General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
RVM: we are standing behind our items, no refunds will be issued

I will be reporting this to the BBB and I hope all the other org memebers will stand behind me and make something of this and hopefully sink there company this time. They were already in the whole once and tried to make a comeback but looks like they ruined that totally. Please post here if you are willing to take time out to report this LAME company to the BBB.

Matt
just let me know what i need to do. atleast they can do is be polite about it. i just called them also and they were like ****ed off to talk to customer.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:30 PM

Visited Unorthodox Racing Today

Yep, that's right guys..the guy who lives in Milwaukee down the river met up with Shawn/Sean from UR today in Long Island.

I was there to pick up my pulley (had to pay list price, oh well..) but then I asked them to machine the RVM pulley to their spec so I won't end up with a shiny paperweight (and send the pulley to my gf in San Diego who drives 97 SE).

Their reply:
"The pulley will take so much time to work on, but...let me cut you a deal. Give me the pulley and I will give you the second pulley for [way less than retail, ever!] so you could install that to your gf's Maxima."

"This pulley from our competitor would soon to be featured in the our web."

So now I have two pulleys from UR in blue color...yummm....
Old 04-23-2003, 05:06 PM

the funny part of this is that RVM claims that there UDP is same as UR UDP because they copied it from them.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by ][ 35
I don't think most people have got lot's of milage on them yet.
and I drive like a maniac and go to track often so mine could have worn down faster the most. If you know how to take them apart and put them back, I recommand doing it and look at the UDP to see if there is any wear on it.

Here is the RVM timing ring over 95 maxima se auto stock pulley, you can see the difference clearly. Timing ring doesent mach timing marks on stock pulley, therefore pulley sensor doesn't read it right and you get all kinds of problems. One of them is hard starting.
[IMG][C:\Documents and Settings\S\My Documents\My Pictures\Maxima\RVM_timing_ring_over_stock_pulley. jpg]RVMpulley[/IMG]
Old 04-23-2003, 06:58 PM
VQ Wizard

the funny part of this is that RVM claims that there UDP is same as UR UDP because they copied it from them.
I was thinking it was either a copy of they're just buying the reject batch from UR and selling the CRAP to you guys. Thats why they have machine marks on them new. Just a thought.

As I said earlier. You get what you pay for or lack thereof.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Kanaka
There seems to be two problems with the RVM pulleys. One is an oil leak and one is people having a hard time starting their cars. I installed my pulley 2 weeks ago. I have figured out the problem with the starting problem. Everyone who has a hard time starting their car and getting a 4-7 code probably has a miscut timing ring. This is the ring that is held on by the 4 screws. if you remove the ring and compare it to your stock ring, you will see that the two single tabs line up, but the double tab is about 1/8" off. This will send a bad signal to the crank position sensor and your engine will have a hard time starting since it doesn't know the correct position of the crankshaft/pistons/etc.
The fix would be to either cut the bad tabs off and weld them on where whey should be, or try and call RVM and get a replacement. I did the later, and am waiting for a replacement.

As for the first problem about the oil leak, I have a question for all those who have this problem since I had my pulley on for only 3 days and do not have a leak(yet). Did you change your oil seal when you installed your pulley? That may be part of the problem. Also, even if we are able to get the steel/brass sleeves, wouldn't we need to put the pulley on a lathe to take the diameter of the shaft down so that the sleeve will not bulge out? I think this would be a great deal of work for most people. you can't just slap the sleeve on or it will stick out and probably not fit.
I have exactly the same problem with RVM UP. The timing ring is off by about 1/8". I had problems starting the car. I send messages to the seller and he told me to rotate timing ring 90 degrees. Well, all I can say is that you can try all different positions and rotate as much as you like if the ring is off you will never get it to work right (believe me I tried). Stock pulley timing is made so the sensor could measure precisely, and since RVM pulley is off by only 1/8" it gets false readings, therefore you have problems starting the car and you don't gain any hp. As soon as I installed back the stock pulley car started great and now I'm on stock, at least before I will get the new timing ring. I sent email requesting new timing ring, so I'll see what they will come up with.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by litxus

I have exactly the same problem with RVM UP. The timing ring is off by about 1/8". I had problems starting the car. I send messages to the seller and he told me to rotate timing ring 90 degrees. Well, all I can say is that you can try all different positions and rotate as much as you like if the ring is off you will never get it to work right (believe me I tried). Stock pulley timing is made so the sensor could measure precisely, and since RVM pulley is off by only 1/8" it gets false readings, therefore you have problems starting the car and you don't gain any hp. As soon as I installed back the stock pulley car started great and now I'm on stock, at least before I will get the new timing ring. I sent email requesting new timing ring, so I'll see what they will come up with.
i just realized that not only are the tabs off, ,but they are made of stainless steel which does not react to magnets which is how the crank position sensor works. so not only do they have to cut the rings to different dimensions, but they have to make it out of regular steel or iron instead of stainless steel. This sucks.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:06 PM

Problem with UR UDP

These are the problems with UR UDP and their symptoms:

1. Hard to start/Crank sensor Code: this is the problem with the UR UDP timing ring. The notches do not allign properly.

2. Replacement of crank sensor/scratches around the timing ring: this is caused because of a warped timing ring. Mine has this. The ring was warped and it's barely straight.

3. Oil Leak/wear around the seal aread: this is because the pulley was not sleeved in steel. Slowly, the seal with eat the bare aluminum, like water cutting rocks (slowly, little by little but once it goes out, it will leak). This happens faster if the pulley was not seated right (torque problem, rust on the crank, etc.).

My RVM UDP now has a new home at UR. Let it rest in peace.

Armand
Old 04-23-2003, 09:11 PM
VQ Wizard

i just realized that not only are the tabs off, ,but they are made of stainless steel which does not react to magnets which is how the crank position sensor works. so not only do they have to cut the rings to different dimensions, but they have to make it out of regular steel or iron instead of stainless steel. This sucks.
Stainless?!?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You guys got humped with no vaseline whatsoever. It doesn't sound like they could catch a clue if one jumped in their lap.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:25 AM

Re: Problem with UR UDP

Originally posted by ardika

My RVM UDP now has a new home at UR. Let it rest in peace.

Armand
Why is your pulley at Unorthodox? are they giving us a discount if we send them our RVM pulleys? Maybe we could all send our pulleys...but how many PAPERWEIGHTS and DOORSTOPS do you think UR could use?

I have been emailing RVM almost every day and it seems like they are not going to admit to a problem let alone make it right with us.

Therefore I will probalby be calling my credit card company to have the charge credited towards my account. I called tonight, but the operator said that office that deals with merchant complaints was closed for the day. But from what she said it seems like I shouldn't have a hard time doing it. I'm just glad I used a CC instead of debit card or check. Guess everybody is right when they say to use a CC for web purchases.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:50 AM
Blu
the tits

First step can someone give me the contact info for these ****heads.....
Old 04-24-2003, 05:59 AM

First step can someone give me the contact info for these ****heads.....
here is the phone number 516-873-1464

email is RVMPower1@RVMPower.com

kanaka: yup they are not going to admit anything as someone said that even if 100% of the user have problem they are not going to admit fault. Too bad for me, i got mine like almost 5 month or 6 month ago so i don't think i can dispute this charge now
Old 04-24-2003, 06:16 AM
Blu
the tits

Well I just got my money back but only $63 of it. They don't credit you back shipping or some 2.5% charge. These guys are complete *******s and I basically told him to FUKK OFF before I hung up the phone because I know for a fact I will not be dealing with them ever again. What a joke of a business.

Matt
Old 04-24-2003, 06:20 AM

Well I just got my money back but only $63 of it. They don't credit you back shipping or some 2.5% charge. These guys are complete *******s and I basically told him to FUKK OFF before I hung up the phone because I know for a fact I will not be dealing with them ever again. What a joke of a business.

Matt
just be happy that you got something back out of it. i on the other hand have to keep my paper weight
Old 04-24-2003, 06:21 AM
Blu
the tits

One more thing they had credited my CC back about 3 days ago but never bothered to tell me. I asked why the hell didn't they tell me RVM's answer I never asked . What a joke I only asked 15 times via e-mail what the status was. Please nobody buy anything from them either on ebay or maxima.org. Thanks and good luck to all of you guys.

Matt
Old 04-24-2003, 06:31 AM
VQ Wizard

Bless them with many fine gifts of appreciation.

Option 1 (best)
Option 2
Option 3
Old 04-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why is your pulley at Unorthodox? are they giving us a discount if we send them our RVM pulleys? Maybe we could all send our pulleys...but how many PAPERWEIGHTS and DOORSTOPS do you think UR could use?

I have been emailing RVM almost every day and it seems like they are not going to admit to a problem let alone make it right with us.

Therefore I will probalby be calling my credit card company to have the charge credited towards my account. I called tonight, but the operator said that office that deals with merchant complaints was closed for the day. But from what she said it seems like I shouldn't have a hard time doing it. I'm just glad I used a CC instead of debit card or check. Guess everybody is right when they say to use a CC for web purchases.
I would guess Unorthodox is going to use it for a 'see what happens when you buy a cheap imitation' type of demonstration. I am sure they only need one but if one of you guys has one with the groove worn in it they might be intrested in having it. Even though I went through a lot of trouble buying a used Unorthodox racing UDP, I am glad I went with the UR pulley.

It looks like most of you guys will have to go through your credit card companys. I see Definative and UR selling lots of UDPs soon

Originally posted by SR20DEN
Bless them with many fine gifts of appreciation.

Option 1 (best)
Option 2
Option 3
I bet you could easily get enough guys to kick in $1 to get the Grande.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:37 AM
VQ Wizard

Yeah I'll pitch in.
We'll include a note.

"Hello RVM,
You've officially been "
Old 04-24-2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
Yeah I'll pitch in.
We'll include a note.

"Hello RVM,
You've officially been "
I'm totally in for it.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:34 AM

just be happy that you got something back out of it. i on the other hand have to keep my paper weight
im stuck with this ish too. I got it installed but never ran right. Got a cranksensor code and having trouble starting. I feel guilty trying to sell this piece of s**t to somebody else. this pulley is a piece of crap.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by 99maximagxe

im stuck with this ish too. I got it installed but never ran right. Got a cranksensor code and having trouble starting. I feel guilty trying to sell this piece of s**t to somebody else. this pulley is a piece of crap.
Welcome to the RVM UDP Paper Weight Club!!!!
Old 04-24-2003, 09:48 AM
The original VQ...

Im am about to buy a RVM pulley, help me out, what should i look for before buyingit , should i even buy it , what does the steel ring look like?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
Im am about to buy a RVM pulley, help me out, what should i look for before buyingit , should i even buy it , what does the steel ring look like?
DO NOT BUY IT. Spend extra and get either the UR racing or the other one someone help me out with a name
Old 04-24-2003, 10:19 AM

DO NOT BUY IT. Spend extra and get either the UR racing or the other one someone help me out with a name
Unorthodox Racing or Definitive!!!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ya know...after a little research i'm not too far from this place....hmmmmm...should i stop by?
Old 04-24-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by DanNY
ya know...after a little research i'm not too far from this place....hmmmmm...should i stop by?
that would be pretty sweet if you stop by and let them know of the problem face to face and see if they still tell you that "Our UDP is exact same as UR DUP because we copied it from them and that anyone who is having problem is because they installed it wrong"

maxspeed96CT : plz don't buy it because it's nothing but a waste of money. If you really want the RVM UDP get mine i'll sell it at 75% of the price hahahahaha j/k it's not even worth that.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:04 AM

"Our UDP is exact same as UR UDP because we copied it from them and that anyone who is having problem is because they installed it wrong"
We'll see about that.

I just sent an e-mail to UR asking whether they EVER produced an unsleeved pulley for the Nissan Maxima. I'll post their reply when I receive it.

And no, maxspeed96CT. I would not purchase an RVM pulley . . . sleeved or unsleeved. The company does not appear to be willing to stand behind its products.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:09 AM

maybe im special but am i the only one not having problems with this thing yet....my car starts fine and i have over 10k miles on the pulley...either way since everyone is so paranoid and throwing away there pulleys how much of a discount is UR giving us if we send ours back
Old 04-24-2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by 97MaximaSE
maybe im special but am i the only one not having problems with this thing yet....my car starts fine and i have over 10k miles on the pulley...either way since everyone is so paranoid and throwing away there pulleys how much of a discount is UR giving us if we send ours back
If you remove your pulley, you will see signs of abrasion from the oil seal. RVM has already admitted that the oil seal will abrade the aluminum. That's why they intend to change their design and incorporate a sleeve in future production runs. The only question is whether the abrasion is sufficient to cause an oil leak. In your case, it isn't . . . at least not yet.

And I wouldn't be looking to UR to offer a credit for the purchase of their UDP if you provide them with a damaged RVM pulley. After all, what's in it for them to do that?

At this point, it's a question of peace of mind. I, for one, do not want a part on my vehicle that has the potential to damage my engine. That's why I've decided to replace my RVM UDP with a UR UDP. And unless RVM changes its position with respect to sleeving existing pulleys or offering some kind of a credit against the purchase of a new, sleeved pulley, this will be my first and last purchase from RVM.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:28 AM
The original VQ...

Were is the cheapest place i could get one of these pulleys ??
Old 04-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Blu
the tits

Lets see how bitter you can be
Old 04-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Blu
the tits

thanks my brain wasn't functioning when I posted that
Old 04-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by y2kse

We'll see about that.

I just sent an e-mail to UR asking whether they EVER produced an unsleeved pulley for the Nissan Maxima. I'll post their reply when I receive it.

And no, maxspeed96CT. I would not purchase an RVM pulley . . . sleeved or unsleeved. The company does not appear to be willing to stand behind its products.
read the previous posts. someone asked and UR never made a maxima pulley w/o sleeve.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Lets see how bitter you can be
Old 04-24-2003, 12:18 PM

read the previous posts. someone asked and UR never made a maxima pulley w/o sleeve.
Quote from RVM REP

"We copied the maxima UDP from UR and UR didn't have the steel sleeves on it in the past but i guess they have it now that is why we are also making new RVM UDP with sleeves on them"

97maximase: well consider yourself lucky for now. I drive my car like a crazy person. Got a really bad Lead Foot
may be that cause it to wear down faster
Old 04-24-2003, 12:21 PM
The original VQ...

were's the best/cheapest place i can get the Unorthodox pulley?
Old 04-24-2003, 12:42 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Quote from RVM REP

"We copied the maxima UDP from UR and UR didn't have the steel sleeves on it in the past but i guess they have it now that is why we are also making new RVM UDP with sleeves on them"

97maximase: well consider yourself lucky for now. I drive my car like a crazy person. Got a really bad Lead Foot
may be that cause it to wear down faster

Hmmmm. Well that's certainly not good. Fortunately, it's not a problem I've run into. But I do have something interesting to report.

In my conversations with RVM, they indicated that they chose not to sleeve the Maxima pulley because UR didn't sleeve its Maxima pulleys at the time RVM was investigating that issue. Under the circumstances, I thought it might be best to send an e-mail to UR asking them if they ever produced an unsleeved Maxima pulley. This was UR's reply:

The Maxima pulley has always had the steel sleeve. If you think your pulley doesn't have one please call me at 631-586-9525 ext.12.

Joe Menechino

I forwarded a copy of UR's reply to RVM.
like i said a few posts back...
Old 04-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Problem with UR UDP

Could UR have a patent on its design?

Someone should send that RVM email about them copying UR's pulley to UR.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:20 PM

I just spoke to Joe Menechino in Technical Support at UR and he reiterated that UR NEVER made an unsleeved pulley for the Nissan Maxima. Just for laughs and giggles, I asked Joe if UR would be willing to offer a discount for the purchase of a UR UDP in exchange for a damaged RVM UDP. He said he'd check with his sales department and let me know.

Under the circumstances, it's clear that either RVM or UR is not being truthful about whether or not every UR Nissan Maxima UDP ever produced is sleeved. Unless RVM can produce a genuine unsleeved UR UDP, the benefit of the doubt must go to UR.

I'm going to send a PM to the Group Deals Forum moderators asking them to lock the RVM thread in the Group Deals forum and add RVM to the "bad seller" list. Perhaps we can help others avoid this unscrupulous retailer.

Good luck to all of us.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Blu
the tits

I'll also send a PM to the moderators at the Parts for Sale Forum to add RVM to the "bad seller" list. Perhaps we can help others avoid this unscrupulous retailer.

Good luck to all of us.
I have already done the same

Quick Reply: RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!