General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

had a race with a vette today

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

had a race with a vette today

Well coming back from my maxima meet today i got a run with a later model corvette don't know the exact year but 91-96 is what it looked like, anyway we where kinda goin back and forth for while cause there where too many cars but we finally get an open stretch i hear him floor it(pretty loud exhaust) any i was about 5 car lengths right behind him at 80 and punch it too, by 120 i had pulled right to his back bumper about 1 car length away hahaha the guy had this strange look on his face when we slowed down and i passed him , too bad we weren't side by side when we went at it, it would have been nice to see the look on him while passing him lol. god that was fun.
Ryan
ooooooo i almost forgot the best part The guys liscence plate said "C yaaaa" lmfao

ohh ya i also raced nigel on the highway and got my A$$ handed to me haha, damn his car is fast
Old 04-12-2003, 09:29 PM

He probably drove to the Chevy dealership to ask them what's wrong with his car
Old 04-12-2003, 09:45 PM

Old 04-12-2003, 10:13 PM

that's funny as hell

aw man. I knew thare were some lying bastards on the web but this is hilarious. So you think you can compete with a corvette? I GUARENTEE YOU THAT THE VETTE WAS HOLDING BACK!! Don't get me wrong the maxima is great, and fast, but the corvette is a wholly differn monster.

but who knows, mabye its true, you're still talking about illegal street racing. hat's just dumb!
Old 04-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Amazing aint it Dafro? I did the same with the new 745i BMW and a new E46 M3 BMW. I didnt pass them but they didnt leave me. They both had the wierdest look on their face.

Dixit
Old 04-12-2003, 10:35 PM

Good race. Those cars are low 14 second monsters stock. My buddy has a 91 Auto and when he was stock he ran a 14.1
Old 04-12-2003, 10:35 PM

Re: that's funny as hell

Originally posted by kingcarnage
aw man. I knew thare were some lying bastards on the web but this is hilarious. So you think you can compete with a corvette? I GUARENTEE YOU THAT THE VETTE WAS HOLDING BACK!! Don't get me wrong the maxima is great, and fast, but the corvette is a wholly differn monster.

but who knows, mabye its true, you're still talking about illegal street racing. hat's just dumb!

Old 04-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I believe him. Chances are he raced 88-91 Vette with the L98. The L98 was a torque monster and pulled 14.1-14.4@98mph stock with the auto. The L98s problem was topend. It lacked much pull after 100mph compared to the LT1 (higher 13s@103mph+) and especially the new body C5 with the LS1 (lower 13s@106mph+).

I had an encounter with a late 80s C4 last weekend. I saw his headlights coming up quickly and heard his aftermarket exhaust roaring. We caught the light and on the green I took off briskly and he matched it. Then I heard the roar of his exhaust and I mashed the gas in 1st at 4500rpms. Thank God I had my 17s on because I didn't spin a bit. I grabbed 2nd and kept my foot on it. Not once did he ever get past my door (stayed in my blindspot and further back the faster we went). As I landed into 2nd gear my wife is like "wtf are you doing?". As I topped 2nd (~70mph) I said "goodbye Mr. Vette". She looked over as I mashed the brakes while he flew by at WOT. She said "holy crap, you just beat a Vette?. I guess that ECU does do something. Now you think you can beat anyone."

Dave
Old 04-12-2003, 10:56 PM

A while ago I pulled next to a later model C4 black vert. All I have to say is he was gone.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
She said "holy crap, you just beat a Vette?.
you have the coolest wife ever... my girlfriend would have biach slapped me across the head if i would have done that w/ her in the car?!?

mike
Old 04-13-2003, 12:25 AM

lying huh thats why i put down 267hp to the wheels and you don't think i can keep up or slowly walk a older vette, umm do i need a video camera next time for you to beleive me, damn, so i guess the sound of his exhaust roaring is holding back and then why then when i was pulling so close to him was he not getting on it. Dude its funny how know one ever beleives a v6 family sedan with a turbo can't hang with any american v8.

ohh ya bigdogjonx the look on his face was priceless, he was like what the F#ck then he saw the small turbo sticker on the back and just kinda laughed.
Ryan
Old 04-13-2003, 08:04 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

looks like someone failed to see that someone was sportin some boosttt
Old 04-13-2003, 08:10 AM

You are a raving idiot. That is all.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Amazing aint it Dafro? I did the same with the new 745i BMW and a new E46 M3 BMW. I didnt pass them but they didnt leave me. They both had the wierdest look on their face.

Dixit
I wonder if they really could have cared less? In what way did they have a weird look on their face, are you implying they were impressed by the Maxima? People who have $$$ buy those vehicles, they don't have anything to prove.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:15 AM

I was in the same boat as the noob, but then I remembered you were turboed, and it's not even close to far-fetched.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: that's funny as hell

Originally posted by nismos14
looks like someone failed to see that someone was sportin some boosttt
Old 04-13-2003, 08:47 AM

hint: check sig for mods before posting.....

mods: TURBHO, greddy sp, Variable Intake manifold, FSTB, KYB AGX, Intrax springs, Stage II Vb, tranny cooler
Old 04-13-2003, 10:10 AM

I raced a early 90s vette in my stock auto max. I had him up until about 30 and then by 50 he totally blew by me . It was pretty fun though and I think the Max did decent considering it was a vette.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:39 AM

Re: had a race with a vette today

Originally posted by dafro
Well coming back from my maxima meet today i got a run with a later model corvette don't know the exact year but 91-96 is what it looked like, anyway we where kinda goin back and forth for while cause there where too many cars but we finally get an open stretch i hear him floor it(pretty loud exhaust) any i was about 5 car lengths right behind him at 80 and punch it too, by 120 i had pulled right to his back bumper about 1 car length away hahaha the guy had this strange look on his face when we slowed down and i passed him , too bad we weren't side by side when we went at it, it would have been nice to see the look on him while passing him lol. god that was fun.
Ryan
ooooooo i almost forgot the best part The guys liscence plate said "C yaaaa" lmfao

ohh ya i also raced nigel on the highway and got my A$$ handed to me haha, damn his car is fast
I told you about my race with the 91 C4 earlier that day. It was fun wasn't it
Old 04-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Administrator

if Jason can beat a vette then colorado Vettes must be very slow
Old 04-13-2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
I have NX now. Without it he pulls about a half a length on me.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:53 AM

Sprint, correct me if Im wrong, but us turbo-fed cars, we take advantage of the altitude cause the turbo will just work harder to get that much boost in the car.

The vette is at a disadvantage in Colorado with the 5000ft elevation. Dont know how much.

Maybe someone can chime in on how much.

But imsure at Sea level this wouldve been a much different race.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Sprint, correct me if Im wrong, but us turbo-fed cars, we take advantage of the altitude cause the turbo will just work harder to get that much boost in the car.

The vette is at a disadvantage in Colorado with the 5000ft elevation. Dont know how much.

there has been a big debate between matt and nigel about this.. and i have seen the debate on supraforums too. To be honest with you, i don't even know who is right
Old 04-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Canuck

I have NX now. Without it he pulls about a half a length on me.

just yanking your chain canadian boy
Old 04-13-2003, 12:01 PM

there has been a big debate between matt and nigel about this.. and i have seen the debate on supraforums too. To be honest with you, i don't even know who is right
If you look at track times at Bandamere (6000 ft) Turbo cars usually see between .2 and .4 sec difference on from sea level.
NA cars see about a second higher times when the pressure is high.

On a low pressure day the track altitude equivalency can be close to 8000ft.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:40 PM

yes i am at an advantage up hear n/a cars are about a sec slower up hear than at sea level but, turbo cars at the very most see .5 sec loss up hear, it all depends on the size of the turbo, the larger you go the less of a loss there is. but i did pull 4-5 cars on him from behind if i didn't slow down i probably woulda hit him, so it probably would have been even at sea level, just wish we where side by side when we raced.
ryan
Old 04-13-2003, 07:46 PM
Handsome

Re: had a race with a vette today

Originally posted by dafro

What does he have done to his??
Old 04-13-2003, 08:37 PM

Re: Re: had a race with a vette today

Originally posted by Street Reeper

Nice big *** turbo, going bigger as well as strengthened internals.

Dixit
Old 04-13-2003, 09:29 PM

Old 04-14-2003, 12:01 AM

Re: Re: had a race with a vette today

Originally posted by Street Reeper

right now he has a t4/60-1 pushn 10 lbs, compared to my t4/to4e at 6 lbs he has like 170 more hp than me so i kinda expected it.
RYan
Old 04-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yes, turbo cars have an advantage. At altitude, a turbo/SC cars develops it's own atmosphere (pressure) where as the NA car is stuck at ambient pressure. Granted there is less available oxygen available at altitude, the turbo/SC is able to cram more in. Turbo/SC cars will only loose about 30-50% of the power an NA car will. There's a reason why many European makes use turbos....because many of the cars are driven at high altitudes.

Dave
Old 04-14-2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Yes, turbo cars have an advantage. At altitude, a turbo/SC cars develops it's own atmosphere (pressure) where as the NA car is stuck at ambient pressure. Granted there is less available oxygen available at altitude, the turbo/SC is able to cram more in. Turbo/SC cars will only loose about 30-50% of the power an NA car will. There's a reason why many European makes use turbos....because many of the cars are driven at high altitudes.

Dave
Isn't the S/C basically affected the same way an N/A motor is affected, since boost is regulated by engine rpm? (and not a boost controller)
Old 04-14-2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by MAXIN

Isn't the S/C basically affected the same way an N/A motor is affected, since boost is regulated by engine rpm? (and not a boost controller)
Yeap only Turbo cars REALLY gain from that advantage.

Dixit
Old 04-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Got Bent?

Doesn't altitude affect the turbo's efficiency? Even though you have a boost controller to dial in the amount of boost the compressor is putting out, as you increase the altitude, the pressure at the inlet decreases and thereby increases the pressure ratio. If you look on a compressor map, as the pressure ratio increases, the efficiency of the turbo decreases for the same amount of air flow.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
Doesn't altitude affect the turbo's efficiency? Even though you have a boost controller to dial in the amount of boost the compressor is putting out, as you increase the altitude, the pressure at the inlet decreases and thereby increases the pressure ratio. If you look on a compressor map, as the pressure ratio increases, the efficiency of the turbo decreases for the same amount of air flow.
The way I see it the turbo will have to work harder, spin more and maybe push over the surge rate to get the PSI you dialed in.

Dixit
Old 04-14-2003, 01:35 PM

I wonder where carnage is?
Old 04-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Got Bent?

The way I see it the turbo will have to work harder, spin more and maybe push over the surge rate to get the PSI you dialed in.

Dixit
Yeah... wouldn't all that result in slower spool-up and make it more difficult to reach full boost quickly...
Old 04-14-2003, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

Yeah... wouldn't all that result in slower spool-up and make it more difficult to reach full boost quickly...
Yea but take for example you are doing 5psi, and you are then at 5000ft elevation, well it is fairly easy for the turbo to spool upto a little quicker to pack that same 5psi. At lower psi levels you wont feel the slower spool like you would if you were pushing 15-20psi where it would push the turbo WELL over the surge limit.

Dixit
Old 04-15-2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
People who have $$$ buy those vehicles, they don't have anything to prove.

UH Frank....yeah they do. That's why they buy them.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by marcdown20

you have the coolest wife ever... my girlfriend would have biach slapped me across the head if i would have done that w/ her in the car?!?

mike
unless you laid the pipe right before hand

Quick Reply: had a race with a vette today