General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Purchasing exhaust system TOMORROW (Monday) where can you get OBX Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 09:36 PM
SLOW

Purchasing exhaust system TOMORROW (Monday) where can you get OBX Catback?

I broke my exhaust, and I'm purchasing one tomorrow. I plan on getting the OBX unless someone else can recommend one of similar price AND NOT TOO LOUD. I do not want a loud exhaust. It can be loud at WOT but I do not want something that is going to drone on the highway.

So, where all can you get OBX Exhaust. I have found SouthwestAutoworks and that's it. Google searches turn up OBX racing pedals and crap like that.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Cumalittle

Re: Purchasing exhaust system TOMORROW (Monday) where can you get OBX Catback?

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I broke my exhaust, and I'm purchasing one tomorrow. I plan on getting the OBX unless someone else can recommend one of similar price AND NOT TOO LOUD. I do not want a loud exhaust. It can be loud at WOT but I do not want something that is going to drone on the highway.

So, where all can you get OBX Exhaust. I have found SouthwestAutoworks and that's it. Google searches turn up OBX racing pedals and crap like that.

Thanks
go custom...

Old 04-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Purchasing exhaust system TOMORROW (Monday) where can you get OBX Catback?

Originally posted by Cumalittle

go custom...
how much did u find the OBX catback for at autoworks?

heard the prices went up drastically but still cheaper than competitors. If i couldnt get OBX, i would go custom. You can easily get something similar and probably fit better for same price or cheaper, just throw two resonators on the b-pipe and voila.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How much are the OBX's going for now?
Old 04-07-2003, 01:51 AM

Just go with a custom 2.5in catback and a stock muffler (2k max works fine). This will keep the car quiet on the freeway and won't hurt you much power wise. You can try a warpspeed catback or B pipe, either way it is going to be loud with a Y pipe.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Send me an email or PM and I can direct you to where you can buy it.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Warpspeed has a catback? How much is it? Umm you can get the OBX one at SSAUTOCHROME . Ya try something custom maybe dual exhaust, if I had the chanc eI would go with a custom dual instead of OBX but I got the OBX for much cheaper than a dual would cost so I am happy.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:54 AM

Budget B pipe w/ a Magnaflow resonator $160
Borla muffler, tip of your choice $120-160
Have muffler shop make a rear section and install everything, so it fits perfectly $100-$150

Under $500

A nice mellow sounding exhaust, all SS, and NO DRONE (this with a Y pipe) =
Old 04-07-2003, 10:20 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Thanks
obx = 2.25 b-pipe

go with something bigger
Old 04-07-2003, 05:22 PM

Re: Re: Purchasing exhaust system TOMORROW (Monday) where can you get OBX Catback?

Originally posted by 1eyedcalibandit

obx = 2.25 b-pipe

go with something bigger
I have and all I can say is that it has really increased my top end. I used to be able only to hit like 115 on freeway now I can hit 130, so I am pretty happy.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Cheesing away...

www.obxracingsports.com is the actual company site,
Orginally posted by spanishrice
I have and all I can say is that it has really increased my top end. I used to be able only to hit like 115 on freeway now I can hit 130, so I am pretty happy.
How did an exhaust raise your top end speed 15 mph?
Old 04-07-2003, 06:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Purchasing exhaust system TOMORROW (Monday) where can you get OBX Catback?

Originally posted by spanishrice

I noticed that you have a GXE, so there is a good chance that its got a governer at around 118. Did you happen to cut the wire on your ecu the same day you installed your catback by any chance?.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:10 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Nealoc,

If you want to be a man, go with some duals. Get a WS6 turbo muffler (lower noise level then my flowmasters) and do a setup like me/Kashoggio. It will look 10 times better and still won't be loud.

The just get a WSP resonated b-pipe, or custom bend your own b-pipe and stock a 22" x 3" glasspack in the b-pipe. Will quiet and deepen with no power losses.

Or, you can be like everyone else and get a boring cattback.

PM me if you want more info.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:35 PM

U know what, I second the dual setup. Might as well, u aint got much to loose but a spare and no matter which way u look at it, it will look sweet and CraigMack's gotta point about theWS6 turbo muffer it will take a bit more sound out then the normal flowmasters would but there is just one problem with this, acutally two. Depending on much weight means to u, it might actually be lighter then a normal setup due to the loss of the spare but if u can somehow pull it off w/o losing the spare then its gonna be a bit heavier but nothing extreme. Id think a gain of no more then 20 lbs topps. BTW is u want no noise as suggeseted keep a resonator. GoodLuck
Old 04-07-2003, 08:24 PM

A dual exhaust can cause a power loss on a N/A engine because of all the extra piping, and back pressure issues. Also, I believe that Neal doesn't want any extra weight added to the car than need be, because of his drag racing.

Craig, I think you need to get a V8 camaro because in most of your posts you are obsessed with flowmasters and dual exhausts and v8 sound...you crack me up.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:34 PM

If u consider that the spare is being removed its weighs less then normal due to that lack of the spare. Hmmm.... But then again he can just get the reg setup and remove the spare and it will weigh less.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:33 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by 96sleeper
A dual exhaust can cause a power loss on a N/A engine because of all the extra piping, and back pressure issues. Also, I believe that Neal doesn't want any extra weight added to the car than need be, because of his drag racing.

Craig, I think you need to get a V8 camaro because in most of your posts you are obsessed with flowmasters and dual exhausts and v8 sound...you crack me up.

Yep, those "cross-flow" mufflers used on the F-Bodies are not known for high flow. A cross-flow muffler has the inlet on one side and then the outlets on both sides of the muffler. This is where they get cross-flow and as you can imagine, the exhaust can become quite turbulent in the muffler can. The best performing F-Body mufflers are the single inlet and single outlet setups, but most guys pass on these setups simply because they want a dual setup on the F-body (even those it's a fake dual).

Running a dual setup on the Maxima does absolutely nothing for performance because it's all about looks. Overall, the setup adds a little more weight too. Seeing that Neal is very concerned about weight on his car, I'd imagine he'd pass on a heavy dual setup.

As for Craig needing a V8, ain't that the truth With what he's spent on his Maxima, he could have been pimping a VERY sweetly set up 97 Camaro SS with a LT4 intake ($500), LT4 heads ($1200), hot cam ($300), ecu program ($400), headers ($300), catback ($300), MAF ($200), and Nitto drag radials ($300). This is about $3500 in NA mods that would push this LT1/LT4 into the 350-370 rwhp range and mid 12 second performance. Figure 12K-14K for the car and $3500 in mods bringing the total to ~16-18K. Seeing he's spent a couple grand with the tranny swap, couple grand with the SC, couple grand in wheel/tires, couple grand in body work, couple grand in NA mods, etc,......to get a mid-13 second car. Then there's always the 98+ LS1 F-Body which can be had for 11-15K and cranks out 295-305rwhp stock. I used the LT1 SS because I think it's the most badass looking late model F-Body ever built. The 98+ is just to "catfish" looking for my taste.

Dave
Old 04-08-2003, 02:02 PM

First of all, the dual exhaust setup is going to weigh ~2lbs. heavier then a single exhaust setup. The tire well doesn't have to be touched. Just put the crossflow muffler in the normal Maxima muffler spot, and wrap a 2.25" pipe around the tire well. There's your crossflow right there, just a verticle crossflow. And as far as gains or losses from this setup, the only real way to find out is to dyno. Who know's what kind of #'s it will give you, n/a or boosted.

96Sleeper: Well, I can't really deny that. I always get excited whenever I hear/see a SS or V8 camaro with exhaust on the road...but at the same time, how many "Supercharged" Maximas are there locally to you? You tell people you have a Camaro and they go oh that's cool. You tell people you have a Maxima that's supercharged and they go . That's been my experiences anyways. I know that if I did the same mods to a Z28 that I did to my Max that it would spank me, but that's not really the fun of it. The cheapness of the Camaro also bugged me. It's sad that my 1995 Nissan has much better build quality and materials then my friends loaded '99 SS.

Dave B.: If it were ALL about speed, then I wouldn't have my rims, tint, body kit, clears, clear/reds, grille, ect. I'm sure if I chose to get the Camaro I could have made it look very sweet though.

Everyone expects a V8 camaro to be fast. Everyone expects it to have that "mean" sound. But how many people expect to come up next to a manual transmission, force-fed Maxima? It's just priceless. I am blessed to have such a nice car, or to even have the option of switching to a Muscle car.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Craig Mack
First of all, the dual exhaust setup is going to weigh ~2lbs. heavier then a single exhaust setup. The tire well doesn't have to be touched. Just put the crossflow muffler in the normal Maxima muffler spot, and wrap a 2.25" pipe around the tire well. There's your crossflow right there, just a verticle crossflow. And as far as gains or losses from this setup, the only real way to find out is to dyno. Who know's what kind of #'s it will give you, n/a or boosted.

96Sleeper: Well, I can't really deny that. I always get excited whenever I hear/see a SS or V8 camaro with exhaust on the road...but at the same time, how many "Supercharged" Maximas are there locally to you? You tell people you have a Camaro and they go oh that's cool. You tell people you have a Maxima that's supercharged and they go . That's been my experiences anyways. I know that if I did the same mods to a Z28 that I did to my Max that it would spank me, but that's not really the fun of it. The cheapness of the Camaro also bugged me. It's sad that my 1995 Nissan has much better build quality and materials then my friends loaded '99 SS.

Dave B.: If it were ALL about speed, then I wouldn't have my rims, tint, body kit, clears, clear/reds, grille, ect. I'm sure if I chose to get the Camaro I could have made it look very sweet though.

Everyone expects a V8 camaro to be fast. Everyone expects it to have that "mean" sound. But how many people expect to come up next to a manual transmission, force-fed Maxima? It's just priceless. I am blessed to have such a nice car, or to even have the option of switching to a Muscle car.
JC where you been ? posting school ... thats your best defense for your obsessive v-8 disorder i ever read.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:55 PM
no more maxima...

Originally posted by Dave B

I used the LT1 SS because I think it's the most badass looking late model F-Body ever built. The 98+ is just to "catfish" looking for my taste.
Thats exactly the way I feel too...one of the most mean looking cars on the road.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:30 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Re: Re: Re: Purchasing exhaust system TOMORROW (Monday) where can you get OBX Catback?

Originally posted by spanishrice

wow, and I thought when my needle past the 140 mph mark I was going fast......
Old 04-09-2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020

JC where you been ? posting school ... thats your best defense for your obsessive v-8 disorder i ever read.
in english please