General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ground Control Coilover Question (Strut Bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 07:04 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ground Control Coilover Question (Strut Bearing)

What (if anything) do you guys with GC's do about the strut bearing when lowering the car off a jack/stands?

Because the assembly is so short, there's a good bit of space between the bearing and body of the car until its back on the ground. If the bearing isn't lined up happy, it won't go into place properly until you drive a bit and it pops back in there.

I've considered using grease to stick it to the body, but don't know if that's a great idea.

Because of this I've ruined both of my bearings and need to replace them, and would rather not do this once a year if I can help it.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:51 AM

Re: Ground Control Coilover Question (Strut Bearing)

Originally posted by ejj
What (if anything) do you guys with GC's do about the strut bearing when lowering the car off a jack/stands?

Because the assembly is so short, there's a good bit of space between the bearing and body of the car until its back on the ground. If the bearing isn't lined up happy, it won't go into place properly until you drive a bit and it pops back in there.

I've considered using grease to stick it to the body, but don't know if that's a great idea.

Because of this I've ruined both of my bearings and need to replace them, and would rather not do this once a year if I can help it.
I've done the grease trick. I think I've done it the same as you, put grease on the bearing and let that hold it in place in the upper seat, while you lower the car. That is the best way I've found, but I have replaced it more than once prior to trying this. What problems have you had with doing this?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:53 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Ground Control Coilover Question (Strut Bearing)

Originally posted by MadMax95

I've done the grease trick. I think I've done it the same as you, put grease on the bearing and let that hold it in place in the upper seat, while you lower the car. That is the best way I've found, but I have replaced it more than once prior to trying this. What problems have you had with doing this?
Problem replacing the bearing? None. Just a PITA I'd like to eliminate if I could.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Ground Control Coilover Question (Strut Bearing)

Originally posted by ejj

Problem replacing the bearing? None. Just a PITA I'd like to eliminate if I could.
The grease trick works. I know what you mean about replacing the bearings. Everytime you have to replace them, you need an alignment. Another reason for them being a pita...

By using the grease it's sure to stay there and sit right when you lower the car. The last time I replaced one, the old one was a mangled mess from not sitting right, basically flattened it.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:25 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ground Control Coilover Question (Strut Bearing)

By using the grease it's sure to stay there and sit right when you lower the car. The last time I replaced one, the old one was a mangled mess from not sitting right, basically flattened it.
I suppose I was hoping for a neater, nicer solution. I guess it will do.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ground Control Coilover Question (Strut Bearing)

Originally posted by ejj

I suppose I was hoping for a neater, nicer solution. I guess it will do.
Sorry, I don't know of one, unless you have that aluminum "top hat" milled so the bearing sits on there more firmly. That is part of the problem...
Old 04-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Banned

I have replaced 4 of those now. The ones I am riding on now are messed up too. They have been messed up for awhile now and I havent really had any problems, just a little squeaky noise every once in awhile.

I thought about gluing it to the mounting plate thingie instead of sitting on the coilover but dont know if that would work.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:33 AM
ejj

Originally posted by matt calder
I thought about gluing it to the mounting plate thingie instead of sitting on the coilover but dont know if that would work.
I would think that would prevent them from functioning as designed.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by ejj

I would think that would prevent them from functioning as designed.
If you look at the bearing itself, there are two plastic pieces with grease inbetween, that slide separate of one another. You could glue one side the bearing to the mounting plate...

Should still work as designed...
Old 04-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Banned

If you look at the bearing itself, there are two plastic pieces with grease inbetween, that slide separate of one another. You could glue one side the bearing to the mounting plate...

Should still work as designed...
exactly, because the way it is now, that little raised ring around the circle always get torn up.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:30 PM
SLOW

I tried supergluing mine to the bottom of the strut mount, but there was too much corrosion and it wouldnt hold. Basically I just lower it very slowly with my hand in there holding it in place as best I can and try to feel that it's being lined up straight. I end up replacing them every year. Going to the track every week and jacking the front up all the time takes its toll. They are torn up right now and squeaking a little.