General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Coil pack resistance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 06:48 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Coil pack resistance?

I know you check the middle termanial and the right most termanial.. and if you get 0 ohms that is bad.... BUT what should you see... prpmax has my FSM and the search function is disabled..

so any help would be great thanks
Old 03-09-2003, 11:38 PM

Re: Coil pack resistance?

Originally posted by bags533
I know you check the middle termanial and the right most termanial.. and if you get 0 ohms that is bad.... BUT what should you see... prpmax has my FSM and the search function is disabled..

so any help would be great thanks
I got something "32" on all 6 of mine. I can't remember the scale I used, but I want to say it was 0.32. My car runs fine, so I guess that would be good numbers for all 6. Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 03-10-2003, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Coil pack resistance?

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

I got something "32" on all 6 of mine. I can't remember the scale I used, but I want to say it was 0.32. My car runs fine, so I guess that would be good numbers for all 6. Hope this helps.

Dave
This is not a bad idea. Presumeably most of your coil packs are good. Measure them all and see what most of them are getting, and that's your number.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Kirk,

Measure the inductance instead:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ure+inductance
Old 03-10-2003, 03:32 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Kirk,

Measure the inductance instead:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ure+inductance
Checked that bill and let me just say I have little idea about inductance.

I do have a good knowledge of wiring, ALL wiring. Coils and transistors and things of that nature I have ZERO hands on experience. I did measure the 3 front ones with a GOOD ohm meter and got 1.4 K ohms on 2 and 1.6 K ohms on one. Reset ecu and no check engine light.

I am sure it will come back. I need to check the back 3. It has been posts of memebers from this website that told me resistance measuring was a good way to tell. I will look in a copy of the FSM sprint showed me last night to see what I can see.

Thanks for the info and link. I will be looking into this.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by bags533

Checked that bill and let me just say I have little idea about inductance.

I do have a good knowledge of wiring, ALL wiring. Coils and transistors and things of that nature I have ZERO hands on experience. I did measure the 3 front ones with a GOOD ohm meter and got 1.4 K ohms on 2 and 1.6 K ohms on one. Reset ecu and no check engine light.

I am sure it will come back. I need to check the back 3. It has been posts of memebers from this website that told me resistance measuring was a good way to tell. I will look in a copy of the FSM sprint showed me last night to see what I can see.

Thanks for the info and link. I will be looking into this.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=hanshin

Keep in mind that humidity (i.e. moisture) will usually have more of an adverse effect and cause the light to come back quicker.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:50 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by bill99gxe

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=hanshin

Keep in mind that humidity (i.e. moisture) will usually have more of an adverse effect and cause the light to come back quicker.

Yeah... hmm..

checked all 6 this morning the biggest gap is 500 ohms.. they all read 1.2 K - 1.6 K ohms

NOW I did check the condenser and the FSM say 1 Mega ohm at 77 degress. It was about 45 here this morning.. I got a wide OPEN. It started at 4 Megs ohms and slowly climbed to an open

I am going to get back in there and move the wires around and see if it is a bad wire. Also waiting on the weather to warm up closer to 77 degress.

Anyway updating as I go. Thanks for the help bill.. I am trying to slowly understand.

And the FSM says coil pack have ANY resistance, they are good. If they have ZERO they are bad.

I thought it would be a little better than that, but maybe these things only go bad one way

thanks again bill... BTW your not appearing evil.. say something mean
Old 03-11-2003, 06:52 AM

kirk i hate you