General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips

I finally got a chance to drop my tranny for the 4th time and install a new clutch and the fidenza flywheel.

My opinion about it,

1. I love it
2. Gas mileage went up in traffic (was a local VIP @ chevron)
Not no more.
3. The RPM gauge the needle does not drop down like a brick.
4. When I press on the gas it feels so much smoother.
5. I hit boost in third gear @ 2500RPMS I am @ 0HGs just normally pressing on the gas basically the engine revs faster.

Do I regret not getting this mod sooner? Yes I do I should have got this a long time ago.

Now the install part:

1. theres a gear thats goes on the back of the stock flywheel, it uses about 8-11, 14MM bolts, you may need a impact wrench or bench vise to remove these bolts. Once you get that off you put it on the fidenza flywheel, I believe I used 3 fat phillips screwdrivers I centered it on there since the stock flywheel has three notches that the fidenza does not have.

2.. the motor the big shaft that the fidenza will slide onto its slightly bigger then the hole on the fidenza.

Do not use a rubber mallet to slam that **** onto the motor because chances are you will think is on and you hit that bisch one good time and it falls and da mm nearly chopping my right index finger off since it still weighs over 9lbs hint hint.

3. Align the flywheel to all the holes that are threaded. grab the bolts that hold the flywheel while holding the flywheel slightly thread all the bolts into place all of them.

4. The flywheel wont be seated (why becuase is a very tight fit)
grab the impact setting to the softest setting tighten every bolt a little bit a time. Example with the impact turn the top left bolt a bit then move to the bottom right bolt then to the top right bolt, then to the bottom left bolt little by little and so on. Take your time as you will strip some ****, trust me on this one. Do not set the impact to full setting. You will notice the flywheel start getting closer to the motor. Pull out a bolt to see how much more you have left to go until you get seated all the way in. I messed up I didnt take any pics sorry I was in a bit of a rush. You can put a little bit of grease in the center but just a bit just to get a bit slippery. After removing one bolt to see how far you have left grab your nifty Snap on Impac and crank it to 3 and tighten them suckers all the way using the star pattern etc.. Thats all I have. I hope this helps for all DIYers.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:03 PM

Yeah i just ordered a bunch of crap including an exedy clutch and fidenza wheel and your write up is making me impatient. I want it now, now, now
Old 04-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

BASTARD!!!!!!!

You suck!

That bish was mine! Glad you like it.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Cumalittle

when i bought a stock flywheel the flywheel fits was as u stated pretty damn tight...along w/ the ring that came w/ it...wat i did instead was shaved off just a lil bit so it can go in and out w/ ease...cuz when i tried to tapped in onto the shaft it got stuck and i couldn't remove it...after a couple of hours of yanking and pulling i was able to get it off...i use a drill bit and drill and just went in circles for about 10 min...problem fixed...

Old 04-14-2003, 04:02 PM

Mine is waiting in the garage for me to drop the tranny.

Old 04-14-2003, 04:27 PM

Good work, check out the sig
Old 04-14-2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Cumalittle
when i bought a stock flywheel the flywheel fits was as u stated pretty damn tight...along w/ the ring that came w/ it...wat i did instead was shaved off just a lil bit so it can go in and out w/ ease...cuz when i tried to tapped in onto the shaft it got stuck and i couldn't remove it...after a couple of hours of yanking and pulling i was able to get it off...i use a drill bit and drill and just went in circles for about 10 min...problem fixed...
Shaving it off, that was not an even an option. You said it took you hours this took a couple of patient mins
Old 04-14-2003, 04:40 PM

Re: BASTARD!!!!!!!

Originally posted by IceY2K1
You suck!

I sat on that flywheel for a long time thinking you was getting it for sure but you never did. I then emailed and called him and told him do you still have this? he said yes gimme your paypal account Ill take it since is been posted for over 3 weeks and no one wants it, but little that I know you was getting it for $200. No big deal I got let me see $375-$320=$55 off retail, I still got a discount shipped and I am the mechanic so thats a plus savings of over $395.00.

That bish was mine! Glad you like it.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:48 PM

Re: Re: BASTARD!!!!!!!

Originally posted by JAY25

Oh well, at least its getting put to use, because it would have been a closet trophy for awhile in my house.

Have fun!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: BASTARD!!!!!!!

Oh well, at least its getting put to use, because it would have been a closet trophy for awhile in my house.

Have fun!
I just installed it last weekend so I sat on that sucker for a while digging a okay price on a ACT which I ran into once again.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Cumalittle

Shaving it off, that was not an even an option. You said it took you hours this took a couple of patient mins
y is it not an option for u??? was it not an option because u chose it not to be?? i mean wat i shaved off was not even a teaspoon of dust...just enuff to whea it comes on and off w/ ease...

Old 04-14-2003, 05:03 PM

y is it not an option for u??? was it not an option because u chose it not to be?? i mean wat i shaved off was not even a teaspoon of dust...just enuff to whea it comes on and off w/ ease...
well since you did that it will smoothly come off now. I was under the impression you shaved alot but since it was a small amount the way you describe it your fine.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Cumalittle

well since you did that it will smoothly come off now. I was under the impression you shaved alot but since it was a small amount the way you describe it your fine.
with the procedure that u describe..w/ that tite of a fit...u mite have some problems removing the flywheel when u intend to do it...

Old 04-14-2003, 07:29 PM

with the procedure that u describe..w/ that tite of a fit...u mite have some problems removing the flywheel when u intend to do it...
yeah you have a good point there. I usually have solutions for small problems like that. But on that same note didnt you just say that the new metal one was a tight fit? It slid out by wobbling it out so hopefully it will be the same thing I hope.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Cumalittle

yeah you have a good point there. I usually have solutions for small problems like that. But on that same note didnt you just say that the new metal one was a tight fit? It slid out by wobbling it out so hopefully it will be the same thing I hope.
both were a tite fit...i initially had tapped it in w/ a hammer...then the holes didn't exactly lined up...it took me forever to wiggle/pull it out...so then i took a drill and went around the circles a couple of minutes then it fitted perfect...but i'm sure when u're ready to remove it for wateva reason...patience will eventually prevail...

Old 04-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Sin

Re: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips

Jay25,

"3. The RPM gauge the needle does not drop down like a brick."

That simply is illogical. You have now lessened the rotating mass, and therefore the energy that is resisted upon by the same level of friction through all the surfaces related to the moving parts in the engine and associated drivetrain.

Your engine should decrease in rpm quicker with a ligter flywheel, all other factors considered.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Cumalittle

"drop down like a brick" is so relative...

Old 04-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Sin

"drop down like a brick" is so relative...
Drop down like a brick implies heavy dense, relatively low drag coefficient object's rate of acceleration as it falls. I would beleive that is definetly relative, but implies heavier then before.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:20 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Sin

Drop down like a brick implies heavy dense, relatively low drag coefficient object's rate of acceleration as it falls. I would beleive that is definetly relative, but implies heavier then before.
Yep. Even with the UDP, I noticed the RPMs dropped a lot quicker. The reduced mass reduces the momentum therefore the RPMs with drop quicker.

Dave
Old 04-15-2003, 12:23 AM

I think he's saying is...

it's not as bad as some people generalized it to be. I have a UDP on my Max and I noticed it does rev up and down a faster and with more response. It's not very dramatic but it was noticable for awhile. I think with the lightened flywheel, we've all heard of other applications where the rev response can impair the practical drivablity around the streets, but I think everyone with a lightened flywheel on the Maxima have had nothing but good experiences.

Keep in mind, the mass is not reduced in half...the Fidanza, Stillen, Mueller, and Unorthodox flywheels do weigh a lot less, but the outer surrounding piece of the stock flywheel is reused with the lightened application.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:53 AM
Sin

I agree, it's probably nor significantly different. However, he was still experiencing what is impossible. Either there is inaccuracy in his ability to sense differences in the way his car is operating, or there is something inherently wrong about what was installed.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Sin
I agree, it's probably nor significantly different. However, he was still experiencing what is impossible. Either there is inaccuracy in his ability to sense differences in the way his car is operating, or there is something inherently wrong about what was installed.

Ill video tape the ****, drives just fine if you granny shift the gears meaning you shift very slowly yes theyll come down but the car keeps on moving at normal speeds.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:58 AM

Re: Re: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips

Originally posted by Sin
Jay25,

That simply is illogical. You have now lessened the rotating mass, and therefore the energy that is resisted upon by the same level of friction through all the surfaces related to the moving parts in the engine and associated drivetrain.

Your engine should decrease in rpm quicker with a ligter flywheel, all other factors considered.

what you think is going to drop from 6500 to 2000 in one shift? no is not. It drops 300-1000 RPMs driving it normally. I paid more attention to the RPM gauge this morning. I am going to the track so far I cant get no traction this is not going to make it any better we will see if I trap higher then 104.?MPH and see if I can get better then a 13.8 which that I ran on street tires and 18's.

why do you guys down talk the alloy flywheel?

is it because is a bit*ch dropping the tranny to do it, b) the 5 quarts of redline oil @ over $9 a quart and replacing the two $14 seals?

if you guys were in Atl I have mastered the art of tranny dropping just bring it my way.

Dave if you think your RPM needle drops from 5100-7K fast, with the ME VI with this it will drop much faster. I am tired this morning but if I can get a camcorder Ill try to rig it up. You guys can come up with your own conclusions etc.. specially you all motor guys which are Dave and Nealoc, I am going to try and redyno thats more money I have to cough up. I am @ 298 miles I think break period is 300 for the clutch so I started to drive it a bit more normal. I have not been to the gas station since wednesday of last week I am usually there twice a week.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Cumalittle

hey mang i don't think u have to prove anything to anyone...if they doubt u then they doubt u...don't have to go out ur way and waste ur money unnecessarily just to prove someone's skeptic...

Old 04-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

hey mang i don't think u have to prove anything to anyone...if they doubt u then they doubt u...don't have to go out ur way and waste ur money unnecessarily just to prove someone's skeptic...
It's simple physics in action, my friend.

Dave
Old 04-15-2003, 08:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Also depends on how balanced the motor is. That might make a difference. If you happened to have a well balanced motor from the factory, I bet the revs won't want to drop as fast. Just guess.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install w

what you think is going to drop from 6500 to 2000 in one shift? no is not. It drops 300-1000 RPMs driving it normally. I paid more attention to the RPM gauge this morning. I am going to the track so far I cant get no traction this is not going to make it any better we will see if I trap higher then 104.?MPH and see if I can get better then a 13.8 which that I ran on street tires and 18's.

why do you guys down talk the alloy flywheel?

is it because is a bit*ch dropping the tranny to do it, b) the 5 quarts of redline oil @ over $9 a quart and replacing the two $14 seals?

if you guys were in Atl I have mastered the art of tranny dropping just bring it my way.

Dave if you think your RPM needle drops from 5100-7K fast, with the ME VI with this it will drop much faster. I am tired this morning but if I can get a camcorder Ill try to rig it up. You guys can come up with your own conclusions etc.. specially you all motor guys which are Dave and Nealoc, I am going to try and redyno thats more money I have to cough up. I am @ 298 miles I think break period is 300 for the clutch so I started to drive it a bit more normal. I have not been to the gas station since wednesday of last week I am usually there twice a week.
I am all motor and will be adding the fidanza (soon as it gets off backorder) and ACT very soon. Can't WAIT!!!!

I will also be adding the UDP soon after. As for the sceptics... who cares? lol
Old 04-15-2003, 09:06 AM

good point

either they believe it or not. Physics is brought to the equation. I like the mod, I did the labor myself what did I have to lose? nothing. My opinion is there, I may let others drive the car or ride with me they can come up with their own opinion whether is good or not they will still be my friends is only an opinion. I put my little write up up there. When I have time Ill dyno it.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Re: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips

what you think is going to drop from 6500 to 2000 in one shift? no is not. It drops 300-1000 RPMs driving it normally. I paid more attention to the RPM gauge this morning.
Well it shouldn't drop 4500rpms in one shift unless you shift really slow. Overall, I don't have any real driveability problems with the UDP and I'd imagine the flywheel wouldn't make things that more dramatic, but the truth is the rpms will fall quicker with lightened rotational weight. There's no way around it. What's the flywheel shed over the stocker? Maybe 4-5 lbs? That's not terribly significant. The things I noticed with the UDP were:

1) Smooth starts are little harder to come by
2) Smooth slower downshifts are harder to come by
3) Rev matching is a little harder
4) RPMs drop quicker when I'm at the track. It takes more effort to hang the rpms up while I'm getting ready to launch.

Dave
Old 04-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Cumalittle

no doubt rpm will drop w/ lighten flywheel...but my point was "dropping like a brick" is so relative...

Old 04-15-2003, 12:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips

Originally posted by Dave B

What's the flywheel shed over the stocker? Maybe 4-5 lbs? That's not terribly significant.
Fidanza flywheel is ~10lbs., the UR flywheel is ~5lbs, and the stocker is ~18lbs 7oz.. That amount of weight IS significant.

ericdwong(using Got Rice?'s equation) calculated the "reduction in first gear is equivalent of removing 153.8 pounds of static weight", but that also decreases in taller gears.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips

Originally posted by Sin
Jay25,

I agree. Less inertia acting against engine braking during shifts should make the engine drop rpm faster. Same reason in reverse why the engine revs up faster.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:52 PM

no doubt rpm will drop w/ lighten flywheel...but my point was "dropping like a brick" is so relative...
I understand what they are saying but the RPM needle does not go from 3500 to 700 in one shift. But go figure say it drops 1500RPMS the engine reving back up is so much faster what you loose you make up on the next shift. In either case so far my dyno is @ 321HP 260Lbs of Torque, lets see what will it be next dyno and Ill leave it at that.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Sin

No one is doubting increases in performance, just that what you report is impossible if done correctly. It just doesn't make sense that the rpms would drop faster with a stock flywheel compared to a lightened flywheel with all other factors being identical. Your engine rpm should decrease faster now with the lighter flywheel.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Cumalittle

Originally posted by Sin
No one is doubting increases in performance, just that what you report is impossible if done correctly. It just doesn't make sense that the rpms would drop faster with a stock flywheel compared to a lightened flywheel with all other factors being identical. Your engine rpm should decrease faster now with the lighter flywheel.
ok maybe hook on phonics ain't working for meeh...but whea did he say the stock flywheel rpm drop faster???

Old 04-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Sin

Read the original post.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Cumalittle

Originally posted by Sin
Read the original post.
1. I love it
Not no more.
5. I hit boost in third gear @ 2500RPMS I am @ 0HGs just normally pressing on the gas basically the engine revs faster.

no sir...don't see it...only thing stated was "does not drop down like a brick"...the way i translate this is that it does drop but doesn't drop so dramatically that it's unbearable for daily driving...

Old 04-15-2003, 06:01 PM

no sir...don't see it...only thing stated was "does not drop down like a brick"...the way i translate this is that it does drop but doesn't drop so dramatically that it's unbearable for daily driving...
he got it, the car is/can be normally daily driven. Believe me if not no one would be buying alloy flywheels. Alloy flywheels would not be made if that was the case.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:05 AM

1. I love it
Not no more.

Oh. I get it, now.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/t

Fidanza flywheel is ~10lbs., the UR flywheel is ~5lbs, and the stocker is ~18lbs 7oz.. That amount of weight IS significant.

ericdwong(using Got Rice?'s equation) calculated the "reduction in first gear is equivalent of removing 153.8 pounds of static weight", but that also decreases in taller gears.
If the UR flywheel is lighter, what is the advantage to the Fidanza, if any?? Build quality? Cheaper? This is not to say that lighter is better, because that is not always the case.

Quick Reply: Installed the Fidenza flywheel, here is my opinoin and how the install went w/tips