General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nissan quality--fuhgetboutih

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 02:21 PM
Johnny

So the battery lasts 30-36 months, rattles start after a few weeks, paint chips off, brand new cars are delivered with rust on the bumper assembly, tranny leaks through switch, center caps discolor, blower motor comes from sentra and squeals on low speed, can't be aligned from 300 miles, clutch whirrs and chatters under 1000 miles, these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm overlooking other defects. I keep telling myself this POS is paid-off, count my blessings. But when I look down at my cheap fake leather seats, one where the lumbar support broke when the car was under 20,000 miles, the seat cover was replaced under warranty, when I look down at it and I see the material is cracking, I just say this is almost the straw that breaks the camel's back. I wish my car were 1 1/2 years older--I'm just so stubborn that the car cannot be replaced until age 4 1/2. A normal car maybe 3 1/2 to 4, but one with this kinda depreciation should really be 5 1/2 but I ain't drivin' it that long. I would probably buy a BMW or Audi, more likely the BMW and get a little "satisfaction." No matter what Nissan does, that is one concept they can't comprehend. Who the f*** cares about a supercharged Frontier when the whole experience is disatisfying?

Whew, I thought I left my paystub in my cube. This girl already complained to my boss I make too much money, the last thing I need is for her to see the numbers because she has no idea how much more it is than she thinks!! Got it in my case. Let the weekend begin boys!

Old 01-21-2001, 06:36 AM

Nissan could learn

From a car company like Hyundai. If Nissan were to warrant their cars bumper-to-bumper for 60,000 miles, they would be out of business. For Hyundai, they know that having the best warranty in the business is no skin off their back since the car is built right in the first place. On the other hand, BMW, Mercedes, it's the opposite and yet the same. They could warrant their cars for a long time too if the warranty helped the car to sell, but the warranty's not needed because the vehicle is built so well to begin with. Nissan just doesn't have the capital needed to make improvements to their driving experience or satisfaction level as you put it. Look at the 5th gen, it's really a continuation of the 4th gen. How many parts do the 2 cars have in common? Here we are 2001 and it's the 7th year of an aging series.
Old 01-21-2001, 07:10 AM

I have a 95, 7 yrs old now and don't share your frustrations; this car is engineered and built well; it's been paid for for 3 years, have 58K miles on it and will probably keep it till at least 125K depending on the extent of any new car itch that may come along. My next sedan will probably be a BMW but can't get that until after we replace the minivan with a burb or fordzilla or something.

Keep those checkstubs clear of prying eyes.
Old 01-21-2001, 08:38 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Nissan could learn

Thats funny....Hyndai are not built good at all IMHO. Been in a recent new one, it was a RATTLE buzzing trap and very uncomfortable. My sentra is so much better.

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
From a car company like Hyundai. If Nissan were to warrant their cars bumper-to-bumper for 60,000 miles, they would be out of business. For Hyundai, they know that having the best warranty in the business is no skin off their back since the car is built right in the first place. On the other hand, BMW, Mercedes, it's the opposite and yet the same. They could warrant their cars for a long time too if the warranty helped the car to sell, but the warranty's not needed because the vehicle is built so well to begin with. Nissan just doesn't have the capital needed to make improvements to their driving experience or satisfaction level as you put it. Look at the 5th gen, it's really a continuation of the 4th gen. How many parts do the 2 cars have in common? Here we are 2001 and it's the 7th year of an aging series.

Old 01-21-2001, 08:39 AM
RussMaxManiac

Some of your symptoms is because the owner did not take proper care of the car. Like the seats cracking, leather will crack unless you take care of it with lots of leather conditioner. The blower motor does not come from a Sentra, the Maxima has a much STRONGER motor.

Originally posted by Johnny
So the battery lasts 30-36 months, rattles start after a few weeks, paint chips off, brand new cars are delivered with rust on the bumper assembly, tranny leaks through switch, center caps discolor, blower motor comes from sentra and squeals on low speed, can't be aligned from 300 miles, clutch whirrs and chatters under 1000 miles, these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm overlooking other defects. I keep telling myself this POS is paid-off, count my blessings. But when I look down at my cheap fake leather seats, one where the lumbar support broke when the car was under 20,000 miles, the seat cover was replaced under warranty, when I look down at it and I see the material is cracking, I just say this is almost the straw that breaks the camel's back. I wish my car were 1 1/2 years older--I'm just so stubborn that the car cannot be replaced until age 4 1/2. A normal car maybe 3 1/2 to 4, but one with this kinda depreciation should really be 5 1/2 but I ain't drivin' it that long. I would probably buy a BMW or Audi, more likely the BMW and get a little "satisfaction." No matter what Nissan does, that is one concept they can't comprehend. Who the f*** cares about a supercharged Frontier when the whole experience is disatisfying?

Whew, I thought I left my paystub in my cube. This girl already complained to my boss I make too much money, the last thing I need is for her to see the numbers because she has no idea how much more it is than she thinks!! Got it in my case. Let the weekend begin boys!

Old 01-21-2001, 09:48 AM

Re: Nissan could learn

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
Thats crazy talk. What is comparable to the 4th gen? Inside...NOPE....body pannels....NOPE.....engine...sure....they did add a couple hp to pull around a larger car. Suspension?..rear was modified. Whats your point? The last gen BWM 3 went from like 92 to 99. Did they scrap evey part form the older 3? NO!!!!! Why would they. They even carried over the same 2.8 ~193ish hp I-6.

I think your the same person that said your putting your money on hundai.....I hope the market is good for you Why has Hundai not fallen yet? WELL....that warranty(10yr/100k bumper) has only been out for what....a year or so. Check back with them in a few years when they are replacing EVERYTHING that goes wrong in under 100K. I drove an older 89 325ix auto(around 100k) a month or two back. The front rotors were wraped to hell....oh...I guess hundai will replace them.

They are betting that sales will sky rocket and cover this.

[Edited by Mike S. on 01-21-2001 at 11:51 AM]
Old 01-21-2001, 12:36 PM
Johnny

my left seat cover was replaced u/warranty

So it's much newer than the rest of the car. The backing to the seat always falls off now. The seat covers are not durable in my opinion--compare your fronts to the rears which probably do not get as much wear. If you touch the "leather seating area" you'll see it is not supple at all. Sure, I shouldn't compare it to a Jaguar as this is a $20,000 car. But if you compare it to a Volvo you'll see the Europeans know leather better than Nissan IMHO. I know, I know, you get what you pay for.

Old 01-21-2001, 01:43 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: my left seat cover was replaced u/warranty

Well, let me state this again. It all depends HOW you take care of your leather. You can make the Maximas LEATHER as soft as a CADDYS. And it will look new for many many years if you take care of it properly. To me, you don't know how to take care of a car. So quit blaming it on the car and blame it on the user.

Originally posted by Johnny
So it's much newer than the rest of the car. The backing to the seat always falls off now. The seat covers are not durable in my opinion--compare your fronts to the rears which probably do not get as much wear. If you touch the "leather seating area" you'll see it is not supple at all. Sure, I shouldn't compare it to a Jaguar as this is a $20,000 car. But if you compare it to a Volvo you'll see the Europeans know leather better than Nissan IMHO. I know, I know, you get what you pay for.

Old 01-21-2001, 02:50 PM

take it ez

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ2kSE
[I]So quit blaming it on the car and blame it on the user.

Russ, you always seem to try to excercise some sort of pseudo know-how on the rest of the forum--it's a shame financial responsibility isn't something you're too good at. All your decisive manuvers and you drive a Sentra, why is that? I don't usually like to use this word, and it may be strong so don't take it the wrong way, but you need to grow up junior. I don't have leather BTW in my car but it didn't seem that great in the Max. Take care of that Sentra Russell, you can drive it for many many years, now can't you?
Old 01-21-2001, 03:24 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: take it ez

Wow, someone telling me my financial state could be better? LOL and how do you know how my state is? Buddy, I am gonna get a 2k1 or 2k2 Maxima within 6 months guranteed loaded, soon after get a house, and hopefully a family after that. I have no credit cards, so why should I be worried?! LOL....mind your own business.....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
[I]
Originally posted by Russ2kSE
So quit blaming it on the car and blame it on the user.

Russ, you always seem to try to excercise some sort of pseudo know-how on the rest of the forum--it's a shame financial responsibility isn't something you're too good at. All your decisive manuvers and you drive a Sentra, why is that? I don't usually like to use this word, and it may be strong so don't take it the wrong way, but you need to grow up junior. I don't have leather BTW in my car but it didn't seem that great in the Max. Take care of that Sentra Russell, you can drive it for many many years, now can't you?