General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Contribute to the Aftermarket Parts database

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 11:29 PM

Contribute to the Aftermarket Parts database

For everyone who always wants to know "how much does it drop?" "where do I find ____?" "what shock settings with what spring?" and all those other questions that can be generically answered, I'm putting together a user editable site for all the information here:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...aModifications

I've started it already mostly working on the suspension area, and it's based around the idea that anyone can edit it and contribute very similar to posting in this forum. The MaxFAQs is getting very outdated and nobody wants to take care of it, so making one editable by users is a far better idea. The bottom of every page has an "edit" button which lets you edit the page. The syntax of the page should be pretty straightforward, and there are help links at the top. In addition, the system maintains revision history, so if someone vandalizes it, or deletes parts, every individual page can be rolled back to the previous state. A more complete tutorial about how to edit and add new pages is here:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...p?HowToUseWiki

Also feel free to change anything anyone else says if you know it's wrong. We want the most correct information avaliable.

But everyone, if you've got a little info to contribute, this is a great place to do it. A little from everyone builds a big list. And if this becomes a good collection, it is very easy to move to the maxima.org server if needed, but I'll host it for now.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:20 AM

I added my apex sprigns to the list. hope it works
Old 04-23-2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
I added my apex sprigns to the list. hope it works
Yup you got it perfect. If everyone just contributed one piece of info, we'd have a HUGE list and information about every part and a great place to go to look everything up.

Feel free to add anything else.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:47 AM

This could be very helpfull! I think i will start adding some things in the 4th gen performance area. I was orginally going to do something like that for the 4th gen by myself but it would have taken forever. But i started by making a parts list of who makes which parts for the 4th gen maxima. It could help, link is below...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=197065
Old 04-23-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Smithdogg1
This could be very helpfull! I think i will start adding some things in the 4th gen performance area. I was orginally going to do something like that for the 4th gen by myself but it would have taken forever. But i started by making a parts list of who makes which parts for the 4th gen maxima. It could help, link is below...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=197065
Looks like a good list, I've started to add some in, but feel free to add them in yourself. It's hard maintaining and updating a list by yourself, which is why I like this idea, it's updated and maintained completely by the community. And the language it uses is really really easy to follow once you've seen an example. Also if you need a good template to follow, edit the springs page to check out what the source of the page looks like at:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...?MaximaSprings
that's a good one to follow to create new pages.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:06 PM

I have been working on it some. I think over time it could become very good over time. The more people that know about it the better. Maybe this should be stickied? Or at least bumped to the top if it falls a couple pages behind. It would be very difficult for one person to do it all so this is a good idea. I just hope people dont start to get mad people what the wrote is changed.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Contribute to the Aftermarket Parts database

Jhans max needs to be added to your database to get parts at a lower price rather then having other places that charge a bit more. The lowest price flywheel is the Fidenza @ $375.00 shipped.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:48 PM

Re: Re: Contribute to the Aftermarket Parts database

Originally posted by JAY25
Jhans max needs to be added to your database to get parts at a lower price rather then having other places that charge a bit more. The lowest price flywheel is the Fidenza @ $375.00 shipped.
If you know of a website, phone number or email address that someone could order from, go ahead and add the part in along with the contact info. I bet it would be very very useful to everyone. Thanks.

And the progress is AMAZING, we pretty much are close to a complete 4th Gen list of major parts and lowest prices, and it's only been up a day.

And if anyone knows a lower price for anything on the site, feel free to change it. Hopefully nobody will have any hard feelings about people stepping on each other's toes. Speaking of which, whoops about the canadian pricing Good thing u got that explanation in there. Great job to everyone who submitted.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Contribute to the Aftermarket Parts database

Originally posted by drewm
Speaking of which, whoops about the canadian pricing Good thing u got that explanation in there.
Yeah that was me Another idea that i had, is at the top of the Y-pipes page for example to breifly explain what it is, and what kind of gains that you can expect from it.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Contribute to the Aftermarket Parts database

Originally posted by Smithdogg1

Yeah that was me Another idea that i had, is at the top of the Y-pipes page for example to breifly explain what it is, and what kind of gains that you can expect from it.
Sounds like a perfect idea, want to do it like this?

!!Information about Y-pipes

Put description here

!!5th Generation

oops, I just put the layout in already, go ahead and fill in the y-pipe info.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:12 PM

Yeah that works. I did the Y-pipe info. If you put it on all of the peformance pages hopefully they will get filled in...
Old 04-24-2003, 11:43 AM

Bump...
Old 04-24-2003, 04:52 PM

Thanks a ton to Smithdogg1, he's put a lot of effort into the listings so far, looking up lowest prices and filling in the rest of the parts. This is now the biggest database of 4th Gen parts I've ever seen. Now we just need some 3rd and 5th to round it all out. Anyone care to contribute?

For everyone else, if you know a lower price, an item that isn't listed, or a bit of information about a part that others might find useful feel free to add it, we won't get mad with you changing things. Well, unless you make a bad change, then we have your IP number and will come hunt you down Ah, but there isn't much to screw up, and if you do, anyone can roll the page back to the previous state.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:56 PM
SLOW

Might be a good idea to have general descriptions of the parts and then have the ability for people to post their personal opinions/experiences with each part, rather than have one person's opinion of a part included in the description.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Re: Contribute to the Aftermarket Parts database

AWESOME WEBSITE >>> JUST BOOKMARKED IT !
Old 04-24-2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Might be a good idea to have general descriptions of the parts and then have the ability for people to post their personal opinions/experiences with each part, rather than have one person's opinion of a part included in the description.
I actually think that's a good idea, except the pages would probably grow to insane sizes and I'd like to keep this thing easy to read for a person just visiting the site.

I'd say that most of the people who contribute are pretty respectful about other people's comments about parts. But if something is really completely wrong and many people agree with you, I'd highly recommend to just go in there and change it or add to it.

If some part I wrote highly about wasn't liked by a majority of people, I'd understand about my comment being changed, and I'd hope others would feel the same. But if it's just some guy disgruntled with the company, then yes that would be bad.

This whole site is kinda like a group effort on writing an english paper, with everyone's help we gain many many many viewpoints. And I'm very happy with where it's going.