General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Clutch pedal holding too much pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Clutch pedal holding too much pressure

Since I got the coversion done I have noticed that everyonce in a while I have to get out of the car and crack the top valve to let pressure off of the line, because the pedal has built up to much pressure and makes the pedal very very stiff and also when you put shift into 2nd and get on it , the clutch seems to slip because of this built up pressure. After I crack the line though, everything is normal, no slippage or anything. I have been told that it is the pedal adjustments, but I have been playing with the adjustments for 2 weeks now. Any advice?
Old 03-29-2003, 02:47 PM

Re: Clutch pedal holding too much pressure

ttt
Old 03-29-2003, 11:26 PM

Re: Re: Clutch pedal holding too much pressure

Old 03-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

yea i believe it has to do with your pedal adjustment because i had this prob before and i know other people that have had it as well.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
yea i believe it has to do with your pedal adjustment because i had this prob before and i know other people that have had it as well.
what was the solution? I read on HLH0501's site saying theres some washers that bolt to the master cyl. was that it?
Old 03-30-2003, 10:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Clutch pedal holding too much pressure

Originally posted by 96shogunmax
yup... The factory set-up has a big spacer between the firewall and the pedal.. If you did not oul some sorta spacer back then your cylinder is adjusted totally wrong.. and when you let off the pedal the plunger part of the cylinder is not returning back far enough to allow the fluid to move back properly.. You need to lay on your floor and adjust the plunger by turning the little bar that attached to your pedal.. you will need to screw it so that the bar travels toward the rear of your car (i think in screw it in)...
Old 03-30-2003, 04:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clutch pedal holding too much pressure

Originally posted by cbr2
yup... The factory set-up has a big spacer between the firewall and the pedal.. If you did not oul some sorta spacer back then your cylinder is adjusted totally wrong.. and when you let off the pedal the plunger part of the cylinder is not returning back far enough to allow the fluid to move back properly.. You need to lay on your floor and adjust the plunger by turning the little bar that attached to your pedal.. you will need to screw it so that the bar travels toward the rear of your car (i think in screw it in)...

Already did this. I bled the clutch again today. So far so good.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Banned

Since I got the coversion done I have noticed that everyonce in a while I have to get out of the car and crack the top valve to let pressure off of the line, because the pedal has built up to much pressure and makes the pedal very very stiff and also when you put shift into 2nd and get on it , the clutch seems to slip because of this built up pressure. After I crack the line though, everything is normal, no slippage or anything. I have been told that it is the pedal adjustments, but I have been playing with the adjustments for 2 weeks now. Any advice?
I had the same problem when I had my ACT clutch installed and I got rid of it by replacing my Clutch master cylinder. Havent had any probs for 3 weeks now. Before I would only be able to drive 10 minutes or so in stop and go traffic before I had to relieve the pressure again.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by matt calder

I had the same problem when I had my ACT clutch installed and I got rid of it by replacing my Clutch master cylinder. Havent had any probs for 3 weeks now. Before I would only be able to drive 10 minutes or so in stop and go traffic before I had to relieve the pressure again.

I have a brand new one. I installed this when I did my conversion.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:52 PM

I have a brand new one. I installed this when I did my conversion.
did you put in those spacer things between the master and firewall as mentioned above? if so what did you use? or did you buy them at the dealer? part#? I think I need them
Old 03-31-2003, 05:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clutch pedal holding too much pressure

Originally posted by Nismo

did you put in those spacer things between the master and firewall as mentioned above? if so what did you use? or did you buy them at the dealer? part#? I think I need them

No spacer things, but there is a plate b/t them. I adjusted the rod some more today and its doing well now. Just adjust the rod from the Master cylinder to the pedal. Take it way back.(towards the rear of the car)
Old 03-31-2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clutch pedal holding too much pressure

No spacer things, but there is a plate b/t them. I adjusted the rod some more today and its doing well now. Just adjust the rod from the Master cylinder to the pedal. Take it way back.(towards the rear of the car)
ok I see what you mean. wonder what the spacers are really for then if you didnt need them.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Originally posted by matt calder

you wasted your money on a clutch master cylinder Matt!!! your prob went away cause you changed the adjustment when you put in the new master while you coulda saved yourself alot of time and money if you juss did the adjustment. hehehe
Old 04-01-2003, 11:41 AM

you wasted your money on a clutch master cylinder Matt!!! your prob went away cause you changed the adjustment when you put in the new master while you coulda saved yourself alot of time and money if you juss did the adjustment. hehehe

Old 04-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Banned

Well I didnt buy a new one, actually bought a used one off of here. Its kinda ironic how this came up after I swapped them. Oh well you live and learn.

Old 04-01-2003, 11:04 PM

Im going to a manual transmission shop tomorrow to get this fixed.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:37 PM

Im going to a manual transmission shop tomorrow to get this fixed.
Didnt go, fixed it myself. Problem solved.