General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan's Get No Respect..Why?Aftermarket World

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 04:11 PM
Master Will

I have been down with car and truck modding for a while,I read Super Street,Sport Truck,and Minitruckn' Magazines and I go all over the net looking at car and truck sites,SEMA,NOPI,etc,etc... But what upsets me is that if you Have a Nissan-Maxima,Sentras,Altima...You cannot find many aftermarket stuff for them,lights,body kits,dashes etc..in comparison to Honda even Ford Focus,Dodge Neon,Plymoth Breeze,and Chevy truck this and that..Why Nissan has a very limited selection on aftermarket stuff I know people who buy Hondas for one reason they no you can buy everything for them real easy everyone sells Honda stuff even Stealin'(STILLEN)is getting in on it.....If you have a Nissan and want stuff-personnaly I want the Altezzas,Projector Headlights,Euro Clear Side Markers/Clearance Lights/Next to the headlights,I am very proud and happy with my Maxima but sometimes I'm like damn we can't get anything unless you have a Honda or Acura or even a Chevy Astro Van or a Mitsubishi Mirage even.. man it is very unfair and APC sucks big time,they shout a bunch of bull '<ish,maybe one day Nissan will have proper representation,I know we don't want to be ricers or be just like Honda but we could get some stuff like them too man....
I get tired of going to websites and punch in Nissan or Maxima(I have a 1992 Sentra also)and it "says" sorry no items found but then you type in Honda and you can sit back and look at page after page of stuff...Anyone else feel the same what will it take for all Nissan's to get repect in the aftermarket world of accessories the Nissan Trucks get some play but not much you must have an s-10 or Ranger heck even Dodge Dakotas and Rams have stuff too........upsetting.....anyone feel me out there...

NISSAN'S WILL HAVE THEIR DAY.......... WHEN...........................
ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

NISSAN CAR FAMILY-
SENTRA,ALTIMA,MAXIMA......OVERLOOKED STYLE,FUNCTION,and PERFORMANCE

I just wanted to vent my frustrations about this subject....
Old 01-18-2001, 04:17 PM

I understand your fustrations.

When will they learn?
Old 01-18-2001, 04:52 PM

Dam I feel the same ****ingg way!!
yongjun Your double parked too!!
Old 01-18-2001, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
Dam I feel the same ****ingg way!!
yongjun Your double parked too!!

Old 01-18-2001, 05:00 PM

hehehe
I know
Old 01-18-2001, 09:20 PM
tan_camry

YOu're not alone...us Toyota folks are tired of this crap also. At least SCC doesn't give up on the Sentra SE-R like how they did for the Corolla (due to the lack of parts).

If we annoy the companies long enough, they may give in and start making parts for us.

Heck I'm suprised Stillen is taking interest in the camrys opposed to the Celicas.

Old 01-18-2001, 10:01 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by tan_camry
YOu're not alone...us Toyota folks are tired of this crap also. At least SCC doesn't give up on the Sentra SE-R like how they did for the Corolla (due to the lack of parts).

If we annoy the companies long enough, they may give in and start making parts for us.

Heck I'm suprised Stillen is taking interest in the camrys opposed to the Celicas.
arent rod millen ant steve millen brothers or something? maybe it's cuz of that rod millen has the 500hp awd celica, and stillen doesnt have squat.
Old 01-19-2001, 05:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by tan_camry

Hey, at least you guys have TRD. NISMO? haha...yeah right; maybe in the near future. Even though Toyota owners don't have the products and support that Honda owners have, you guys are doing a whole lot better than us Nissan owners. If you have a 300ZX or 240SX, at least you can get some parts like a turbo. Maxima, Sentra, Altima are left out of the party.
Old 01-19-2001, 07:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

No offense to anyone here, but all the mods listed above are the typical "riceboy" mods. If you want different guages then get them out of a trashed SE. Euro fender turn signals will fit any car. Altezzas (uhhh I hate them) for the 4th gen 95-96 Max are out. I saw them a couple nights ago sitting on the shelf at a local Rice Shop for $225.

There is nearly just as much stuff available for Max's as there is for any other import. The only difference is that Honda's have a lot of overlap in their offerings. There are about 20 different sets of coilovers, 30 different catbacks, 10 different cams,...you get the point.

The Maxima has numerous mods available like a supercharger, NOS, HKS turbo, Y-pipes, catbacks, muffler sections, B-pipes, fuel computers, torque converters, tranny upgrades, intakes, sway bars, strut towers, bushings, coil overs, springs, brakes, rotors, seats, tons of interior accessories, etc.

We don't have cams available like the Honda guys, but who would want to spend about $1500 for 4 cams plus install on a Maxima? Cam sprokets are useless on the Max because we have a timing chain and the timing is controlled by the ECU. The same can be said for advancing the timing. Hondas can also do hybrid engine swaps, stroke motors, and interchange many parts between different motors. Those are the only advantages I see to owning a Honda.

Simply put, most of the aftermarket Honda stuff is just gross duplication.

Dave
Old 01-19-2001, 08:26 AM

i agree.

Originally posted by Dave B
No offense to anyone here, but all the mods listed above are the typical "riceboy" mods. If you want different guages then get them out of a trashed SE. Euro fender turn signals will fit any car. Altezzas (uhhh I hate them) for the 4th gen 95-96 Max are out. I saw them a couple nights ago sitting on the shelf at a local Rice Shop for $225.

There is nearly just as much stuff available for Max's as there is for any other import. The only difference is that Honda's have a lot of overlap in their offerings. There are about 20 different sets of coilovers, 30 different catbacks, 10 different cams,...you get the point.

The Maxima has numerous mods available like a supercharger, NOS, HKS turbo, Y-pipes, catbacks, muffler sections, B-pipes, fuel computers, torque converters, tranny upgrades, intakes, sway bars, strut towers, bushings, coil overs, springs, brakes, rotors, seats, tons of interior accessories, etc.

We don't have cams available like the Honda guys, but who would want to spend about $1500 for 4 cams plus install on a Maxima? Cam sprokets are useless on the Max because we have a timing chain and the timing is controlled by the ECU. The same can be said for advancing the timing. Hondas can also do hybrid engine swaps, stroke motors, and interchange many parts between different motors. Those are the only advantages I see to owning a Honda.

Simply put, most of the aftermarket Honda stuff is just gross duplication.

Dave
Old 01-19-2001, 09:13 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I like the fact that a lot of Rice Boys think my car is slow. It's really fun when you're at the track and you smoke a hybrid Civic that was pushed to the staging line. Those have got to be the best.

Dave
Old 01-19-2001, 01:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you guys also have to understand that there is no reason that APC or others would make stuff for our cars if we don't buy it. I mean, it doesn't make sense for a company to spend time and money r & d'ing new lights for our cars if they're going to sell... 10 units. Like doug said, how many modded maximas do you see on the street? Just because there's 1500 people on this board doesn't mean there's a lot of modded maximas. Nissan sells a heck of a lot more than 1500 maximas.

Also, don't say it's the chicken and egg thing. Many Maxima owners are cheap. Plain and simple. Everyone wants these parts, but what happens when they're offered? Where are those people then? Cheston and Nabil put a lot of time into getting reprogrammed ECU's for our cars and what happened when it came time to pay up? People wouldn't pay the $400 for one. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WAS DYNO'D TO PRODUCE AROUND 20 + HP FOR $400 and people were arguing, saying they wanted more dyno proof before they'd pay. ****, if the ecu even made half of what they claimed it'd be well worth it.

You guys have to udnerstand that the only way to encourage companies to make parts is with your wallets (and purses... )

Not trying to flame, just showing a different side.

Chris
Old 01-19-2001, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i agree with the fact that performance parts are out there. but parts that this guy is looking for are mostly all ricey parts anyways, so there is not going to be alot of people interested in them. i dont understand where he is coming from about not being able to find body kits, dash kits, and lights, all can be found easily. so really only thing that he wants is those damn ricey altezza lites. buy a honda if u want them please.
Old 01-19-2001, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave B
[I] Altezzas (uhhh I hate them) for the 4th gen 95-96 Max are out. I saw them a couple nights ago sitting on the shelf at a local Rice Shop for $225.

Wow, i didn' know altezza is available for maxima now.. does anyone know where i can get them online?
BTW, I bet altezza will look much better on maxima than Mustang.. hehe..
Old 01-19-2001, 01:54 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Chris-

You must realize that people aren't jumping to buy the UPRD ECU because it truely hasn't been dyno proven to make useable power. Cheston was quick to point out that it made a lot of power on his car, but he was comparing the UPRD ECU dyno to his 97 Max running a 96 ECU without UPRD tuning (his car lost power with the stock 96 ECU). He should have compared the UPRD ECU to his orginal dyno run with the stock 97 ECU. If you compare these numbers, you'll see Cheston's car only gained 4-5 hp thru the midrange and 3hp at peak. That kind of gain is within the error of a dynojet between runs...believe me.

Nabil has yet to make a dynojet run with the UPRD ECU. He's done the Clayton dyno, but not a dynojet. He needs to go back and test on the dynojet that he made his BEFORE UPRD ECU runs.

The UPRD ECU does appear to make some power till about 4000rpms and then it falls off. If you've ever drag raced at the track, you'd know that you really never are below 3500 rpms (ie the UPRD ecu won't do you any good) if you launch right. When you shift to 2nd you're at 4200 rpms which is out of the power gains of the UPRD ECU.

See what I'm getting at? I haven't seen true dyno proof that the UPRD makes useable power and it hasn't been track tested. This is why UPRD doesn't have my money yet. A lot of us don't buy mods because two members busted their humps to get a mod out into the market. We just can't go on faith. We need proof.

Dave