General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

OMFG ANOTHER STRIPPED BOLT... except its lug nut!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 04:20 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

OMFG ANOTHER STRIPPED BOLT... except its lug nut!!!!

OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!! i stripped a lug nut!! how do i take this **** out??
Old 03-21-2003, 04:29 PM

Re: OMFG ANOTHER STRIPPED BOLT... except its lug nut!!!!

How do you do this man??????? Wow i have to admit i'm immpresed. Can't give you much help tho.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:38 PM

Re: OMFG ANOTHER STRIPPED BOLT... except its lug nut!!!!

Originally posted by nadir_s
OMFG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!! i stripped a lug nut!! how do i take this **** out??

You need a new tool set. ALL hex deep socket craftsman or snap-on stuff.

The bolt-out set with a 21mm socket should work on your lug nuts.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

hahah!!!! PENETRATING OIL BABY LOL

omg, i sprayed some of that crap on, then came up here made the post... then went back downstairs all sad and ****ed... so I decided to put all bolts on and just put the socket into taht stripped nut and began to take it off to test how much of it was stripped... it started to come off easy and at first i was like "damn, i stripped this ***** so bad..." then!! low and behold, the ***** fell off!! yay!! now time to go find me a new lug nut.

Can I ride w/ 4/5 lugs on? I searched and found it was ok for temporary use. lemme know!
Old 03-21-2003, 05:53 PM

The way I would take it off is go to Sears and buy one of those kits to remove stipped nuts and bolts. Second, If you need a standard OEM lugnut, I have 4 of them from a 99.5 SE-L that I'd like to get rid of cheap, email me if your interested. Chris
Old 03-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Administrator

hahah!!!! PENETRATING OIL BABY LOL

omg, i sprayed some of that crap on, then came up here made the post... then went back downstairs all sad and ****ed... so I decided to put all bolts on and just put the socket into taht stripped nut and began to take it off to test how much of it was stripped... it started to come off easy and at first i was like "damn, i stripped this ***** so bad..." then!! low and behold, the ***** fell off!! yay!! now time to go find me a new lug nut.

Can I ride w/ 4/5 lugs on? I searched and found it was ok for temporary use. lemme know!
I am riding on 4 on the right front.. and 4 on the left rear
Old 03-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

impact wrench to remove lugnut if needed

remove the wheel and all brake assembly

rotate the hub so the stripped bolt if lined up with the cutout behind the hub

with directed force, hammer the lugbolt out thru the hole

lightly lube the shoulder of the new lugbolt and hammer back in from the reverse

slip on several 1/8 " washers and torque open end wheel nut to about 100 ft/lbs

remove wheel nut and washers and re-istall brakes, wheel and torque lugnut to specs
Old 03-21-2003, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by WizzaMax
impact wrench to remove lugnut if needed

remove the wheel and all brake assembly

rotate the hub so the stripped bolt if lined up with the cutout behind the hub

with directed force, hammer the lugbolt out thru the hole

lightly lube the shoulder of the new lugbolt and hammer back in from the reverse

slip on several 1/8 " washers and torque open end wheel nut to about 100 ft/lbs

remove wheel nut and washers and re-istall brakes, wheel and torque lugnut to specs
how do you strip a bolt.. (lug nut)
Old 03-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by ZeRo MaX

how do you strip a bolt.. (lug nut)
Cross-thread it. Usually happens with someone using an impact wrench on the lug nuts. If anyone strips one by tightening it with a socket wrench, or the wrench from the tire change kit then they are numb nuts.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by foodmanry
Cross-thread it. Usually happens with someone using an impact wrench on the lug nuts. If anyone strips one by tightening it with a socket wrench, or the wrench from the tire change kit then they are numb nuts.
That is how you strip the wheel stud threads. If you strip the lug nuts (the outside portion), I would question the tools you are using. Either the socket you are using is the wrong size or do not provide enough coverage over the lug nut.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dude... you REALLY need a torque wrench!
Old 03-22-2003, 10:36 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

penetrating oil saved my *** lol... it loosened it like hell and the lug nut just slipped off.

I was using a torque wrench, but the nut already looked sorta stripped. As for the first bolt (strut nut), that's still on there stripped... I dunno how to take it off! blah, can't even install a simple mod like FSTB
Old 03-22-2003, 10:44 AM

penetrating oil saved my *** lol... it loosened it like hell and the lug nut just slipped off.

I was using a torque wrench, but the nut already looked sorta stripped. As for the first bolt (strut nut), that's still on there stripped... I dunno how to take it off! blah, can't even install a simple mod like FSTB
get the new lug nut from the dealer and take your car to local mechanic have them loosen the nut.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:48 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by funmax

get the new lug nut from the dealer and take your car to local mechanic have them loosen the nut.
yeah, how much do lugs usually run about? I wanted to get a couple... some of the nuts have taken a toll over the years.

I went out and bought a star to remove the lug nuts properly... the stock L shaped wrench wasn't working lol.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:19 PM

yeah, how much do lugs usually run about? I wanted to get a couple... some of the nuts have taken a toll over the years.

I went out and bought a star to remove the lug nuts properly... the stock L shaped wrench wasn't working lol.
How much do lug nuts usually run? A few cents per lug nut (some will charge you a very high 50 cents/per which I find find outrageous! )
Old 03-22-2003, 01:25 PM

I would have got a tool bit that was alittle bigger then 13/16 and then put it ontop of the bolt and hammer then twist the thing off, iv had to use this method a couple of times, but never on my lugs.