General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Does anyone have the custommaxima.com carbon fiber hood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does anyone have the custommaxima.com carbon fiber hood?

Just saw it on their website...wondering how the quality/fitment is and whether hoodpins are absolutely necessary...

Also, does anyone know which company makes the hood? Hopefully it's not the FI one...
Old 04-08-2003, 01:40 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

im interested as well if anyone has some feedback it would be nice. thanks
Old 04-08-2003, 08:50 AM

Re: Does anyone have the custommaxima.com carbon fiber hood?

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
whether hoodpins are absolutely necessary...
yes
Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Does anyone have the custommaxima.com carbon fiber hood?

Originally posted by CalsonicSE
Just saw it on their website...wondering how the quality/fitment is and whether hoodpins are absolutely necessary...

Also, does anyone know which company makes the hood? Hopefully it's not the FI one...
What do you have against the FI carbon fiber hood?

the problem is not with the hood.. it's with the nissan factory latch. It has 2 latches, but if the first latch goes, like mine did, your second latch is worthless because it just sits there and doesn't hook onto anything.

I've seen a couple 5th gens with no pins, but I am not sure if their latch assemblies are different and can actually hold the hood in place. When my car was latched with no pins, at 30MPH the hood came up and snapped across the windshield and whatnot. It's not worth the risk.

Right now I don't even use the latch at all, I just have my hood held down with the pins.

Jason Sadler
Old 04-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Will a carbon fiber hood show rock chips like the factory hood? Will it chip at all?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:22 AM

Re: Re: Does anyone have the custommaxima.com carbon fiber hood?

Originally posted by thebigsadler

What do you have against the FI carbon fiber hood?

the problem is not with the hood.. it's with the nissan factory latch. It has 2 latches, but if the first latch goes, like mine did, your second latch is worthless because it just sits there and doesn't hook onto anything.

I've seen a couple 5th gens with no pins, but I am not sure if their latch assemblies are different and can actually hold the hood in place. When my car was latched with no pins, at 30MPH the hood came up and snapped across the windshield and whatnot. It's not worth the risk.

Right now I don't even use the latch at all, I just have my hood held down with the pins.

Jason Sadler
On the 5thgens the hood latch had to be raised a little higher and barely hold the hood on. Hood pins are a must on mines if your driving like 100+ all the time like me
Old 04-08-2003, 09:25 AM

I should be getting my CF hood from Custom Maxima this week if not today,,,depends on the contacts I have...hopefully today...but they "recommend hood pins" due to the light weight but assured me the stock latch is firm.

I am looking into the kind that lock and sit flush on the hood...like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...409911328&rd=1
Old 04-08-2003, 09:28 AM

CF Hood

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
im interested as well if anyone has some feedback it would be nice. thanks
I just got the VIS one and it is IMMACULATE! It looks beautiful... no flaws at all! Dont know how it will hold up to scratches or cracks but i'll keep you guys posted...

Deac
Old 04-08-2003, 09:35 AM

oh and BTW, I KNOW it is not Fiber Images who made the new hoods...
Old 04-08-2003, 11:31 AM

I'd give Ange my business before cm.com http://www.redlinemax.com/specials.htm
Old 04-08-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
What is the hate on Fiber Images??

Too bad ange got a bunch of crap in her shipment instead of hoods..
Old 04-08-2003, 12:52 PM

What is the hate on Fiber Images??

Too bad ange got a bunch of crap in her shipment instead of hoods..

maybe cause they suck?? and customer service is uhmm as good as butt. i guess you have a FI hood Jason???

that second latch is a saftey latch that should keep the hood from flipping up when the 1st latch pops or whatever, but apparently the 2nd latch FI made doesnt work.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:00 PM

anybody know the part number for the arm that holds the hood open and how much the part costs? My hood won't stay up without holding it.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:03 PM

Hmmm..

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Actually, the one advertised on CustomMaxima.com looks identical to the hood I just got yesterday... the VIS one. Its priced about the same too.

Deac
Old 04-08-2003, 01:07 PM

Re: Hmmm..

Originally posted by Deac

Actually, the one advertised on CustomMaxima.com looks identical to the hood I just got yesterday... the VIS one. Its priced about the same too.

Deac
but does VIS make it for the 4th gen as well??
Old 04-08-2003, 01:14 PM

Re: .

Originally posted by DR0832
anybody know the part number for the arm that holds the hood open and how much the part costs? My hood won't stay up without holding it.
I heard $60 for both
Old 04-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: Re: Hmmm..

but does VIS make it for the 4th gen as well??
they were and then they stopped and CM came out with them

I'll give Angie my business its kind of frustrating, but one of the reasons my GD fell through is CM paraded in my GD thread that he was gonna have 100% CF hoods for $250 each like 8 months ago... utter bull****

Ange has my business screw CM still never recieved my clear corners
Old 04-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

and

Fiber Images has some issues... just ask Matthel what happened to you was BS and the fact that they blamed you was even worse

I remember when we got them all in the beginning they told us HOOD PINS WERE OPTIONAL

and their customer service blows a nut...
Old 04-08-2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
and

Fiber Images has some issues... just ask Matthel what happened to you was BS and the fact that they blamed you was even worse

I remember when we got them all in the beginning they told us HOOD PINS WERE OPTIONAL

and their customer service blows a nut...
yesyes, customer service blows both nuts. and i know i wasnt the only one that had the prob so people dont blame that crap on me.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:57 PM

yesyes, customer service blows both nuts. and i know i wasnt the only one that had the prob so people dont blame that crap on me.

I didnt quite know matthel back then..so it couldn't have been Lery syndrome either. Im looking for pics also, as im probably going to go with Hoon's KBD hood, unless the VIS invader hood looks good in person
Old 04-08-2003, 05:24 PM

its weird my first FI hood had the world renowned blemish in the carbon fiber, well after that one flipped up, i called FI and connie was extremely nice and albert told me he would have my hood to me in 3 days time. It was weird I had heard about all the issues, but I didn't have any myself.

and malik.. you suck *****.

jason
Old 04-08-2003, 05:32 PM

its weird my first FI hood had the world renowned blemish in the carbon fiber, well after that one flipped up, i called FI and connie was extremely nice and albert told me he would have my hood to me in 3 days time. It was weird I had heard about all the issues, but I didn't have any myself.

jason
they gave you a free replacement hood?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by sx7r

they gave you a free replacement hood?
i wish thomas.. no.. it was a nice chunk of change..
Old 04-08-2003, 06:38 PM

i wish thomas.. no.. it was a nice chunk of change..
oh, i was gonna say.. mine flew off also.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by slammed95

Too many people are too cheap and want a good carbon fiber hood at a ridiculously low price.

If you want a good CF hood then pay up and shut up.

btw,...my hood will be on Thursday...

Old 04-08-2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by BrokenMotor

oh, i was gonna say.. mine flew off also.
oops, i was at a friend's house
Old 04-08-2003, 10:31 PM

yea i agree, carbon fiber is expensive, and good work with carbon fiber is expensive. of course everyone always wants the best price possible tho. i am cheap but i dont mind paying decent money for a good quality hood. id rather pay more knowing im gettin a good hood then save money on a so-so hood.

Originally posted by slammed95

I haven't seen a single chip in my hood after a few months of having it. I've gone 130+mph and heard pebbles hitting my hood and windshield and not a scratch on the hood.

Too many people are too cheap and want a good carbon fiber hood at a ridiculously low price. Carbon fiber is expensive as hell, and people who are good with it want to get paid well. If you want a good CF hood then pay up and shut up. Ever wonder why simple carbon fiber JDM hoods cost $900+ with no vent or anything?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Former Sponsor

jason
my problem with them was when I called them about what happened to Matts hood... they denied other 'incidents' that I knew happened, and Connie talked down to me especially about the need for hood pins- she said they were necessary- fine with me but they didnt say that before!!

dude Matthel did you ever get your money back from Motivational??
Old 04-08-2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by carnal_c30

my problem with them was when I called them about what happened to Matts hood... they denied other 'incidents' that I knew happened, and Connie talked down to me especially about the need for hood pins- she said they were necessary- fine with me but they didnt say that before!!

dude Matthel did you ever get your money back from Motivational??
yea but i lost out on shipping. so i paid like $80 or whatever for a damaged fender and no CF hood. what a waste of money
Old 04-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

.. Too bad ange got a bunch of crap in her shipment instead of hoods..
Old 04-09-2003, 04:45 AM

If anyone can dish out $610+ for cf hood, more power to them Fact of the matter is, 80% of us just isn't going to pay that kind of money for a piece of hood (unless its made out of titanium or something).

I'm trying to push my overseas manufacturer to deliver my cf hood order the best I can. I first placed the cf hood order back in late January, you can't believe how f-in fed up I am with this company. Unfortunately, as Jason pointed out, we get other stuff from the same company so we can't exactly take our business elsewhere. They are the same supplier that we get our 2K Celica cf hoods from, and I'm hoping the cf hoods they make for Maximas are just as good.

As of right now, I'm looking for the factory to include my cf hoods in the container that is scheduled to arrive at port in end of April. If the overseas manufacturer cannot deliver, my contingent plan is to get them from CA. Yes, I know who has them and they have no problem producing it for us. Cost will be higher, which in turn would be passed along to the consumer. That's what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

AnGe
Old 04-09-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl
If anyone can dish out $610+ for cf hood, more power to them Fact of the matter is, 80% of us just isn't going to pay that kind of money for a piece of hood (unless its made out of titanium or something).

I'm trying to push my overseas manufacturer to deliver my cf hood order the best I can. I first placed the cf hood order back in late January, you can't believe how f-in fed up I am with this company. Unfortunately, as Jason pointed out, we get other stuff from the same company so we can't exactly take our business elsewhere. They are the same supplier that we get our 2K Celica cf hoods from, and I'm hoping the cf hoods they make for Maximas are just as good.

As of right now, I'm looking for the factory to include my cf hoods in the container that is scheduled to arrive at port in end of April. If the overseas manufacturer cannot deliver, my contingent plan is to get them from CA. Yes, I know who has them and they have no problem producing it for us. Cost will be higher, which in turn would be passed along to the consumer. That's what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

AnGe
hey

if you end up not being able to get them from overseas, do you know how much itll cost? i know many people including myself would rather buy from you them from custommaxima. lemme know, thanks
Old 04-09-2003, 12:58 PM

hey

if you end up not being able to get them from overseas, do you know how much itll cost? i know many people including myself would rather buy from you them from custommaxima. lemme know, thanks
hey back to you too

It'll cost low to mid $400s. I'm as itching to get one on my car as you are

AnGe
Old 04-09-2003, 01:03 PM

hey Ange not to be a pita but you seem to have connections and i was wonderin if you would ever be marketing hoods for 3rd gens?
Old 04-09-2003, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by maximum3rdgen
hey Ange not to be a pita but you seem to have connections and i was wonderin if you would ever be marketing hoods for 3rd gens?
I have no connections, just learning as I go along. Not sure about 3rd gen hoods, can't promise anything but I will definitely put in an inquiry.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:45 PM

Cool thanks ange!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

hey back to you too

It'll cost low to mid $400s. I'm as itching to get one on my car as you are

AnGe
Old 04-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Im going to paint my hood when i get it, So it would be fine with me if the hood complexion was complete crap, If i can get the hood cheaper and there happens to be a scrached and dug hood ill bye it
Old 04-09-2003, 05:48 PM

I tryed to order a hood today and steve at custommaxima said" they
had a shipping problem and some where damaged".
He told me to call him back next week.
Also he said he was almost sure that they worked a deal to get the
hood pins included.
and shipping is a flat rate of $125
Old 04-09-2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by mark w chrzanow
I tryed to order a hood today and steve at custommaxima said" they
had a shipping problem and some where damaged".
buwhahahaha

Quick Reply: Does anyone have the custommaxima.com carbon fiber hood?