General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 05:28 PM
Moe

I was reading a back issue of SCC and in the Technobabble section, they were talking abou taking the crank and rods out of a vg30 and putting them in the vq30de thereby increasing the displacement to 3.4 litres. Is this possible/plausible and how much would it cost. If it is doable why doesn't anyone else do it?
Old 01-20-2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Moe
I was reading a back issue of SCC and in the Technobabble section, they were talking abou taking the crank and rods out of a vg30 and putting them in the vq30de thereby increasing the displacement to 3.4 litres. Is this possible/plausible and how much would it cost. If it is doable why doesn't anyone else do it?
Hi, Moe. My regards to Larry and Curly. J/K :-)

I think many of the folks on this BBS are *excellent* for advice on bolt-on mods, but if you require an answer on a more technical question, it's hit or miss.

I'm sorry, but I do not know what to tell you about the crank transplant you mentioned. My guess is most Nissan dealers will not only not have a clue, but they will not try to find out for you. Good luck with that.
Old 01-22-2001, 10:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Why? Because you have know what the **** you are doing that's why. Swapping engine parts between engines requires intimate knowledge of BOTH engines. You have to know the bearing journals are the same for the main caps and the rods, you have to know what kind of compression your going to end up w/ after shoving the piston up xxx more in the bore. And is this new compression gonna be able to run on pump gas? Is the new compression gonna be compatible w/ ecu program you currently have? Hell you might end up w/ so much knock, it might run worse after spending 3k getting it built(if it's even possible) Is the piston now gonna contact the exhaust or intake valves at TDC?? Who knows? Hell w/ too much stroke increase, the side of the rod might hit the side of the block at the crank's furthest throw.

That SCC article was THEORY only. Very, very far from reality.
Old 01-22-2001, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Why? Because you have know what the **** you are doing that's why. Swapping engine parts between engines requires intimate knowledge of BOTH engines. You have to know the bearing journals are the same for the main caps and the rods, you have to know what kind of compression your going to end up w/ after shoving the piston up xxx more in the bore. And is this new compression gonna be able to run on pump gas? Is the new compression gonna be compatible w/ ecu program you currently have? Hell you might end up w/ so much knock, it might run worse after spending 3k getting it built(if it's even possible) Is the piston now gonna contact the exhaust or intake valves at TDC?? Who knows? Hell w/ too much stroke increase, the side of the rod might hit the side of the block at the crank's furthest throw.

That SCC article was THEORY only. Very, very far from reality.
The bad news: I don't really know what the **** I am doing. The good news: I *KNOW* I don't really know what the **** I am doing. That's why I enjoy reading most of the posts on this board. I can't tell you all that I have learned about my Maxima in a few short months. I comment sometimes when I have had personal experience with an install, a dealer, a previous post, etc. I've had fun along the way, too!

I've asked all three of my local Nissan/Infiniti dealers about part and/or engine swaps and upgrades, and none of them seem to know or care. They just don't seem to want to mess with it. That's understandable. I conclude there are no inexpensive, practical answers to be found at a Memphis Nissan dealer on this general topic, if anywhere. Oh well...
Thanks for the input.