General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What is the biggest K&N filter that will fit in the fenderwell? (for CAI)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What is the biggest K&N filter that will fit in the fenderwell? (for CAI)

The Place Racing came with K&N filter part # RU-2820 according to some other threads I have seen. Does the Warpspeed CAI come with the same one? I know any 3" inlet filter will fit on the pipe, but what is the biggest filter that will fit in the fenderwell without modification? A part # would be great. I am not sure if 4th and 5th gens are the same so I stuck this here.

I have searched and this has been asked several times but never seems to get an answer. It has never been asked directily in the OP though so hopefully we can get an answer this time.

EDIT - And could we please leave all discussion of what brand of filter is best or what type of intake is best out of this thread. This thread should just provide information for people who have a CAI and decided they would like to put a K&N filter on it. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:02 PM

buy the K&N filter part # RU-2820 as you listed above.

and why would you want a larger filter in there?? mine rubs a lil as is!

Ant
Old 03-06-2003, 03:23 PM

The one that comes with the PR CAI is plenty big. I don't think you will be able to squeeze a bigger diameter cone filter in there.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The one that comes with the PR CAI is as big as they get. If you find one as big and has an open end. That might be even better, but I haven't able to find one.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
The one that comes with the PR CAI is as big as they get. If you find one as big and has an open end. That might be even better, but I haven't able to find one.
i've seen filters with open ends that could fit down there...cmax95gxe and skeelo34 have ones that may fit in there but i dont think their meant for that. a lot of people are worried about water getting in them in the first place, with an open top, it might make access even easier...
Old 03-07-2003, 12:26 AM

Im shure I can even fit a pop charger in there. When I had CAI I elongated teh hole into an oval so that the lower pipe can move to make more room for any filter I chose which Ive used monsterflow, various K&Ns and also open top universal ones etc..
Old 03-07-2003, 08:38 AM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Originally posted by Nismo
Im shure I can even fit a pop charger in there. When I had CAI I elongated teh hole into an oval so that the lower pipe can move to make more room for any filter I chose which Ive used monsterflow, various K&Ns and also open top universal ones etc..
I've tried it. It doesn't work well because of the larger filter diameter. It causes a protrusion which rubs against the tire on right turns.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by 2K2DEMAX

I've tried it. It doesn't work well because of the larger filter diameter. It causes a protrusion which rubs against the tire on right turns.
I didn't have any problems. Place racing used to make a kit for this exact application, people who already had a Pop intake. You have to make sure the hole is cut correctly.

http://www.users.voicenet.com/~breaux/car/cai/cai.html
Old 03-07-2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by breaux124

I didn't have any problems. Place racing used to make a kit for this exact application, people who already had a Pop intake. You have to make sure the hole is cut correctly.

I think mine was cut correctly, thank you. Maybe there is a difference with a 5th Gen perhaps? Or maybe because I'm lowered (tire is much closer to the fenderwell's splash guard)?
Old 03-07-2003, 07:01 PM

I think mine was cut correctly, thank you. Maybe there is a difference with a 5th Gen perhaps? Or maybe because I'm lowered (tire is much closer to the fenderwell's splash guard)?
5th gen,maybe that could be it. I know for shure that theres no problems with using a pop charger, adjusting the lower pipe angle and if you must, elongate the hole like I said above will fix the clearance problems.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:48 AM

Possible that the 5th gen's fender well is slightly different. My filter did push the plastic of the wheel well out a little, but I've never had any rubbing problems. I'm lowered with B&Gs, so I don't see a problem there either.

Did it rub alot, or just barely?
Old 03-08-2003, 10:26 AM

Possible that the 5th gen's fender well is slightly different. My filter did push the plastic of the wheel well out a little, but I've never had any rubbing problems. I'm lowered with B&Gs, so I don't see a problem there either.

Did it rub alot, or just barely?
It only rubbed when I made sharp right turns. I left it in for a while but it eventually eroded the plastic and started to rub away the rubber on the filter itself.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:02 AM

It only rubbed when I made sharp right turns. I left it in for a while but it eventually eroded the plastic and started to rub away the rubber on the filter itself.
Could be just a matter of an inch then. My tire would come close if I completely turned my wheel, but I had a little bit of room left.

I don't have the filter in the fender anymore anyway though. I noticed in Autocross I seemed to have better throttle response with the filter as a POP charger, so I've kept it there.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:40 PM

Here is the MAF adapter I am using on my short ram setup, it is shaped like a funnel and I assume it works like a velocity stack.

Will the kit to put a pop charger on the CAI work with my MAF adapter? Do they still make this kit or does anyone know where I can get one? The K&N filter I have now is about the same size as the ru-2820 but it has a 3 7/8" inlet to fit the MAF adapter I have.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Anachronism

Here is the MAF adapter I am using on my short ram setup, it is shaped like a funnel and I assume it works like a velocity stack.

Will the kit to put a pop charger on the CAI work with my MAF adapter? Do they still make this kit or does anyone know where I can get one? The K&N filter I have now is about the same size as the ru-2820 but it has a 3 7/8" inlet to fit the MAF adapter I have.
It should, because the mounting holes for my velocity stack are spaced to fit the MAF. So the lower intake piece just has holes drilled for the velocity stack

I'll try to take pics this weekend so you can see.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:39 AM

to put the velicity stack on the end of a CAI you will need another MAF adapter at the end of the velocity stack and also another rubber connector and clamps to connect it to the CAI.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
to put the velicity stack on the end of a CAI you will need another MAF adapter at the end of the velocity stack and also another rubber connector and clamps to connect it to the CAI.
That was my first thought, but won't that make the tube to long or make the filter stick to far into the fenderwell? I have never installed a CAI so I really don't know what I am dealing with for space. If just buying another MAF adapter will work then I will do that. I will probably buy two because the one that came with my bomz CAI is plastic and I would rather have metal. Otherwise the Bomz CAI looks fine.

Edit - assuming the MAF adapter thing will work, Are the third gen MAF adapters the same as the fourth Gen? I found this one on ebay but it says it is for 87-94 Maximas. I have seen other intake adapers listed as for 89-99 though , so I would guess that third and fourth gen are the same.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:24 AM
Conecarver

9" K&N ?

I don't have mine open right now but isn't there alot of vertical room left with the RU-2820? Assuming the lower tube is very high, could you squeeze a 9" long filter in there like this?
http://store.summitracing.com/global...-rc-2530_m.jpg
Ok, you're dangerously close to the ground but an AEM bypass would solve the H20 prob. (And no I don't know if 9" is better than 6" )