General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

performance vs. looks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Beast Mode!!!

performance vs. looks

while there are many great looking maximas here, and i understand everything is a matter of preference, why do people spend money on stuff like clears and altezzas first? personally speaking, im more concerned with what my car does more than how it looks, and if im pressed for dough and looking to mod id go with the performance mod. i mean even a generic muffler helps, and some of them go for <$100. and for what people spend on altezzas, they could easily get a y-pipe, and spend a little more and have it installed. whats the deal? whats people's take on performance vs. looks?
Old 04-12-2003, 05:56 PM

your money your mods
Old 04-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my money my mods

o ya, btw
Old 04-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Nismo
your money your mods
Old 04-12-2003, 06:07 PM

Re: performance vs. looks

Originally posted by skuccio's max
i understand everything is a matter of preference

Yeah exactly. Some like to go for looks, some speed, and others handling, sound system, whatever.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:32 PM

Most people would take performance over looks. But there are somethings that need to be done no matter what.
and that is getting the car lowered. If it's not lowered it looks stupid.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:16 AM

yeah exactly, people mod their cars to their own taste. even those who are die har performance enthusiasts still get clear corners as their first mod
Old 04-13-2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
my money my mods

o ya, btw
Old 04-13-2003, 01:15 AM
wat

I have always been a proponent of the motto: 'If you make your car LOOK or SOUND fast, it had better BE fast.'

Old 04-13-2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
my money my mods

o ya, btw
Old 04-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: performance vs. looks

Originally posted by Smithdogg1

Yeah exactly. Some like to go for looks, some speed, and others handling, sound system, whatever.
yeah... i agree too.. choose one.. but don't do any stupid mods out there...
Old 04-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by look2me40
I have always been a proponent of the motto: 'If you make your car LOOK or SOUND fast, it had better BE fast.'
How about looking smooth, being quiet, and running fast

My car's motto is speak softly and carry a big

Dave
Old 04-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Handsome

Re: performance vs. looks

Originally posted by skuccio's max
while there are many great looking maximas here, and i understand everything is a matter of preference, why do people spend money on stuff like clears and altezzas first? personally speaking, im more concerned with what my car does more than how it looks, and if im pressed for dough and looking to mod id go with the performance mod. i mean even a generic muffler helps, and some of them go for <$100. and for what people spend on altezzas, they could easily get a y-pipe, and spend a little more and have it installed. whats the deal? whats people's take on performance vs. looks?
Whoa!! touchy subject I admire you for taking a stab at it. I agree with you to an extent but feel that "looks" needs to be defined more. I think anycar usually needs aftermarket wheels and clear corners and a nice suspension set up, I don't think of those as "looks" only people, but someone who is just doing to their car what the stealership and manufacturer should have done in the first place.

However when it comes to neon washer nozzles, strobbing headlights, single windshield wipers, air ride systems, four foot aluminum wings, altezzas and big aggresive bodykits ( especially when their un-painted) I have to think why, maybe there is such a thing as "bub-rub and little sis disease" (if you do not know who they are ask, I'm sure someone has a link.)

This is when I ask myself was a car made to accelerate, handle and brake, or look awkward and get laughed at. Does the joy of owning a nice car come from feeling yourself launched back in the seat while accelerating and feeling G forces pull on you in a tight corner, or does it come from seeing neon flash in front of you?

I do not understand "bub-rub and little sis disease" nor do I want to, now I just say if that's how you want to waist your money go ahead but please don't act like your car is any different than any of the same make and model because the characteristics of it's purpose have not changed (accleration etc.)

Thankfully this disease is slowly dying I think, and hopefully products from companies like APC will be things that we only see once in a blue moon like chrome fender covers. However, the fast and the fuel efficeint II is coming out, and the release of the first was followed by a plague of "bub-rub and little sis disease" so only time will tell.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Handsome

Here is a link to the "bubb rub and little sis disease" websight.

http://www.texastoys.com/site/bubb_rubb_whistle_fan.htm

right click on the video mirror and "save as" to check out what bubbb rub disease is.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:35 PM

so, according to this motto, does every aero kitted maxima with rims need to be blown or fully modded n/a? maximas aren't exactly the fastest out on the road, but we can look good and still get toasted by something faster.
for myself, i've dreamt of boosting but now i'm over it. id rather spend a few extra bucks right now towards new wheels or something, than buying a new catback for my car. neither will make me faster by much.
Originally posted by look2me40

Old 04-14-2003, 01:03 AM

because the stock maxima looked fugly stock. orange corners, amber taillights, 4x4 look with the honeycomb rims is
Old 04-14-2003, 05:46 AM

I did performance before i got into any of that other stuff. But now three years later i am taking the cosmetic stuff out to make for a lighter faster car.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by slammed95

Very true. Like some people swear they have a nice show car, but it's not even lowered! That's whack.
well this is what i think and i speak only of me & my car.

i think for those that are taking an all performance maxima and are hitting 13 sec or less are doing a great job at it. i for one know that it takes alot of money, time & testing to get as fast as you can.

BUT i would not use a maxima for a task like that, i would use a different car like a RX7 or an older car like a 55 chevy and so on.

my reason on spending all my money on looks is because i have 2 kids & a wife and i have to drive them around in my max. i can't get a beater because insurance here in new jersey is high.

having all that said i still get ppl telling me why i still do it. i got my max because i need room for my family. well for those that want to make fun of my car i tell them you only look good for 15 or 14 sec but on the other hand my car that runs in the 20's in a 1/4ml looks good all day & night, it even look good when i put it away and no one is looking at it.

also my car is a good pimping car, you know when all the women are looking at you and your driving slow like 5mph. why would i want to miss out and drive away like a mad man.

as for all the aftermarket companies we need them to keep making new stuff for the max, this is one of the ways we can make our cars look different. we need all the support we can get.

for those that are working hard trying to make there max fast i wish you luck and be safe.

for those that want to make fun of me just call me the rice man.

for all those that are just reading thru buy what you want and like. ( IT'S YOUR MONEY) spend it as you like.

i wouldn't know what i do with-out my cherry air-freshner, my #1 mod.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:46 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by 97GLES
also my car is a good pimping car, you know when all the women are looking at you and your driving slow like 5mph. why would i want to miss out and drive away like a mad man.
I would never want a women that drooled over me because of my car. Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive fast. I like to roll also and I get crap for it from the Kansas City group because I drive like a grandpa around town and on the highway. However, when I get the chance, I'll open her up because there's nothing quite like winding out the VQ, listening to the motor at full boil, feeling yourself getting pushed back in the seat, and banging away on the gears. You're definately missing out

Dave
Old 04-14-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

I would never want a women that drooled over me because of my car. Just because you have a fast car doesn't mean you have to drive fast. I like to roll also and I get crap for it from the Kansas City group because I drive like a grandpa around town and on the highway. However, when I get the chance, I'll open her up because there's nothing quite like winding out the VQ, listening to the motor at full boil, feeling yourself getting pushed back in the seat, and banging away on the gears. You're definately missing out

Dave
Dave B
i'm really not missing out i had 3 5.0's, bmw conv & a RX7 & 3 motorcycles and others. i know what it is to run fast. i alway wanted a 454 all done up with a blower but my time is up i have a family now unless i hit the lotto. it might even be that i'm getting old.

but it's ok my max still gets up to about 80mph

sad part is that i never get to go to any shows to see what ppl really have to say about my car.

and yes i do have some perf mods:

cone intake w/ mid-pipe
obx strut bar (almost 1" thick)
stillen y-pipe
obx s.s. catback system
apex springs
agx shocks
front cross drilled & slotted rotors
w/ metal master pads
addco rear sway bar
and my cherry air-freshner

the rest is all for show.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:46 AM

I will probably only get a Y-Pipe, Springs, and Struts for the car with what I have on it now being: stillen cone w/mid pipe, RSB, and FSTB. This is because when it all boils down: the Maxima is a four door family sedan. It is a fast four door family sedan but, it is not a 350Z. I won't spend $3000 on a turbo for the Max when I can use that money as a down payment on a 350Z. Just my $.02
Old 04-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Handsome

It would have been interesting if in the fast and the fuel efficient when the orange supra pulled up next to the ferrari, if after the guy in the ferrari had said "more than you can afford pall" and then Vin Diesel said "smoke em" paul walker would have said "oh yeah, well can your car do this" and turned on some flashing neon, or an air ride system, or said "my wing is bigger than yours" because he had spent all his money on worthless crap rather making his car the slightest bit faster.

Seriously though this did happen to me. This guy pulled up next to me in a riced out mirage and reved at me, I dropped it in to first and smoked him, then after I slowed down he pulls up behind me and turns his big bass stereo way up, and all this neon starts flashing in his car, he pulls up next to me with a big smile on his face and was nodding like he just smoked me in the 1/4 mile, all I could do was laugh my @$$ off at him.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
your money your mods
true....I know I am happy with my maxima
Old 04-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Old Maxima Legend

performance

performance and handling is the place to start.. it makes the overall experience more enjoyable .. thats what im trying to accomplish ..just started this year with the max .. so i think when you add an intake and replace the stock exhaust components like y, b and muffler ..you get a boost in performance and sound which makes driving even better, then when the car gets dropped with springs and the addition of aftermarket shocks . you have a better handling vehicle that once again becomes even a more pleasure to drive. there may be a max on every corner but does it sound like yours, drive life yours, ride like yours ? There is also the selection of tires and rims you can put on your ride... while im going to eventually buy the shoes ..im going to hang on to the stock tires and rims ... but even with tires and rims are you going show or go ? im going go ! light rims and a nice sticky tires.

For someone like me.. I like a well rounded vehicle. I already have more than enough sound. And would really like to add more power to the max but whats left. Theres noway im going Supercharge or turbo . just to much money .. if im lucky i ill grab an act clutch, a short throw shifter, and underdrive pulley... for performance and fun . im making plans for adding a sarona body kit for looks, half way there on that ...

bottom line: its down to the person and what and how they want to change things .. when i finish the max ...im going to pic a new car to mod, damn guys its just fun ~!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:27 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

blah blah blah

gimme money
Old 04-15-2003, 05:09 PM

dont need much in the way of looks aside from rims being that the 3rd gen looks good enough stock for the most part (no orange tails, 4x4 etc)

so that leaves performance and handling, both of which ill be progressing on this summer