General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

help! question about maxspeed sag

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 11:11 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

help! question about maxspeed sag

hey i need some advise, ive got a 4th gen and ive been loving the drop of the maxspeed springs. but recently kinda out of nowhere its started to sag on the left rear and front right sides (by about an inch). I am woried because i dont want to hurt anything, and plus its visually quite noticable.
please help, has anyone had a problem like this? i dint think maxspeeds had this problem thats why i am asking. could it be the springs or maybe the struts? what should i do?

BIG THANKS.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've never heard of maxspeeds having sag problems. I've had mine for like 9 months now, no sag, no problems. What kinds of struts do you have? Maybe a strut bearing or something?....
Old 04-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

yeah ive got kyb agx's
Old 05-01-2003, 02:16 AM

Did you install them yourself? Possibly put one in upside down? Make sure the coils with gaps between them are on the top, and the coils pressed together are on the bottom. Possibly in the rear the spring could have fallen off the strut mount.
And how can the front right and rear left sag at the same time? wouldn't that push the whole car down? Maybe u parked on uneven pavement?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

i had one of the experienced members of the org install them, but it is sagging on even pavment, its very odd to me also the front and rear oppoisite sides are sagging. more help would be great.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

ohh, and the pressed together coils are on the top not the other way around, are you sure their spose to be on the bottom.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

anyone?
Old 05-03-2003, 01:16 PM

i am rather sure that the coils that are close together are supposed to be on the top
Old 05-03-2003, 02:02 PM

Re: help! question about maxspeed sag

Originally posted by sanjosemaxima
hey i need some advise, ive got a 4th gen and ive been loving the drop of the maxspeed springs. but recently kinda out of nowhere its started to sag on the left rear and front right sides (by about an inch). I am woried because i dont want to hurt anything, and plus its visually quite noticable.
please help, has anyone had a problem like this? i dint think maxspeeds had this problem thats why i am asking. could it be the springs or maybe the struts? what should i do?

BIG THANKS.
I don't understand how your left rear and right front can be low and the others ok. You are saying the right rear and left front are ok?

Your car would have to be bent in order for that to happen.

Maxspeeds should be installed with the writing on the spring so you can read it. That means the coils closer together are on top.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

yeah the writing reads right side up, and the coils are tighter together at the top. but lets say when you look rears the left side has 4 coils that are evenly spaced before they become pressed together, where as the left side there are only 3. so somewhere it is off, and i dont know why?
Old 05-03-2003, 08:45 PM

yeah the writing reads right side up, and the coils are tighter together at the top. but lets say when you look rears the left side has 4 coils that are evenly spaced before they become pressed together, where as the left side there are only 3. so somewhere it is off, and i dont know why?
Make sure the spring isn't falling off either the top or bottom supports, especially the top. That would definately do it.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:49 AM
Sleeps with his maxima!

how would you know if it were mispositioed or not, just by looking at it?
all i know is that the left rear is less than 2finger lengths where the right is like a fist. strange uhh
Old 05-04-2003, 08:10 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I have Maxspeeds. No sagging probs here
Old 05-04-2003, 09:57 AM

I have maxspeeds and the back is fine but my right front is sagging also. All the shops that I went to say the springs/struts is fine but it is surely sagging. I can feel it when I drive.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

exactly, but for me every wheel has a different height. i mean like the left rear wheelwell is about an inch over tire, the front left is about 6 inches, the right front is lower than the left and then the rear right is higher than the left rear. its feels akward, and looks like pure s**t!

anyone else w/ advise?
Old 05-04-2003, 08:42 PM

This is the correct way

ohh, and the pressed together coils are on the top not the other way around, are you sure their spose to be on the bottom.
....and my maxspeed has not sagged close to a year now. That includes a one week trip with about 1000 lbs of payload from Milwaukee to NYC.

I believe yours is the first one to sag.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:35 PM

exactly, but for me every wheel has a different height. i mean like the left rear wheelwell is about an inch over tire, the front left is about 6 inches, the right front is lower than the left and then the rear right is higher than the left rear. its feels akward, and looks like pure s**t!

anyone else w/ advise?
The front left is 6 inches? I bet something is either stuck in your spring, or your spring is sitting half on the spring perch. Jack up your car on the front left, pull off the tire, and take a look, there's going to definately be something visibly wrong.