. Have a good amount of stuff done the my ride that you'll need to check out when you have time.

*I didn't have any luck with the Race Concept rotors. Think the Porterfields were to much for them so I'm swithing to a better rotor.

*Lighter rims means it's a lot easier get away at a stop light or track. Still have same profile tire and you did on your factory 16?
Sweet I'll definately have to check your max out and its new mods!

I have stock nissan pads now....going for Hawks I think....dusty as hell but oh well.

Yup......the spin up real easy now LOL. Yes... 225/50/16 Pilots up front and Dunlop A2's in back.....I hate mix and match tires but for 300 I couldnt pass it up. Heck the front Pilots are around 280 a pair! Pilot XGT V4's great all around Hi-Performance...does good in the snow too.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by HitManSE

Just wondering what type of rotors are u using? The stock 300Z? or something else. The reason I ask is because im goin to do a brake upgrade in the near future, just trying to gather more info.
I got 300ZX TT Rotors (30mm CD/Slotted) from Irotors.com

149 from the site but they had an auction going on eBay for 120
Old 02-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: Re: Re: 300ZX Brakes on.......

Originally posted by Stillnmax

Clean your engine bay or you wont hear the end of it

hi jeff.
LOL
Old 02-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Maximamike
The Vr4 rotors will fit under the NA Z rims..
Even with the adapter bracket? I might have 1 inch from the caliper to the inside diameter of the wheel
Old 02-25-2003, 12:07 PM

so tell me...

How did you end up getting the whole package for 205? If you bought rotors for 120 and irotors charges 25 to ship, and brake lines are 5 or so (for non-stainless lines), that means you got the 30mm loaded aluminum calipers for only 55? Where did you find a deal that good?
Old 02-25-2003, 12:14 PM

so besides the clip fitting the stock 300zx brake lines will work???????

thanks frank
Old 02-25-2003, 12:15 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
so tell me...

How did you end up getting the whole package for 205? If you bought rotors for 120 and irotors charges 25 to ship, and brake lines are 5 or so (for non-stainless lines), that means you got the 30mm loaded aluminum calipers for only 55? Where did you find a deal that good?

Overall Im very happy with them. I got a steal of a deal on the calipers tho....$70 shipped.....with all the hardware and pads from a junkyard. Usually the calipers alone go for 200ish.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by jdmmax
so besides the clip fitting the stock 300zx brake lines will work???????

thanks frank
Yup Id say you must use these since the fitting to the caliper is correct, more fluid flow to the pistons
Old 02-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Here one pic......damn batteries died

Old 02-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Banned

Looks real good. To bad your not running 17's because I just took Michelin Pilots off my wife's car and there sitting on my balcony. Oh well...

StillnMax...
It's been a while. Still enjoying that carbon fiber hood painted white? Better have that engine cleaned before I see you again...or else.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:34 PM

Even with the adapter bracket? I might have 1 inch from the caliper to the inside diameter of the wheel
Yup, the Vr4 kit was made to work with the stock Z wheels..
Old 02-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Hmmmmmm I'll remember that when these new rotors are trashed

More pics....

Old 02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Looks real good. To bad your not running 17's because I just took Michelin Pilots off my wife's car and there sitting on my balcony. Oh well...

StillnMax...
It's been a while. Still enjoying that carbon fiber hood painted white? Better have that engine cleaned before I see you again...or else.
Ah bummer! Hows the 6speed doin?
Old 02-26-2003, 09:24 AM

+spacers
Old 02-26-2003, 10:08 AM

Don't forget to start looking in your review mirror more often for tail gaters and if you know your'e about to brake hard. (Especially if you go with the HP+ pads.) People don't expect you to stop that fast (especially that initial bite).
Old 02-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Axel
Don't forget to start looking in your review mirror more often for tail gaters and if you know your'e about to brake hard. (Especially if you go with the HP+ pads.) People don't expect you to stop that fast (especially that initial bite).
True....not sure what brand of pads were on the calipers but they were practically brand new so i used them. These seem to bite pretty good..............with the old brakes i used to have to get on the pedal pretty good to stop quickly ...............not now
Old 02-26-2003, 02:30 PM

yup, enjoying it , engine bay is semi clean

Quick Reply: 300ZX Brakes on.......