General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

update on my car for those who care....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 02:21 PM

update on my car for those who care....

last thread: college park MD exxon charge me 510$ to change a starter.

ok, so those bastards at the EXXOn, gave me a "electric test" which tests the starter, radiator and some other crap and they charged me 41$ for it!!! WTF is a electric test!!!, they told me they cant do a diagnostic test because the car wouldnt start, wtf? my car can be turned on, it just doesnt run because the starter is dead.

so then i towed my car to pepboys and they changed the starter for 315$ including towing fee($60). however, my check engine light is still on. do they have to turn it off manually? or does the car turn the check engine light off automatically when the car is fixed?

oh in addition, how do i get the cd outta my bose cd player? its stuck in there.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

reset your ecu and clear the code, you should be all set after that.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:34 PM

Re: update on my car for those who care....

Originally posted by LucentAUTO

ok, so those bastards at the EXXOn, gave me a "electric test" which tests the starter, radiator and some other crap and they charged me 41$ for it!!! WTF is a electric test!!!, they told me they cant do a diagnostic test because the car wouldnt start, wtf? my car can be turned on, it just doesnt run because the starter is dead.

so then i towed my car to pepboys and they changed the starter for 315$ including towing fee($60). however, my check engine light is still on. do they have to turn it off manually? or does the car turn the check engine light off automatically when the car is fixed?
they are ripping you man.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:44 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by LucentAUTO

oh in addition, how do i get the cd outta my bose cd player? its stuck in there.
Not helpful : You got jobbed by both EXXON and PepBoys.
Helpful : CD REMOVAL INFO

I also had an Alpine CD player that would get jammed periodically. I had to cycle the eject sequence by pressing the button again withing a running eject. As it got worse I'd have to do this up to 10 times. If you're mechanism isn't even trying to eject then this might not help. If it's spinning and not ejecting, give it a shot.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Disconnect battery for a few hours. That should clear the code. If your car still has the problem, it will light up again.

I had to use a butter knife to access the CD manual ejection button or whatever it's called. It was an old CD player. Have no idea if newer ones have this also. It's for getting CDs out in case it has no power. This was a CD changer though.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You have just bent over and took it in the tailpipe! You got so ripped off!
Old 03-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well you might have paid more than you could of by doing it yourself...but... this info will help someone else out who needs a new starter.

As far as the CEL....I did not get one when my starter died. May want to pull the codes as it sounds like something else is going on.

D