General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 03:50 PM

RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!

well now i had my RVM UDP on for about 3month or so now....

and my car started to have oil leak from the UDP..... so i took it to shop and had them look at it..... and the RVM UDP was had little groove on it which was created by the crank oil seal.... he told me that thisUDP was made of aluminum which is pretty weak material and the oil seal ate through it little.... the shop said they should have some type of steel sleeves on them to protect it....

anyway to make this story short..... what a waste of money to have it put on and to have it taken off...

anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-09-2003, 04:08 PM

I have a problem starting the car. Did you have any problems installing the RVM Udp? It takes a while for my car to start and I got a cel. cranksensor code.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by 99maximagxe
I have a problem starting the car. Did you have any problems installing the RVM Udp? It takes a while for my car to start and I got a cel. cranksensor code.
Judgin by your screen name, I take it you have a '99? Check your UDP to make sure it has a timing ring on it. If it does not, there lies your problem. The 2k2+ do not have this timing ring.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:20 PM

Neh It's just dumb name. Since someone took virus I just
added 99

But my car is I35 2002 and i had the new crank oil seal put on at time of install of UDP.

And about the car starting, I had that problem at the beginning but it went away so i'm not sure and no CEL.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!

Originally posted by virus99
well now i had my RVM UDP on for about 3month or so now....

and my car started to have oil leak from the UDP..... so i took it to shop and had them look at it..... and the RVM UDP was had little groove on it which was created by the crank oil seal.... he told me that thisUDP was made of aluminum which is pretty weak material and the oil seal ate through it little.... the shop said they should have some type of steel sleeves on them to protect it....

anyway to make this story short..... what a waste of money to have it put on and to have it taken off...

anyone else have this problem?
Another reason I never skimp when it comes to performance mods.. In the end you get what you payed for. All those that have the UDP one have no complaints.. But this is the first that I have heard someone having problems with the RVM. Did you call them and ask?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!

Please keep us updated, especially since I am going to install the RVM UDP in the next two weeks or so.

Where do we get this steel sleeve?

Thanks!

Armand

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Another reason I never skimp when it comes to performance mods.. In the end you get what you payed for. All those that have the UDP one have no complaints.. But this is the first that I have heard someone having problems with the RVM. Did you call them and ask?
Old 04-10-2003, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

Judgin by your screen name, I take it you have a '99? Check your UDP to make sure it has a timing ring on it. If it does not, there lies your problem. The 2k2+ do not have this timing ring.
what does the timing ring look like??
Old 04-10-2003, 05:30 AM

i should be installing mine end of this week when it comes in, and hope theres no problems. will the pulley add more power that my slipping clutch will need to be changed even sooner?
Old 04-10-2003, 07:14 AM

i had the same problem but didn't see anyone with same problem so i never posted it and thought it had to do with my car or something. i got in the first GD when they first came out. when u look at the UDP after it's been ran for while. it has little indentation in the pully made by the oil seal from rubbing.

also i have asked my friend who's a machanic and he said those steel sleves were used on some old cars with lot's of milage on it b/c even the steel UDP get indentation due to oil seal in long run so instead of getting new parts they came out with really thin steel plate that u would put around the pully and he said u have to sand paper down the pulley where the indentation is made so that the sleeve will fit right.

so i'm back to my stock pulley.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by 99maxi

what does the timing ring look like??
it's a metal ring screwed on to the pulley and it has notches in it for the cam sensor to read...
Old 04-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

it's a metal ring screwed on to the pulley and it has notches in it for the cam sensor to read...
Crank sensor.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:01 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Crank sensor.
my bad

thanks
Old 04-10-2003, 08:05 AM

i just noticed it but the other guy who had it was also I35...

may be it's just happening for the I35... not sure...
Old 04-10-2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by 99maximagxe

I also had some problems starting the car. it's a bit better now, but still some lag. Also have sensor code.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:20 AM

You are suppose to make sure that the steel ring is on the pulley before you install it. RVM specifically states this on the instruction sheet included.
They may have ****ed up and not included it, but you should have noticed that before installing the pulley.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by araffio
You are suppose to make sure that the steel ring is on the pulley before you install it. RVM specifically states this on the instruction sheet included.
They may have ****ed up and not included it, but you should have noticed that before installing the pulley.
where do we get the steel ring from??
Old 04-10-2003, 10:24 AM

where do we get the steel ring from??
RVM I'd assume. My pulley already had a ring on it, like they all should
Old 04-10-2003, 10:27 AM

was the steel rign seperate?? because i don't think mine has one..
Old 04-10-2003, 11:18 AM

was the steel rign seperate?? because i don't think mine has one..
No, it was attached. The obviously did not put it on. Call, complain, and have them ship you one free of charge
Old 04-10-2003, 11:25 AM

Mine never had that steel ring wtf? is that like the steel sleeves that my machanic was talking about that protect it from the oil seal?
Old 04-10-2003, 11:32 AM

Can someone post pictures of this crap the pulley is supposed to have like the timing ring, steel ring? I have the pulley also but don't know what to look for. thanks
Old 04-10-2003, 11:57 AM

picture would help, i wanna be sure what i have to do befroe i install it. And if RVM mad the pulley and didn't include the stell ring, then im pretty sure they probally dont have it, anyone know a part # or were to get one?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:26 PM

This is a UR UDP, but it should look the same. No problems here
-hype
Old 04-10-2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by greenmax95se
picture would help, i wanna be sure what i have to do befroe i install it. And if RVM mad the pulley and didn't include the stell ring, then im pretty sure they probally dont have it, anyone know a part # or were to get one?
don't think there is any part number for it... b/c shop person told me to go by auto part store and take the pulley in and ask for some type of steel sleeve to put on the pulley..... and those sleeves were popular with older cars where pulley has gone bad due to the fact that it's old pulley and instead of replacing the whole pulley... they just insert the steel sleeve......
i'm going to stop by the auto part store and see if they have any input....
Old 04-10-2003, 12:34 PM

UDP Pulley

This is the UDP Pulley I got from RVM

This is the close up of the area where the pulley meets the crank. Do you notice the burrings? Is this the problem area?

Old 04-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

if it's going to wear it's going to wear here..

a steel sleeve is just a piece that goes OVER that outter part
Old 04-10-2003, 12:58 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=pulley
some better pics of other pulleys... notice the stainless steel sleeve and the copper one.. that is what we are missing..
Old 04-10-2003, 01:10 PM

I get it.

So now it's up to us (who has not installed the pulley yet) to find those bronze/steel bushing to attach to the outer part of the pulley.

Thank you for clarifying this.

My next question, where we could find these "rings"?
Any autoparts store?

What about the clearance with the oil seal? Will this be a problem?

some better pics of other pulleys... notice the stainless steel sleeve and the copper one.. that is what we are missing..
Old 04-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

stainless is nice.
what they said about steel...that's not entirely true...since the part that's on the seal is constantly moving rust usually won't form on there...and that's the main part that you're concerned about.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:41 PM

DanNY,

Will this steel/stainless steel ring avalable from "normal" auto parts store? Will I need to find something that fit tight, or more like a bit loose?

Originally posted by DanNY

stainless is nice.
what they said about steel...that's not entirely true...since the part that's on the seal is constantly moving rust usually won't form on there...and that's the main part that you're concerned about.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:54 PM

Sigh...time for a call to RVM.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:38 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: I get it.

Originally posted by ardika

My next question, where we could find these "rings"?
Any autoparts store?

What about the clearance with the oil seal? Will this be a problem?

No parts store is likely to have such a thing. If you did ever get one you would be left with two problems. One, it would need to be pressed on. This means no hammer . Two, the oil seal clearance would certainly be a problem but only depending on the diameter of the new ring since the oil seal will allow for some minute amounts of diameter change. You may have to take the pulley to a machine shop and let them put the pulley on a lathe.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:50 PM

Re: Re: I get it.

Now I am rethinking my plan to go to NYC driving...

Originally posted by SR20DEN

No parts store is likely to have such a thing. If you did ever get one you would be left with two problems. One, it would need to be pressed on. This means no hammer . Two, the oil seal clearance would certainly be a problem but only depending on the diameter of the new ring since the oil seal will allow for some minute amounts of diameter change. You may have to take the pulley to a machine shop and let them put the pulley on a lathe.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: I get it.

Originally posted by SR20DEN

yup you'll need a machine shop to mill down the pulley. then machine a sleeve to fit over that pulley. then have a press and press that sleeve on to the pulley.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:36 PM

from DaNNY's post
http://shadysport.homestead.com/files/pulleycrnk.jpg

That is the exact place where the indentation is due to the oil seal.
Which is causing it to leak oil. And I have called the RVM and they said it was due to the fact that when the bolt was bolted in they prob. used air tool and bolted it too tight.
So my question is using the air gun and not using the torque wrench, Will it cause it to make those indentation on the UDP?
or does over torqueing the UDP cause other problem?
Old 04-10-2003, 08:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: I get it.

$$$$$$$ -----> labor

Originally posted by DanNY

yup you'll need a machine shop to mill down the pulley. then machine a sleeve to fit over that pulley. then have a press and press that sleeve on to the pulley.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Shoooter_j
Sigh...time for a call to RVM.
well if u get them to say they will provide the steel sleeves

let us know.... b/c i couldn't....
Old 04-11-2003, 05:22 AM

it seems like a lot of people have the pulleys but u are the only one to have the oil leak.. how many have installed it and have no problems??
Old 04-11-2003, 06:47 AM

may be it's that it don't work well with Infiniti I35...

b/c i also had the same problem so i had to put the stock pulley back on..... but i was told by RVM that we wouldn't have any problem with it... but oh well... modding takes risk....
Old 04-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by virus99
from DaNNY's post
http://shadysport.homestead.com/files/pulleycrnk.jpg

That is the exact place where the indentation is due to the oil seal.
Which is causing it to leak oil. And I have called the RVM and they said it was due to the fact that when the bolt was bolted in they prob. used air tool and bolted it too tight.
So my question is using the air gun and not using the torque wrench, Will it cause it to make those indentation on the UDP?
or does over torqueing the UDP cause other problem?
it doesn't matter how tight the pulley it on the crank it still shouldn't leak.

if the pulley is a little looser (slightly farther out) it'll still create the grooves and leak..just the grooves will be a little farther out.

the oil seal is supposed to control the oil coming out...unless the crank pulley is the wrong size it really shouldn't leak since the oil seal is rubber...but if you have/had a bad oil seal or improper installation where it folded or bent the oil seal then you'll definitely have leaks and grooves.

if you're the only one with this problem i'm going to say to check the install.

Quick Reply: RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!