General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Had my first day of fun with the ACT

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 02:25 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Had my first day of fun with the ACT

Well after 700 miles I decided to let her rip. I get like 3 screetch screetch screetchs from my tires on the 1-2 shift, and a little chirp into third. The tires squeel around 5-6.4k in first. I get a loud bang when I shift, it hooks into the next gear instantly with authority. Downshifting into second at 40-47mph is amazing. The tires chirp and it takes off like all hell, it's a little hard to control the car with one hand when you do that.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this clutch. I was expecting to actually spin into second, but with W-rated 245/40/18x8.5's I guess I am getting good traction.

I also had some fun with another car. An older Eagle Talon Turbo 5spd saw me and started revving next to me around 40mph. Well I downshifting into second, the tires chirped loudly and I destroyed him. I raced him about 4 times and destroyed him each time. I had a friend in the car and so did he. I gave him the headstart one one race and waved as I flew bye. I gave him the thumbs down each time I beat him. I rarely race so I got a bit cocky.

Harder/Much faster shifts, much smoother throttle response letting on/off, and faster climbing RPMs all have made getting the ACT/resurfaced fly well worth it.

For all the people who want to know, it's the ACT street disc.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Administrator

can't wait for the 1000 mile post
Old 04-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dude, your gonna break something if your drive your car in the manner you described.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX
Dude, your gonna break something if your drive your car in the manner you described.
How's that?
Old 04-05-2003, 02:38 PM
The original VQ...

You wont break your car, you might just wear out your clutch quick, the way i drive i average about 20 races a week.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Craig Mack

How's that?
You have fairly heavy wheels and wide tires, combined with a SC'er and 5 spd I wouldn't be surprised if you snapped an axle, or busted gears in your transmission.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally posted by SprintMax
can't wait for the 1000 mile post
Old 04-05-2003, 02:46 PM

You have fairly heavy wheels and wide tires, combined with a SC'er and 5 spd I wouldn't be surprised if you snapped an axle, or busted gears in your transmission.
Like I said though, I don't race much. If I drove everyday like I do today theres no doubt that my car would be a mess. 95% of the time I granny shift and just use the extra power for passing. But your right about the wide 18's and all, they do put more strain on the axles and tranny.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:54 PM
STFU n00b!

also read the threads about how many people have blown trannies with the ACT..

I have a feeling there's a pretty good connection between all the blown trannies and driving like you just described..
(and yes, I'm a victim of it too.)

the ACT grabs GREAT.. but watch out or you'll get to buy a new transmission. my last one wasn't even repairable. gears 2,3,4 and both shift forks were all shattered when it cross-shifted and stuffed it into 2nd and 4th at the same time.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

the ACT grabs GREAT.. but watch out or you'll get to buy a new transmission. my last one wasn't even repairable. gears 2,3,4 and both shift forks were all shattered when it cross-shifted and stuffed it into 2nd and 4th at the same time.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:06 PM

I have a feeling there's a pretty good connection between all the blown trannies and driving like you just described..

i know how you drive
Old 04-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Old 04-06-2003, 04:28 AM

Re: Had my first day of fun with the ACT

Downshifting into second at 40-47mph is amazing. The tires chirp and
stupid.

you will break stuff.
be careful on 3rd gear especially.

it is all fun and games with an act... until you learn the hard way
Old 04-06-2003, 03:51 PM

Re: Re: Had my first day of fun with the ACT

Originally posted by hlh0501

stupid.

you will break stuff.
be careful on 3rd gear especially.

it is all fun and games with an act... until you learn the hard way
I'm not the one who blew several engines

How else am I supposed to race someone? I didn't know occassional downshifts hurt the transmission? Second gear is stronger then third gear. Are our transmissions too weak to handle any kind of abuse?

Instead of you guys just saying how "dumb" it is, why don't you tell me your alternative thoughts.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:06 PM

Notice how everyone tells you how badass the act is and how they abuse it all the time and it never slips just to convince you to get one? then they tell you to go easy on it.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
Notice how everyone tells you how badass the act is and how they abuse it all the time and it never slips just to convince you to get one? then they tell you to go easy on it.
That's exactly what I noticed. Everyone says how great this clutch is, it's like the #1 recommended aftermarket clutch for our cars. Then when you finally get one and ask about it, they tell you how your going to ruin your car if you drive hard with one, without any explanation. Then why the hell do you buy it in the first place?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Had my first day of fun with the ACT

I'm not the one who blew several engines

I didn't know occassional downshifts hurt the transmission?

Instead of you guys just saying how "dumb" it is, why don't you tell me your alternative thoughts.
you are also not the one who can afford to replace them and have your car running w/ a new engine in 1day either are you? i knew exactly what i was doing. go ahead and abuse the heck out of the tranny as long as you can afford to replace it - I'm only on lucky #5(sounds worse than it is), finally did it right though (cross fingers knock on wood)

and the ACT is an awesome clutch - there is no debating that! but if used improperly, then you will tear stuff up. THe clutch is nice, because while IN GEAR you can floor it and the clutch wont slip when you have some serious power. at 70mph and 10psi on my turbo, my nissan-brand clutch would slip (with only 2000miles on it).. I took it out, it looked perfectly new. It just couldnt handle too much boost.

downshifting is great, and fine. its the downshifts while revd and dropping it to spin the tires. instead of that, downshift properly, rev match, do it smoothly, then once fully engaged, get on it. the people who are overjoyed by "chirping 3rd" are stupid. thats taking a big risk, and whats the point? a neon , stock, 5spd, that i know of and have driven (Sadly) can chirp 3rd all day long. I give the same response to that kind of talk as i give to people who tell me to do a big burnout. (stock) Civics can do burnouts. now, when my 245's light up at 70mph while clutch is fully engaged, not many stock civics i know of doing that.. haha

enjoy the clutch, love the clutch, but dont abuse your stuff. i know it seems like it is all good, but trust me - gears give no warning before they go. and thats just gears, other things are taking abuse too

and on a side note. I got my ACT to slip today for the first time ever but its all good - no probs since.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you better not tear up your car before i get my ride dammit!!!

eric
Old 04-06-2003, 09:12 PM

u must have an auto
Old 04-06-2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by MAXIN

u must have an auto
you must be blind if you can't read my sig.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:31 PM

Old 04-06-2003, 11:33 PM
Sports Button FTW

i'm glad u like the ACT bro...i was strongly debating between exedy and ACT but i think i'm gonna go wit ACt...i dont even see a thrill in chirping third from downshifting, maybe cause its so hard for me lol but i loved to do it when shifting from 2nd to 3rd
Old 04-07-2003, 08:19 AM

you must be blind if you can't read my sig.
nah just thought you lied or something cuz people that can drive a stick properly would know what we are trying to tell him

This is what we are telling him, pay attention now:

Originally posted by hlh0501
you are also not the one who can afford to replace them and have your car running w/ a new engine in 1day either are you? i knew exactly what i was doing. go ahead and abuse the heck out of the tranny as long as you can afford to replace it - I'm only on lucky #5(sounds worse than it is), finally did it right though (cross fingers knock on wood)

and the ACT is an awesome clutch - there is no debating that! but if used improperly, then you will tear stuff up. THe clutch is nice, because while IN GEAR you can floor it and the clutch wont slip when you have some serious power. at 70mph and 10psi on my turbo, my nissan-brand clutch would slip (with only 2000miles on it).. I took it out, it looked perfectly new. It just couldnt handle too much boost.

downshifting is great, and fine. its the downshifts while revd and dropping it to spin the tires. instead of that, downshift properly, rev match, do it smoothly, then once fully engaged, get on it. the people who are overjoyed by "chirping 3rd" are stupid. thats taking a big risk, and whats the point? a neon , stock, 5spd, that i know of and have driven (Sadly) can chirp 3rd all day long. I give the same response to that kind of talk as i give to people who tell me to do a big burnout. (stock) Civics can do burnouts. now, when my 245's light up at 70mph while clutch is fully engaged, not many stock civics i know of doing that.. haha

enjoy the clutch, love the clutch, but dont abuse your stuff. i know it seems like it is all good, but trust me - gears give no warning before they go. and thats just gears, other things are taking abuse too

and on a side note. I got my ACT to slip today for the first time ever but its all good - no probs since.
thank you drive through...
Old 04-07-2003, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by MAXIN

nah just thought you lied or something cuz people that can drive a stick properly would know what we are trying to tell him

This is what we are telling him, pay attention now:

thank you drive through...
oh it's not that i don't agree with all that. it's the fact that when someone makes a thread about what clutch to buy everyone says how "durable" or "bada$$" the ACT is and how you can abuse it all day long and then when you have it people tell you to go easy on it.

thank YOU, step through.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Disco Biscuit

I dont know of any posts where people have said that you can abuse it all day long. All the posts I've ever read about it is that it is an incredible clutch that can take alot of punishment. But noone ever said that the rest of the car could.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:57 AM

oh it's not that i don't agree with all that. it's the fact that when someone makes a thread about what clutch to buy everyone says how "durable" or "bada$$" the ACT is and how you can abuse it all day long and then when you have it people tell you to go easy on it.

thank YOU, step through.
u still dont get it...... Im done.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Whitemax
I dont know of any posts where people have said that you can abuse it all day long. All the posts I've ever read about it is that it is an incredible clutch that can take alot of punishment. But noone ever said that the rest of the car could.
exactly....

now Im done.....
Old 04-07-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Whitemax
every post i started/searhed about when i was deciding on a clutch

MAXIN: i get it you dork. do you get what I was saying??
i even agreed with you....this is pointless. im not replying to this anymore.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:35 AM

MAXIN: i get it you dork. do you get what I was saying??
i even agreed with you....this is pointless. im not replying to this anymore.
good dic, good boy...
Old 04-07-2003, 11:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

The tranny CAN take the abuse. But like most things it can't take the abuse ALL THE TIME. I wish Nissan made the axles weaker so they would break instead of the trannies.

You CAN drive hard but just don't do it all the time. Also try not to do those hard downshifts when you don't have to.

The maxima is a great car, it's just that the trannies seem to be the fragile link. As with ALL cars, there is some type of weak link. The maxima just happens to be the tranny. Subarus(wrx) have the same problem w/ tranny main shafts that are too small in diameter(not strong enough) Acura(TL/CL/Oddessy etc.) has a bunch of auto trannies that were busting. BMW m-series were having troubles with their tempermental valvetrains at high revs.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
The tranny CAN take the abuse. But like most things it can't take the abuse ALL THE TIME. I wish Nissan made the axles weaker so they would break instead of the trannies.

You CAN drive hard but just don't do it all the time. Also try not to do those hard downshifts when you don't have to.

The maxima is a great car, it's just that the trannies seem to be the fragile link. As with ALL cars, there is some type of weak link. The maxima just happens to be the tranny. Subarus(wrx) have the same problem w/ tranny main shafts that are too small in diameter(not strong enough) Acura(TL/CL/Oddessy etc.) has a bunch of auto trannies that were busting. BMW m-series were having troubles with their tempermental valvetrains at high revs.
Thanks for the feedback Jeff.

For instance, today I have driven my car ~25 miles so far (to school and back) and have not done any hard downshifting. 70% of the time I didn't even take it over 3300rpm.

It's just those "once in a while" things when I want to romp on it. For instance, impressing friends...Eric is gonna want to feel the power and downshifting will be a must.

So Jeffrey, a question for you. You say that once in a blue moon having fun with downshifts (ie d-shifting into second gear @40-45mph w/o revv matching) won't hurt anything...when you say this, do you mean:

A)It will wear down the tranny some due to the stress, but you should still see decent life from the tranny.

or

B)It won't wear anything down as long as it's not all the time. It's when you do it ALL THE TIME that you start breaking stuff. If it's once in a blue moon, then it won't wear anymore then when you drive it conservatively.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

Probably won't do anything. But then again, you got a SC and some fat tires.

If your outshaft seals aren't leaking, I'd switch to some Amsoil or Redline tranny fluid in the near future. That will help things a bit also.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
[B]Probably won't do anything. But then again, you got a SC and some fat tires.
I also noticed that when I have 3 other people in the car, it seems that the initial shock of the downshift has more impact and doesn't catch as well. When I'm alone, it hooks faster and feels lighter.

If your outshaft seals aren't leaking, I'd switch to some Amsoil or Redline tranny fluid in the near future. That will help things a bit also.
Yea, I noticed that my gearbox can get REAL notchy sometimes. Sometimes it feels like someone put thick glue in there when I try to move the shifter into gear (mostly 1st and 3rd). Do you think i'll see an improvement if I switch fluids? At the time of the conversion (~6900 miles ago) we just used the basic stuff.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Do it. I use Amsoil. Tons better than the normal stuff for feel and protection. Will cost you probably over $60 bucks to buy but it's worth it.

Yea, I noticed that my gearbox can get REAL notchy sometimes. Sometimes it feels like someone put thick glue in there when I try to move the shifter into gear (mostly 1st and 3rd). Do you think i'll see an improvement if I switch fluids? At the time of the conversion (~6900 miles ago) we just used the basic stuff.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:51 PM
living out of a maxima...

...You say that once in a blue moon having fun with downshifts (ie d-shifting into second gear @40-45mph w/o revv matching) won't hurt anything...
why not rev-match?
Old 04-08-2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by JeffesonM

why not rev-match?
I'm going to try to do that for the most part, from now on to take stress off the downshift. Does rev-matching (or shooting up the revvs a bit) decrease the acceleration? I know it won't have that initial punch.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:12 PM
living out of a maxima...

I'm no expert by any measure, but as far as I know...

Rev-matching does not decrease acceleration at all. It make take an extra 1/4 second to do it, but it will put years into your clutch and tranny. The initial "punch" you're describing is your clutch going from 2000 RPM to 5000 RPM almost instantaneously. It's also the synchros in your trans scrambling to get up to speed as you engage 2nd. Basically it's your drivetrain saying "ouch, that hurt. please rev-match me next time".
Old 04-08-2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by JeffesonM
Basically it's your drivetrain saying "ouch, that hurt. please rev-match me next time".
Old 04-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Chassis Freak

This is a very informative thread for someone like me who's going to buy a 5-speed; thanks Craig et al.

Two n00b-*** questions:

1. So what happens when an axle breaks? What if it breaks when you're going fast? Seems like it would be bad news.

2. Why do wide tires put more stress on the axle/tranny/whatever?
Old 04-10-2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Masaccio

2. Why do wide tires put more stress on the axle/tranny/whatever?
Well, a heavier/wider rim is going to require more power/force to move it, thus putting more strain on the parts. Also, my setup hooks up very well. I get little wheelspin for the amount of power I have. Wheelspin can actually relieve some of the stress put on the tranny/axles, so that immdedient hook up i'm getting isn't transferring as much stress to the wheels.

Quick Reply: Had my first day of fun with the ACT