General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wheel alignment and negative camber

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 12:12 PM

Wheel alignment and negative camber

I installed my AGX's last week, and the front eibach's are cut one coil giving it a nice drop, about 1.5 finger gap in the front and 2 in the back.. I took the car to goodyear for an alignment, because im still under warranty from when i had it aligned in august.

now my question is, how bad is it if my camber is -2 degrees? the guy didnt want to cover it under warranty and said my struts looked new, but i just told him thats how my car was the last time i was in there, and he finally agreed to cover it this time. hes going to adjust the toe, but the negative camber will still be there, and i wanted to know if its really going to put excess wear on my tires, being that -1.5 is within spec. i am going back in a little while for them to do the alignment because they were busy... also will my alignment get thrown off easy with my setup? i dont feel like spending a few hundred for camber plates, and then having to have it aligned again.. thanks in advance
Old 04-09-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah, you shouldn't have cut the coils. Neg 2 deg camber is gonna eat your tires alive. Get some camber bolts quick(I mean order them today and have then installed/aligned within 1 month)
Old 04-09-2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Ah, you shouldn't have cut the coils. Neg 2 deg camber is gonna eat your tires alive. Get some camber bolts quick(I mean order them today and have then installed/aligned within 1 month)
how bad will it wear my tires? are we talking like 50% faster? i didnt cut the springs, i got them cut and i still have my uncut springs but i despise the saggy rear look.. how bad is the camber with sprint springs? my front isnt any lower than sprint fronts would be, its actually a little bit higher in the front than 4th gens ive seen with sprints..

if its that bad, ill look into getting camber bolts and then having it aligned, but i have nothing to lose rigth now since this alignment will be covered under warranty.. thanks for the help
Old 04-09-2003, 12:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

If you got maybe 35,000 on a set of tires, you will probably get less than 1/2 w/ that crappy camber. The inner tread will be bald while the outer will be brand new.

You did read the the suspension sticky RIGHT?
Old 04-09-2003, 01:02 PM

Joe, buy some Eibach Camber Bolts from Alex at SouthWest and you'll be fine, they'll get your camber aligned perfect. Only $30...

You know how low I am and my alignment is perfect. My guy said the camber bolts were an excellent purchase
Old 04-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Or just get your car aligned cause mine didnt need the bolts at the place i took it to.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

You can get it aligned a billion times, the camber will still be neg 2 degrees until he gets some camber correcting hardware in.

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Or just get your car aligned cause mine didnt need the bolts at the place i took it to.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:32 PM

You did read the the suspension sticky RIGHT?

for some reason on the printout from the alignment it shows left front camber -.5 and right front camber -1... i dont know if he was just guessing -2 degrees before, or he just threw those #'s into the computer.. either way ill just pick up some camber bolts and throw them in in a few weeks, at least my tow is fine for now, and these front tires are on their way out anyway so if i wear them down its not the end of the world.. thanks for your help Jeff, and sorry i didnt read the sticky
Old 04-09-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Neg .1 and .5 is well within specifications. If those are truely the correct specs then you don't even need the bolts technically.

Originally posted by JoesMAX

for some reason on the printout from the alignment it shows left front camber -.5 and right front camber -1... i dont know if he was just guessing -2 degrees before, or he just threw those #'s into the computer.. either way ill just pick up some camber bolts and throw them in in a few weeks, at least my tow is fine for now, and these front tires are on their way out anyway so if i wear them down its not the end of the world.. thanks for your help Jeff, and sorry i didnt read the sticky
Old 04-09-2003, 02:23 PM

Neg .1 and .5 is well within specifications. If those are truely the correct specs then you don't even need the bolts technically.

yea but im not sure if those are the right #'s because it shows before and actual as the same #'s, while he told me earlier it was off -2, unless he was just estimating the -2... would -.1 and -.5 show? because you can see that the wheel has a little negative camber, but its not like the back wheels of a civic or anything
Old 04-09-2003, 02:26 PM

since you started an alignment thread I'm gonna throw my stuff in too

did my alignment yesterday with AGX/H&R (3.5 finger gap in the front )

my toe out before alignment was 2.8 and 3.2

now its at 0.1 toe in and steering feels a lot beter, also my negative camber is like -0.7... is that ok?
Old 04-09-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

-0.7 should be okay.

Joe: If the readings from before/after are exactly the same, something is fishy. Neg 2 deg camber will definately be noticable. Cheap civic lowering noticable. Anything under 1 deg neg and you might not even notice unless you know what to look for.

Originally posted by costcowholesale
since you started an alignment thread I'm gonna throw my stuff in too

did my alignment yesterday with AGX/H&R (3.5 finger gap in the front )

my toe out before alignment was 2.8 and 3.2

now its at 0.1 toe in and steering feels a lot beter, also my negative camber is like -0.7... is that ok?
Old 04-09-2003, 02:38 PM

Joe: If the readings from before/after are exactly the same, something is fishy. Neg 2 deg camber will definately be noticable. Cheap civic lowering noticable. Anything under 1 deg neg and you might not even notice unless you know what to look for.

yea im thinking maybe the guy just entered a # into the computer or something... im going to take pics right now of my front wheels, see if that might help
Old 04-09-2003, 02:55 PM

pic 1

pic 2

the way the fenders come out and then back in make it harded to tell, because the fenders arent exactly 90 degrees with the ground either, but let me know what you think from these pictures
Old 04-09-2003, 03:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hard to tell but that doesn't look like 2 deg neg. I "think" you're okay. But maybe have the shop put it up the rack to confirm? I mean there's no way it could be the same before/after. So I think you're entitled to some accurate specs.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:08 PM

Hard to tell but that doesn't look like 2 deg neg. I "think" you're okay. But maybe have the shop put it up the rack to confirm? I mean there's no way it could be the same before/after. So I think you're entitled to some accurate specs.
i was going to call goodyear to ask them, but the guy seemed pretty ****ed that he was doing it under warranty, since he knew something was up.. maybe ill give it a few weeks and see how my tires are, since these tires will need to be replaced in a few months anyway. if anything ill try to put in the camber bolts and get it aligned when i get 2 new tires for the front, so i know everything is good.. thanks again for the help
Old 04-09-2003, 03:30 PM

pic 1

pic 2

the way the fenders come out and then back in make it harded to tell, because the fenders arent exactly 90 degrees with the ground either, but let me know what you think from these pictures
yea i can kinda see that it doesnt look 90° with the ground, but yet your right it is hard to tell

get the camber corrected..
and maybe some wheels spacers too, just a imo suggestion, i think it would enhance the stance some more

when i swapped back on my 99s a few weeks ago, the tires on my stock set were worn badly on the inside on all 4 tires but they didnt even look misaligned or anything when they were on the car; probably from when i spun out on a wet highway last summer and hopped over the median sideways... im not getting an alignment done until my new tires and suspension is in which should be next month
Old 04-09-2003, 05:33 PM

yea but im not sure if those are the right #'s because it shows before and actual as the same #'s, while he told me earlier it was off -2, unless he was just estimating the -2... would -.1 and -.5 show? because you can see that the wheel has a little negative camber, but its not like the back wheels of a civic or anything
The #'s are the same beacause the camber wasn't adjusted. It's non adjustable until you get the adjustment hardware.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by maximus75

The #'s are the same beacause the camber wasn't adjusted. It's non adjustable until you get the adjustment hardware.
im not sure if the #'s are even correct though... if those are the correct numbers, i should be fine the way it is.. even if they cant adjust the camber, doesnt it change slightly from doing the alignment? when i looked at the alignment done in august the before and actual #'s are slightly different.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm wondering how long do u need to wait for an alignment after you get dropped.. also how can you tell the wear of the tire? (from being lowered)

Just to add on to the post...
Old 04-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ingalls camber bolts for $23 shipped
http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/ingalls.htm

My camber was -1.5 and -1.6 and the inside of my tires wore real quick. With the camber bolts I've gotten it to -0.2 on both side, my car tracks better (no more pull) and my tires don't wear as fast now.