General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What do you guys feel about a big Maxima/Nissan meet in the Midwest.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by xHypex

I agree. The Chicago supporters better find someone to start NOW if this is going to be more than just discussion.
Yep, someone's got to step up real soon. August will be HOT and September looks like it's out for most college guys. It will take a solid three months of planning, organization, and reserving. JustinMC (lives in KC) and he set up the Atlanta Maxus. He'd be a good connection for anyone (including me) that needs advice on how to run something like this. If I try a KC thing, it will probably be organized and run by the KCMaximas group because my job requires me to travel a good bit and I may be gone most of June. The KC club includes:

Dave B - Me
GuidoSST - Dave (strong connections to a large KC Nissan dealer, shirt and handout designs)
JustinMC - Justin (Maxus organizer experience, possible KCIR track connections)
BigDi - Joe
BryanH - Bryan MC Racing (dyno connections, me also)
Matt93SE - Matt
Dahnryman - Bryon
BSwithTF - Travis
Blaxmima (?) - Kris
VQMan - Matt
KSU1998 - Dale
Soon2bMaxed - Trevor

What I visualize is a kind of relaxed atmosphere. I'm looking at a 2-day event which would include track time/dyno/show:

Friday:
Check in at the hotel. We'd need to reserve the track Friday afternoon (12-4, upfront money needed) or just decide to go to Friday Night Grudge Racing (6-10pm) which will mean you might get 2 runs or so if it's busy. 50-60 Maximas showing up would be pretty funny. We could get there at 5pm and be the first ones in and get some quick passes in.

Saturday:
Nissan dealer needs to be reserved for show and shine or possibly use the hotel parking lot if we can get the Double Tree Hotel or dyno (Saturday).

Dyno needs to be reserved (Saturday) from ~10am-3pm (~12-18 cars) if there is a real want to dyno. There is the potential to use the dyno's back lot (grass) for the show/shine (~120 cars can park there). We did this for a 240SX meet.

Sunday:
unknown, hang out, say goodbye

2003 Maxus Shirts?
Rent some tents?
I probably wouldn't bring in any catering therefore eating is up to you (lots of places to eat/grocery stores in the immediate area)

Dave
Old 04-15-2003, 11:37 AM
SLOW

I've got no problem organizing a Chicago meet, but my concerns are the same as Daves, getting people to pay up front basically. I'm a full time college student and I do not have the money to put up front (I'm not saying I won't do it, I'm saying I literally do not have that kind of money). Organizationally I could work it, financially I can't.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Give me a proposal and Maxima.org may be able to help out financially.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Give me a proposal and Maxima.org may be able to help out financially.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:46 PM

i vote kc, but of course i live there.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I've got no problem organizing a Chicago meet, but my concerns are the same as Daves, getting people to pay up front basically. I'm a full time college student and I do not have the money to put up front (I'm not saying I won't do it, I'm saying I literally do not have that kind of money). Organizationally I could work it, financially I can't.

well how much is is to rent out byron or what not so we all know how much we gotta give & then see if people can pay that amount or not
Old 04-16-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

well how much is is to rent out byron or what not so we all know how much we gotta give & then see if people can pay that amount or not
If everyone that posted is serious about attending and we have decided on Byron I will check the rates out to rent the track.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:59 PM

My Vote is KC

Hey, just my opinion but you can't knock all of the BBQ restuarants in this city, that should alone be worth the drive to KC.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:54 PM

Im serious about going....I would only be able to attend any of the Chicago tracks if the date falls during my summer school....but if the track date falls on a day when im between semesters then I have a better chance of going to any of the KC tracks or Byron or any other track in Chicago.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

It looks like majority wants Chicago so I'm going to pass on setting up a KC thing. Hopefully the ball will get rolling on the Chicago thing because I'd love to attend the event.

Dave
Old 04-16-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
It looks like majority wants Chicago so I'm going to pass on setting up a KC thing. Hopefully the ball will get rolling on the Chicago thing because I'd love to attend the event.

Dave
Old 04-16-2003, 11:04 PM

KC or Chicago sounds good to me. I guess majority picks Chicago, so hopefully someone in that area can set something up soon....if not, I think we should go with DaveB. Sounds very organized.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:12 AM

Chicago all the way!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:44 AM

Who needs help organizing??? Let me know. I can lend a hand.

Also do we want to keep this Maxima only?? Just want to make sure. If not I have a whole lot of Nissans at my disposal that would love some of this stuff.

Email has been sent to Byron. I will be looking for some hotels and dealerships in the area. Do we want to keep this out by Rockford or bring it a little closer to the city??
Old 04-17-2003, 08:58 AM

KANSAS CITY
Old 04-17-2003, 09:11 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I would drive to KC (from Little Rock).. probably not Chicago tho.. I did that a few years ago.. promised I would fly before ever driving that again.

KC has everything from Dean and Delucas on one side to beat down crack deals gone wrong on the other side (or downtown that is). I got to see it all.. I grabbed the GPS and just started driving, without any idea where I really was. When I told everyone where I ended up and what I saw, there were very amused to say the least. I did the same thing in Oakland :/ wont do that again
Old 04-19-2003, 06:07 PM

ok

KC KC KC ,,,Hooters located 10 min from drag strip...plus Noland rd...has large cruise nights...and kcirs lot can hold many many cars

so....why chicago...everyone has to drive further...
Old 04-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

granted i'm still here at my present job. i'd gladly take the time off!! count me in as always for a midwest meet plus, i've gotta see nealoc's maxima finally. also, i vote for chitown, cuz i'm used to going there for thedriven.org meets. however, my family could make a trip outta town.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:33 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I can hook up a dyno for us to dyno on. But its in the burbs of Chicago. I'm going there this week to tune my friends GS-R, dyno my Max again without a AFC, friends DSM... etc. Let ya know how it goes... if I dyno anything lower than 190 its up for sale :P
Old 04-23-2003, 09:40 AM

Sooo.. what time are we looking at? It seems like mid-August would be good- that way it wouldn't conflict with school schedules. I am definitely in for either KC or Chicago, and I'll see if I can get any other Cali guys to go.
Sounds like fun, but if nobody steps up for Chicago, then KC gets my vote because it seems like Dave B is the man with the plan
Miles
Old 04-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The KC plan is out because it looks like the majority wants it in Chicago. IMO, I don't think anything is going to happen because the plan needs to be set in stone by May so an August Maxus can happen. It looks way too unorganized right now.

Dave
Old 04-23-2003, 11:51 AM

The KC plan is out because it looks like the majority wants it in Chicago. IMO, I don't think anything is going to happen because the plan needs to be set in stone by May so an August Maxus can happen. It looks way too unorganized right now.

Dave
So step up Dave The majority may want it in Chicago, but I'm sure all would agree that any Maxus is better than no Maxus. The haters will see the light eventually.
-hype
Old 04-23-2003, 01:38 PM

Dave
I have sent an email off to the guys at Byron and have not heard back from them. I will send yet another email or give them a call.

I checked to find a local Nissan dealer and there is one, but I have not yet contacted them. I will try to do that today.

As far as a dyno goes. BlackBirdVQ says he has a hook up, but it is probably down towards the suburbs and Rockford (location of Byron) is about an hour away.

I have not yet found any hotels, but I can look into that as well.

Does anyone else in the Chicago-land area want to lend a hand?? If not I don't know if I can make all the plans myself.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:41 PM

i went to high school in aurora.... but i'll be in STL all summer... so KC is prolly better for me. but whatevers, i still have a long way to mod before i want to go to the track. *i need to do a 5 speed conversion sumtime*
Old 04-24-2003, 08:52 AM

I'd be down for an early august meet in KC or Chitown, either one works, but I'd rather have it in KC cuz I have friends I can crash with there, as soon as some plans come rolling down, I can pay upfront (even though I am a poor college kid)...
Old 05-20-2003, 04:05 PM

So what Happened......IS THIS IDEA DEAD NOW?
Old 05-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Despite Max, women still avoid him

It appears so....it's a damn shame because this would have been done had KC been chosen. Too late now. It sure was easy for most to vote for CHItown but look what we have....NOTHING. Thing is, I live in KC but would still gladly drive to Chicago if something got organized and confirmed up there ASAP. It appears dead to me. Maybe we should just start planning for a KC event early next year? I dunno.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:15 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by stlkcdc
It appears so....it's a damn shame because this would have been done had KC been chosen. Too late now. It sure was easy for most to vote for CHItown but look what we have....NOTHING. Thing is, I live in KC but would still gladly drive to Chicago if something got organized and confirmed up there ASAP. It appears dead to me. Maybe we should just start planning for a KC event early next year? I dunno.
KC was pretty much ready to roll (track, dyno, hotel, sponsored dealer), but like you said, the majority wanted Chicago and it's too late now

Dave