General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Bad shaking at speeds 50+. Tires? Suspension? Alignment? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 07:01 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Bad shaking at speeds 50+. Tires? Suspension? Alignment? HELP!!!

I recently installed H&Rs and Tokicos. I also rotated my tires from front to back. Following the install I have been experincing a shaking in the steering wheel at different speeds over 50 MPH.

Thinking that it was alignment I took it in to have the standard post-suspension install alignment. Long story short, I did not have it done, but when I mentioned that I was having steering vibesthey said that it might be a balance issue in my tires. I had purchased a lifetime balance option when I bought the tires so I had them re-do the balance on the tires.

When I picked it up they said that 3 of the 4 tires were out of balance so I assumed that things would be fine.

Prior to the re-balance I had a shaking @ 62-68, then again over 74. Now I get a shake at closer to 52-53 and extending up to the high 50s, then again @ 62-63. It is really frustrating.

So here are my questions-

If before the suspension install I had no problems, and now after the install I do, is there anything that might be installed wrong that could contribute to the shaking?

Should I have the tires rebalanced again? If so should I take it to another shop?

Could it be the alignment that is causing the shaking?

Should I try to move the rear tires back up front?

Help! I have to take a roadtrip next weekend and I would really like to have this sorted out before I drive 1000 miles...
Old 04-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Hmm...could be the tires. You can probably rule out alignment on this one, a bad alignment won't necessary cause shaking or vibrating but more a pull one way or the other. The first thing to do would be to move the rear tires back up front and see if that alleviates the vibration. If it does then go back to another shop to have the wheels balanced once again. Explain the problem to the techs and have them check out the tires as well. You could have a bad tire that could be causing the problem.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:46 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

My big fear is that one of the rims that was on the back (and now on the front) is bent. Would that not be something that they woudl look for when they went to balance the tires?

Also, should I take it back to the original shop one more time? I work right across the street from the tire place so they can look at it while I am at work.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Alignment issues don't cause shaking or vibrations.
Your suspension is new, unless you have loose tie rod ends, ball joints or worn out lower control arm bushings, your suspension should be nice and tight.

Vibrations are 99% caused by wheel and tire problems. Balancing, tire problems, broken belts in the tread, tread squirm, bent rims or hubs all cause vibrations.

Have the wheels and tires balanced again. The first time you had it done, it changed the speed which you felt it, which immediately tells me it was your problem, but still isn't fixed correctly. Try another shop, don't go to a chain store, go to someplace that sells high quality wheels and tires. They usually have good equipment thats maintained and calibrated regularly.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:59 AM

What kind of tires are you on? Some tires have a horrible time staying balanced (especially the cheaper brands)...
Old 04-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Guinness
What kind of tires are you on? Some tires have a horrible time staying balanced (especially the cheaper brands)...
Sumitomo HTR+. I am pretty sure that it is not that the tires are unbalancable, because I have had them for 9 months and this was never a problem before.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Alignment issues don't cause shaking or vibrations.
Your suspension is new, unless you have loose tie rod ends, ball joints or worn out lower control arm bushings, your suspension should be nice and tight.

Vibrations are 99% caused by wheel and tire problems. Balancing, tire problems, broken belts in the tread, tread squirm, bent rims or hubs all cause vibrations.

Have the wheels and tires balanced again. The first time you had it done, it changed the speed which you felt it, which immediately tells me it was your problem, but still isn't fixed correctly. Try another shop, don't go to a chain store, go to someplace that sells high quality wheels and tires. They usually have good equipment thats maintained and calibrated regularly.
Thanks. Okay, yo uwil have to bear with me on this one because it may not make sense, and I do not know the right name for this part, but here goes:

When louie (SLC I30t) was changinh my rotors he just whacked the old one off with a hammer because I was not re-using them. So when he was removing the driver's side one the whole axle/driveshaft/whatever it is that comes out of the CV joint came out. We got it back into place w/o a lot of trouble. COuld that not be lined up? Could it have been bent while the rotor was being whacked?

The problem here is that so many things were changed and worked on all at once that the isolation is difficult to make. I see your point on the fact that balancing the tires chaged my vibration point, but I am worried that I still have some underlying structural or mechanical problem that will prevent fixing the shaking solely through tire balancing.

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I was so excited to finally have things right and now little things are killing the moment for me...
Old 04-16-2003, 08:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You rotated front to back. Rotate them back again to see if the vibration goes away or changes.

I've had the CV joint fall apart on one suspension job, it's a PITA to get it back together again. Did you hear and feel the C-Clip click into place when you put the shaft back in? If not, it could still be loose.

You had the joint fall apart within the boot right?

Banging on the old rotor definately did not damage anything except the old rotor.

At this point, rotate the tires again, that will pin point your vibration.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree first thing to do is rotate the tires back to original postions. If vibration goes away, then you know its definetly the rear tires/rims. If vibration still exists, then back to troubleshooting suspension.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:03 AM

You could have a defective tire. Have them check if tire is round or is seperating, or has a high spot. Balancing will not fix these probems.

Also, if lugs were not tightened properly, they could have warped rotors.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:05 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Bgohan
You could have a defective tire. Have them check if tire is round or is seperating, or has a high spot. Balancing will not fix these probems.

I am going to have them check the rims and tires this monday. I hope that the rotors are not warped- I just replaced a warped set of rotors last weekend!
Old 04-19-2003, 05:07 PM
silver99

Originally posted by Bgohan

How do u properly tighten lugs????

Old 03-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by silver99
How do u properly tighten lugs????
Anytime you change something on your suspension you must get an alignment. Also a car out of alignment can i repeat can cause your shimmy and shake. Here is one site that tells you alignment can cause your wheel to shake/shimmy. ( How To Fix The "Shimmy" Or Vibration Of A Steering Wheel | BestTireAndWheelShop.com ) What year is your MAX? The reason i ask is i had a 2004 and 2005 both brand new i got the 2005 because they couldnt get the shimmy/shake out the steering wheel. Got rid of both and settle on a 2006 350Z.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:30 PM

^
~13 YEAR OLD THREAD

buddy
Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It MOST CERTAINLY CAN BE THE ALIGNMENT.

Alignment can certainly be the culprit. Seriously I'm shocked none of you know this. Especially if New tires were just installed. Radial pull can be so great that the toe out on each wheel can effect the rotation and the effect the tread has against the road surface. Two tires pulling at near equal toe out will cause a harmonic resonants​ effect. Ergo a vibration. Think about the two tires pulling the car in opposite directions as it rolls down the road and a few bumps and the oscillating begins causing a vibration. It's very common. And missed a lot. Even some alignments done poorly can cause a vibration (suspension and alignment tech four five​ year)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:48 AM

Captain Obvious strikes again with his spam gun.